1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Buffoon]China Humiliates Trump with Schrodinger's Armada Story

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rashmon, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

From the bigtexx files...

“Schrodinger’s U.S. aircraft carrier”: Asian countries mock White House’s “armada” mishap
    All jokes aside, countries are starting to doubt the military's ability to work effectively

When the U.S. announces that its military is dispatching a naval armada to the Sea of Japan, it is usually not a laughing matter. But all of Asia could not help but snicker at the news that a communications error prompted the White House to declare prematurely that an aircraft carrier was en route to the Korean Peninsula.

On Wednesday, the editor’s note on the Chinese news portal Guancha.cn, for example, was “Schrodinger’s U.S. aircraft carrier.”

“The original situation in Northeast Asia suddenly turned into a comedy,” the website wrote about the Trump administration’s latest communications flop.

The Global Times, a Chinese nationalistic tabloid, wrote that President Donald Trump’s missing armada will “sour” his authority.

North Korea’s state-run news service called Washington’s premature announcement a “bluff” that was seen as a “warning act” against the isolated country, The Wall Street Journal reported.

Asian media outlets were not the only ones to on Trump. Politicians also had a few choice words for the U.S. government.

South Korean presidential candidate Hong Joonpyo, of former leader Park Geun-hye’s ruling party, suggested that Trump’s gaffe will harm America’s credibility in the region.

“What Mr. Trump said was very important for the national security of South Korea. If that was a lie, then during Trump’s term, South Korea will not trust whatever Trump says,” Hong said.

According to NPR, the USS Carl Vinson and its companions are now making their way back to the Korean Peninsula. Because Trump has lost so much credibility, however, none of Asia believed this latest report.

Taylor Link is a news writer at Salon. You can find him on Twitter at @taylorlink_

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  2. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

China has been laughing at the US for the past two years since their South China Sea territory grab and their subsequent refusal to comply with international law. The SCS is lost. South Korea could be next. Trump needs to take a stronger stance (i.e. Re-establish diplomatic ties with Taiwan).

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

How does Taiwan help us? It's a poke in China's eye, but I don't see how it helps us. China has a billion people, nukes, economic power. They are a world power and may be the pre-eminent world power of the future. We could engage in some preemptive hegemonic struggle to try to stop them from becoming equal to or greater than us in international influence. But, it's probably not a winner for us. WWI was about France trying to stop Germany from upstaging them as a world power and they both lost in the end. Don't repeat history. Recognize China is a freight train that won't be stopped and find a way we can peacefully coexist.

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Never send the Carl's Jr. battle group to a hot area -- they will do a 180 away from action every time.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

We are sending a very powerful ARMADA to... ... ... Australia.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It's essentially a Chinese government newspaper. While I think trump is a blithering idiot, I don't pay any attention to what comes out of that rag, "The Global Times."

Bob Barker 007 likes this.
  7. Cohete Rojo

The US is as strong as its allies. Our NATO allies treat us like like a sugar-daddy (i.e. they can't meet a measly 2% commitment), and we may very well have already lost an ally in South Korea.

Taiwan is like Israel: a state who's neighbors refused or continue to refuse to recognize as a sovereign nation. It took a lot of negotiation to convince Egypt and other nations to recognize Israel. Because it's difficult doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.

China's pulling an old "We have a 14th century map showing our territorial claim"-trick on the world. By most accounts they won't have a joint military command until 2020, but yet they have a "core leader".

Chamberlaining our way into a conflict is irresponsible and ignorant of history. The US has disciplined Russia for its aggression. It needs to do the same to China for its own.

8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The only thing I can say is that people gave Hillary a hard time for talking about coming under fire when she landed in a war zone which was completely untrue. Now Trump tells this worse lie about the Fleet heading to the area.

9. Cohete Rojo

Yes, Trump lied when Mattis correctly said the USS Carl Vinson was heading to the Western Pacific.

10. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Uhm that's not what Trump said. Mattis was correct, and yes you are correct that Trump lied. It's also possible that he didn't understand what Mattis was saying.

Make whatever excuses you would like, I don't really care.

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Clumsily parsing other people's words is what red crackpot and agent orange does.

CometsWin and FranchiseBlade like this.
  12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Your remain totally clueless about Taiwan. Not even Trump is ignorant enough to re-establish diplomatic ties with Taiwan. China would basically consider this an act of war. No other country would support the U.S. doing this. It would throw the whole world into turmoil and lead to war.

Grow up, read up and learn a little about Asian diplomacy before blowing smoke here. Find me one single politician of any stature that supports diplomatic relations with Taiwan. You can go all the way to the right-wing ditch and nobody thinks that is a good idea.

FranchiseBlade and adoo like this.
  13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Folks the above is why you don't let your kids read propaganda (aka "fake news" into the modern verse). You get a Cohete Rojo.

This whole this is embarrassing and not in a good way. If Trump was bluffing, he's playing a dangerous bluff. This isn't a real estate deal where if your bluff gets called you lose some dollars. It could result is people losing their lives. If this wasn't a bluff then he is incompetent.

Either way, he is quickly destroying America's cred.

14. Cohete Rojo

Please feel free to quote Trump.

15. Cohete Rojo

Would an invasion of the South China Sea be considered an act of war?

I'm not clueless, I just don't care about China's temper-tantrums (i.e. presidents meeting with the Dalai Lama, aka The Wolf in Sheep's Clothing).

16. Cohete Rojo

You can call Trump's statements misleading, but they certainly hit a North Korean nerve. First, the surprise missile parade, then threats about counteracting the US's navy, and now this.

17. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

Pre-warhead-delivery-system-PRK, "super mighty preemptive" would be a South Park style punchline. It's not quite as funny now, but I still think they'll blink. Regimes such as this are far more interested in staying in power than $hitting themselves in a bunker, waiting for a bomb to dematerialize them.

#17 wouldabeen23, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't think hitting nerves is really the point of foreign relations. Have we done anything to advance our interests in reducing North Korean aggression? In stopping their nuclear capability? Of ending the Kim regime and re-uniting the peninsula? Seems to me we're just upping the likelihood that this all ends in bloodshed.

19. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Okay, for you, I will. It's odd that you ask about this since it has been all over the news, but here you go.

This is what Trump told Xi to tell the leader of N. Korea. Here are some quotes.

It isn't in question that Trump lied or was perhaps just clueless. Neither of these are excusable when the stakes are this high.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Somebody better let him know! This is a big deal. A really big deal. Also, we have the planes, THAT FLY WITH JET ENGINES...NO PROPELLERS, it's tremendous, really tremendous. WHOOSH BANG. Just like that.

Also we have the TV dinners - the full meal that comes in a little tin tray, no more mess....which, you have to let him know. This is tremendous stuff, they haven't seen this kind of stuff.