1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Butler > Capela & Gordon?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 1Deep, Jun 26, 2019.

?

Are you ok with losing Gordon & Capela to add Butler?

1. I'm fine with it.

65 vote(s)
    53.7%
  2. No, it would be a mistake.

29 vote(s)
    24.0%
  3. Not sure

27 vote(s)
    22.3%
  1. 1Deep

1Deep Member

If we end up having to give up both Capela and Gordon to add Butler are we really any better?

I personally think we would be better, but not by very much, especially if we can't find a big to fill Capela's role and someone to provide scoring off the bench the way EG could.

What say you?

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

add chris paul too for salary dump

Xerobull likes this.
  3. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

I think it depends on who we can get to replace Capela at the 5.

I am hoping we can somehow get our hands on Willie Cauley Stein in a 3 team trade. Would really love to see him with CP3 and Harden.

Garner, JVL713, Williamson and 2 others like this.
  4. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

We get better swapping butler for CP3, & continue to fill out the roster

5. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

We will be better playoff team since Capela is a 0 against GSW

Highlyrated, saleem and Rocket River like this.
  6. Jbarrachina

Jbarrachina Member

U
    Losing Gordon is a mistake

7. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

At this point, I'm not even thinking about Capella. So, for me, the real question is Butler > Gordon? Yes, Butler is better in every aspect except scoring and an elite defender. My primary concern is how will two extremely competitive players, CP and Butler, get along when we're not winning games? Are they going to clash when leading plays? Knowing their roles will be very important in the long-run.

We will need to replace Capella, but not by a traditional center, we need length at 4 who can stretch the floor and play center in a small lineup. Someone who is an above average defender, rebounder, and can shoot the 3.

8. Jbarrachina

Jbarrachina Member

Trade Schumpert (still don’t know what his purpose as a Rocket is)

9. viertelasiat

viertelasiat Member

The thing is Capela really only works (or at a minimum is greatly enhanced) because of Harden. I feel like Capela will not drastically improve at this point and he was definitely a liability against Golden State. I think his defense has been questionable at times and his game is very one dimensional. I also believe that Jimmy Butler would be a very sizable upgrade from Gordon.

With all that said, if we have another target center who can play some defense, even if they are not as good as Capela offensively, then I would be fine with it. I think any decent center would play better having a trio of Harden, Gordon and Butler.

I do think though we need to make sure that we maintain contracts that are not significantly unfavorable so we do not put ourselves in a position of not having many tradeable assets.

10. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Yes of course. We will have more flexibility next summer

11. JD88

JD88 Member

Capela has already reached his peak. Hes an athletic big man, but that's about it.

Gordon is good but scoring can be replaced with MLE.

12. Vivi

Vivi Member

I have to think that if the Rockets appear to be so willing to move Capela it's because they're confident they can get a replacement.

If that's true you do this and don't look back, especially if the Rockets still don't know if Gordon wants to extend. What they do know is that he already turned down an extension last summer so, it's likely he'll look to get paid and/or leave anyway in a year, at that point, if you can switch an expiring Gordon with 4 years of Butler, you do that with zero esitation.

joshuaao and 1Deep like this.
  13. Rockets1897

Rockets1897 Member

The answer is obviously yes. We can get a serviceable big man with the MLE. It would be interesting to see what the third team in the trade would be that’s taking Capela. It’s a very complicated deal cause sixers don’t need Capela so we need a third team. Maybe we would have space to take another small contract in return for Capela and the third team gives a pick to sixers? If Butler is willing to sign with us and sixers are open to taking our package rather than having more cap space then Morey will find a way for this to happen.

14. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I would be fine with it if we find a solid defensive center who can rebound really well on both ends of the court. The only free agent that fits that bill is Deandre Jordan but not sure if he would sign for MLE or not. Brook Lopez would be nice but I don't see how that is possible. I think Capela is way more valuable to us than other teams especially if we don't have a playoff series against the Warriors for once. Hopefully someone else will knock them out in the 2nd round or so before Capela goes into turd mode.

