1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BSPN] LA Fakers to aggressively pursue Hassan Whiteside

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rockets34Legend, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/1...ressively-pursue-hassan-whiteside-free-agency

The Los Angeles Lakers plan to aggressively pursue Miami Heat center Hassan Whiteside when NBA free agency starts, according to league sources.

With rim protection and perimeter shooting ranking as the Lakers' foremost areas of concern heading into the open market, sources told ESPN.com that Whiteside has emerged as a priority target for L.A.

The Lakers, like the Heat, are still hopeful of securing a face-to-face recruiting meeting with Oklahoma City Thunder star Kevin Durant once free agency season commences at 12:01 a.m. on July 1. But the Lakers, sources say, are highly intrigued by Whiteside and what he could bring them as a double-double presence inside.

ESPN.com reported earlier this week that the Dallas Mavericks also intend to be a serious suitor for Whiteside, with Dallas expected to land one of the first recruiting meetings Whiteside conducts in the opening hours of free agency. The Portland Trail Blazers are another team that has been linked with Whiteside, and there will surely be others.

After averaging 14.8 points, 11.8 rebounds and a league-leading 3.7 blocks per game last season, Whiteside is expected to command a maximum contract this season, with a first-season salary forecasted to be in the $22 million range.

"More than likely, players out there in free agency, our No. 1 priority is Hassan Whiteside," Heat president Pat Riley told reporters after the season. "He's 26 years old. He's a game-changer."

ESPN.com also reported this week that that Lakers, Orlando Magic and Detroit Pistons are among the teams expected to pursue Atlanta Hawks free agent-to-be Al Horford.

Longtime Heat star Dwyane Wade will also be a free agent and is expected to stay with the only team he's ever played for.

The Heat have only early Bird rights on Whiteside, meaning they must use cap space to sign him for more than a league average salary and cannot offer a fifth year on his deal. A maximum contract for Whiteside would be a projected $94.8 million over four years.

2. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I can't make up my mind about Whiteside.

Whether I'm interested or HELL NAW. It's very strange that there's seemingly no in-between, IMO.

3. lalala902102001

The Lakers management under Mitch Kupchak has always been solid. All signs pointing to them turning this thing around quickly. I would not be surprised if Whiteside becomes a Laker next season.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I really like Whiteside as a fit on the Rockets under MDA.

But also can see them saying that perhaps Capela can be 60%-70% of that at 10% the salary.

Whiteside on the Lakers does make sense for them.

5. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

Let's see what they can do without prime Kobe

6. malakas

malakas Member

Now that Orlando has traded for Ibaka surely ESPN can't still believe they will go after Horford right?

Anyway LAL are in a tough spot. DD one of their main targets already turned them down and so has Durant.
    They have like 60 million dollars and nowhere to spend them.

7. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

I expect Whiteside will end up with LAL. Malakas mentioned it earlier in season, and I think despite his success off the bench, he wants to be THE GUY. On top of that, everything I heard during the season (from LeBatard) was that Miami just doesn't want to max Hassan out, primarily due to a pursuit of KD. Will Hassan wait, or will he immediately jump ship with a max contract to LA? Too enticing IMO.

If it happens they might be a top Leauge Pass team - Russell/Clarkson/Ingram/Randle/Hassan could be pretty enjoyable to watch.

8. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, i'm not sure why a guy like Whiteside should have interest in the Lakers at this point, their core is just too young to compete in the next 3 years...and it's not like he can get the max only from them. They should trade for an all star if they want to have at least a small chance with big names like LMA, Durant...Whiteside is not on that level but in this free agency he's still a top 5 guy.

9. Vivi

Vivi Member

Now, if he really wants that yeah, the Lakers may have a chance. That's really the only reason though, and besides, other teams can sell him that.

10. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Good. Player I do not like might go to a team I do not like.

Curious to see how whiteside will play after hè gets his big contract.

11. Vivi

Vivi Member

Just a couple of days ago he said something like "i'm not a player, i'm a business man", just saying...

12. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

why are they the fakers?

13. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

buncha ymca scrubs

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Good. Those two deserve each other. The Rockets shouldn't want anything to do with Whiteside. While talented, once this guy gets paid he will again and again prove that he has the brain of a Labrador.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Bynam 2.0
    Rich Man's Kwame Brown?

Rocket River

16. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Hassan Whiteside is all about fame & goofing around. He likes to be around the big stars. LA or Miami is where he ends up.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Whiteside says he hopes yo have his free agent decision in July 1</p>&mdash; Ira Winderman (@IraHeatBeat) <a href="https://twitter.com/IraHeatBeat/status/747155163878666248">June 26, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Asked if all things were equal whether he'd stay in Miami. Whiteside said &quot;we'll see.&quot;</p>&mdash; Ira Winderman (@IraHeatBeat) <a href="https://twitter.com/IraHeatBeat/status/747155385488973824">June 26, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

18. malakas

malakas Member

1 july? ahahahah suck it Riley.
    This is on purpose .

And good. Outright sign of how immature Whiteside remains.

19. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

Someone mentioned he's looking at the teams in places where there isn't a state income tax?

That leaves Miami, Houston and Dallas.

20. Major

Major Member

It's a negotiating tactic, likely pushed by his agent - not sure how that shows immaturity. :confused: