1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bush and Clinton stress value of humility in Oval Office

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, Jul 14, 2017.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Bush and Clinton stress value of humility in Oval Office

Former Presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush spoke together Thursday afternoon at a public event at the Bush Center on the qualities of leadership.

Event moderator, billionaire David Rubenstein, asked the two at the scholastic leadership event in Dallas about what they viewed as the most important quality for someone who wants to be President. Both stressed the virtue of humility.

"I think it's really important to know what you don't know and listen to people who do know what you don't know," Bush said.

Clinton -- who, like Bush, didn't mention President Donald Trump -- agreed that officeholders need to be humble, and warned that those "who are real arrogant in office" have forgotten that history will be their judge.

"If you want to be President, realize it's about the people, not about you," Clinton said. "You want to be able to say, 'People were better off when I quit.' ... You don't want to say 'God, look at all the people I beat.'"

Clinton and Bush have developed a friendship over the years, especially as Clinton and former President George H.W. Bush collaborated in their post-presidential periods. During the conversation, the two chummily exchanged compliments and light-hearted barbs.

Clinton complimented his successor on immigration in relation to current members of the Republican Party.

"I told George once a year or so ago, I said I hope you're not the last Republican president who's not afraid of immigrants," Clinton said.

Clinton also spoke at length about his concern over political polarization and people only seeking information corresponding to their ideologies. He said it bothers him more than anything else when it comes to his concerns about the future.

"We don't want to be around very many people who disagree with us normally," Clinton said. "We get news in silos."

He argued that this perpetuates political stagnation. "We all vote for the gridlock we say we hate," Clinton said.

The rapport between the two, many years removed from political office, came as a stark contrast from the massive political fights they grappled with during their presidencies and the contemporary political climate. They attributed part of their close relationship in the face of partisan differences and competition to gracious personal behavior between them personally.

"When I left office, I told him, I said if I can ever help you, I'll do it," Clinton said. "If I can't in good conscience, I won't, but I'll never embarrass you in public. And you know (my wife Hillary Clinton) was a senator. I said I may have to make some comment that disagrees with some policy of yours, but I will always do it respectfully, and I want you to succeed."

Clinton added that he viewed working with Bush's father "one of the great gifts" of his life.
    Likewise, Bush said part of his affection for Clinton came from Clinton's humble victory over his father in 1992.

"I think it starts with Bill Clinton being a person who refused to lord his victory over Dad," Bush said. "In other words, he was humble in victory, which is very important in dealing with other people."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/13/politics/george-w-bush-bill-clinton-dallas/index.html

No Worries and London'sBurning like this.
  2. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

This makes me sad for the current state of things.

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

The "ex-Presidents club" is small and exclusive. And much respect should be conveyed to all those who held the most important and difficult job. It is always comforting to see the group of ex-Presidents together... they usually show much respect towards each other. Even those you would think would be antagonists (eg. Clinton and Bush, though I suspect that respect and admiration was fostered by the closeness between Clinton and GWHB who worked closely on a number of philanthropic projects.

We're in difficult times. But ignoring that, one would question how the EPC would view the current president. Which only speaks volumes about the current job holder. Which also perhaps is the theme of the topic and Clinton/GWBs talk...

R0ckets03 and KingCheetah like this.
  4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Bush stresses the value of lying about something that really matters in starting wars while in office

They can't make a big enough rolled eyes

edwardc and Exiled like this.
  6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

trump will never be in the ex-presidents club. interpret that as you want

edwardc likes this.
  7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

GWB >>>>>>>>>>>> Dump

8. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Trump will be the president for eternity confirmed!

9. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

You're one troll that won't give up, it's pretty sickening. Trump is a POS and I'd rather have GWB back in office which says a lot.

10. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

well that's because you're a moron.

11. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Don't worry, your boy will be out of office soon enough and you'll have to find a new occupation.

R0ckets03 likes this.
  12. conquistador#11

I remember a time when man shook hands with mutual respect and admiration for each other
    [​IMG]

13. NewRoxFan

Wonderful picture that shows Clinton's own humility, sense of humor, and respect for the two former presidents. I'd expect that Trump would never take such a picture, but rather him making a fist at them, or flipping them off, or peeing on them.

R0ckets03 likes this.
  14. edwardc

edwardc Member

Totally agree he just not that presidential.

15. NewRoxFan

GHWB tweeted this picture out... the two ex-Presidents continue to have a close bond...

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Illuminati lizard men don't like Blunderberg orange man.

Keep up doin God's Work, Donny! Bang those 100k hoes for me while you're at it!