Also, if we lose Gordon we obviously need to keep Rivers or sign another scorer/playmaker off the bench that is capable of playing 20-30 minutes each night. I definitely like the pursuit of Danny Green, Al-Farouq Aminu and to a lesser extent Jeremy Lamb. I think the targets from Amick's article are spot on and exactly the type of players we need to chase and see if we can somehow add 1 or 2 of them to this team. Lamb did put up 15 pts a game last season with better efficiency and all around stats than Gordon. Could be a good target for the MLE but may command more than that.

Also, forgot about Kevon Looney being a target. He is underrated due to his ugly playing style but he is all over the court on both offense and defense. Also has championship experience and plays pretty smart. Would be a good rotation piece to have in case we lose Capela. Maybe we re-sign Faried or maybe Hartenstein steps up this year. Either way I am only okay with losing Capela if we are able to get a good 2 way center that does all of the dirty work because that is what we will need more than anything else.

1Deep likes this.
  15. Rockets1897

Rockets1897 Member

Eric Gordon will get paid in a year WE ARE SCREWED for the future if he bolts and we are left without a replacement. Then the window really closes forever. This year is the last chance to fix the roster by adding another star to replace cp3s inevitable further decline.

16. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

The problem isn’t if Capela and Gordon <=> Butler. If you told me i could get butler for those to. Yes plus maybe even a couple picks. He’s definitely better. The problem is the hard cap. Doing that trade under the scenario we’re facing means there’s no way to really fill out the roster after the trade.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Remember, an expiring Gordon.

JuNx likes this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Paul
    Gordon
    Harden
    Tucker
    Capela
    MLE signing
    Shumpert (can re-sign to a larger deal if you want)
    Clark
    Hartenstein
    min
    min
    min
    min
    min
    Can still trade Shumpert, Gordon and/or Capela later. Can still sign buyouts in February/March.

Paul
    Harden
    Butler
    Tucker
    Jordan or Looney (let's say CF dream scenario plays out & one of them accepts the $5.7M)
    Clark
    Hartenstein
    min
    min
    min
    min
    min
    min
    min
    Hard capped, no buyouts, no trades
    Chris Paul will miss his 15-20 games again.

This is semi-realistic (minus the Austin Rivers part) but there's no depth.
    Danuel House who was in the doghouse
    Gerald Green who everyone said should be in the doghouse
    Tyson Chandler & Jared Dudley on their last legs
    Thabo meh OK
    Clark & Hartenstein, maybe Mike trusts them more in year two, maybe not?

Didn't we just watch the Raptors? "Oh Kawhi has so much help. Kawhi's supporting cast is carrying him. Look at Toronto's depth."

But hey, we'll have our big two and a quarter & knock on wood!

"We're not better than last year," he said, "from a personnel standpoint."

“It’s like when you don’t have bodies. It’s tough,” said James, who had a triple-double in the loss. “The ****ing grind of the regular season. We’re a top-heavy team. We have a top-heavy team. We top-heavy as sh-t. It’s me, Kyrie, Kevin. It’s top-heavy.”

“We need a ****ing playmaker,” James added. “I’m not saying you can just go find one, like you can go outside and see trees. I didn’t say that.”

"They've got bodies," James said of San Antonio when asked about the Spurs' beating the Cavs without Pau Gasol or Tony Parker. "They've got bodies. For the most part, all championship-contending teams has got guys that are ready to step in. Knock on wood, what if Ky goes down? For two weeks. Let's say two. What if I went down for three weeks?"

A reporter responded to James that many wonder how Cleveland would do if James tapered his minutes at the end of the month, as Cavs coach Ty Lue said was the plan.

"Yeah, y'all are worried about five minutes. What if I went down for two weeks?" James said. "Trying to build something, you know?"

#18 J.R., Jun 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    D-rock and J Sizzle like this.
  19. JHarden713

JHarden713 Member

We won't give up both

If Butler decides to come here he'll option in n we would only have to match 20 million, so Gordon n fillers.

We would give him max after next season, just like with CP. Come on people, ya really think we're gonna give up both Gordon n Capela

20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

In a vacuum, yes. But given the sign and trade restrictions that come with it, it’s not worth it.