1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Buchanon and Babin take a seat

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by TigerBait, Sep 20, 2005.

1. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Benching P-Bust is a smart move.

Orr has been great during the time he has been on the field, so maybe he can continue that for a sustained amount of time.

2. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Buchanon is rightly being benched - I was deeply worried in the preseason when I quickly noticed how adverse he is to contact. Every opportunity, it seemed as if he avoided direct chest tackles for arm tackles from the side or a foolish/hopeless attempt for a pick. Playing like a dainty ballerina instead of a football player.

As far as Babin, I thik he's getting some unfair flack. Yes, he's been piss-poor this year. But he's a DE being asked to play OLB. It's a completely different role. He's being asked to make reads and have snap judgements for coverage that demand experiance, and he's coming from a position that is mostly tunnel vision (get around your man, sack the f out of the QB, and watch for a run or screen on your side). IMHO, it's easier to convert safeties to LB, since they're also trained to read plays as they happen. Or to convert OLBs to DE (less thinking).

Moving Babin in the first place seems to be the mistake to me.

Evan

3. Mattj

Mattj Member

Moves had to be made...I have to admit...I was initially on board with the Buchanon pickup, but he simply doesn't have it....I like Shante Orr, he doesn't look like a LB, but he finds his way to the ball when he's out there...Petey Fagins is a crap shoot, more importantly the Texans have to change their philosophy in the secondary and allow Robinson to cover the opposition's best WR all over the field as opposed to leaving him on the weak side all game long for run support purposes...

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I hate the "___ can't play ____ in this system" talk. But Babin really is too small to play DE in the 3-4. He's stuck at LB as long as he is with the Texans.

5. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Thats true. Armstrong has been the second best wideout on this team for two years now and Bradford is still starting. I don't get it.

6. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I believe that this is only temporary. Faggins understands the better than P-Buc and therefore less risky. Babin just needs to be knocked upside the head.

7. u851662

u851662 Contributing Member

Man, I thought I was the only one who noticed this. Armstrong is straight clutch. You never see him catch the ball with his body. Always with his hands. I trust Armstrong to catch the ball before any other player on the team. That includes Andre Johnson. Andre is the man, but Armstrong definetly has the best hands. Its just like in basketball when you need your role players to hit the open jumper for your star players. Time to man up and hold these players accountable

8. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thank God... they're finally allowing Dunta to move around the field. What good is he as a shut down corner if the side of the field he's taking away isn't the side of the field the other team wants to throw to?!? How hard of a pre-snap read is it for Big Ben or even J.P. Losman to see that P-Burnt is on the Right side of the formation and have his number one guy line up on that side? I could never understand why the Texans allowed their corners to guard sides rather than players. Sure the technique might be a little different, but the NFL is all about matchups, right?

On a related note, Dallas lost the game yesterday because Aaron Glenn was playing his usual side and got matched up with a burner in Santana Moss. With SS Roy Williams being the one to give him help over the top, Glenn and the Cowboys were beat with two big pass plays. Same thing would happen last year. Our best safety, Coleman, was always on Dunta's side and Glenn was getting late help from Brown/Earl. If Glenn were to move around, he could be helped by the FS rather than the SS. But's he's always playing on the offensive right side of the formation.

9. TigerBait

TigerBait Contributing Member

The reason they put Dunta on the left is in order to "put him in better positions to blitz" and "get help versus the run" (why that would make a difference I'm not sure, more teams tend to run to the left side of the line I guess :confused: ), but I agree with you because at this point we just need to get back to the basics, and can't afford to have their #1 reciever running free. It's amazing how P-Burnt plays 15 yards off of a reciever, and still get beat downfield. However, good teams are going to exploit that weakness regardless of which side the CB opposite of Dunta is on, but better their #2 try to beat us than their #1.

10. u851662

u851662 Contributing Member

Goodpoint Desi... I didnt know there where some football minds here. IMO when I played DB in highschool, if your an athlete it doesnt matter what side you line up on. Its all in your head.

11. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

The P-Burnt show is on 790am right now. LOL

mattj and chance, why don't you get a Jason Babin show?

#31 The Real Shady, Sep 20, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2005
  12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Ding Ding Ding.

13. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Here I thought Buchanon was a good player. I was expecting a lot from him after seeing him praised by some guy on ESPN.

I want GLenn back!

14. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

No you don't. You may want the picks we gave up for Buchanan back, but you don't want Glenn back. :D

15. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

I'm not sure which is worse. Making the coach of our offensive lineman the new offensive coordinator or most of out draft picks. :confused: This team is in deep trouble. So much for the 3 year plan. ;)