1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bryce Petty?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Teen Wolf, Sep 27, 2014.

1. mick fry

mick fry Member

Yeah I feel good about going into season with hopefully Mallett, Savage and Fitz/Keenum. Mallett needs more reps to work on his touch passes but he can definitely stretch the field. Petty could be an option if we need that third guy if one or two of the others doesnt make it to camp for some reason.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think we bring all of those guys into camp and maybe even draft another QB in the mid to late rounds and let them have a competition to make the roster. Best 3 make it, everyone else is cut. As much as I want Keenum to succeed, I don't think he has a future here, but I think he's earned one more trip to camp.

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

If Kubiak gets the HC job at Buffalo, Keenum should follow.

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

If we're going to draft a QB, draft one in the first 3 rounds. It's extremely rare for a QB taken from the 4th on down to become a solid, long term, starter. The best you can hope for is a Project QB. We took one of those last year. You can't do that every year though because you'll never give those guys the time they need to develop (if they ever do).

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Or in that case, they could just stick with Mallett... who at the very least will be better than any rookie QB can possibly be next year (excluding the super-special ones that will already be drafted).

6. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Agreed. Savage needs at least one more season to see how he progresses and we can't have two project QB's backing up Mallett.

7. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Mallett will also at the very least be better than Fitzpatrick and has a higher ceiling than what we have already seen from him.

8. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Honest question...why is there so much confidence in Mallett being at worst, as good as Fitz had been? The Cleveland game, he looked good in running an up tempo offense, but he didn't make many impressive throws...he just did well with lining up the offense, making adjustments, and snapping the ball at a quick pace. At the end of the day, throwing is more important than anything and Ryan didn't do anything special from that perspective at all. In that game, PFF rated him at a 0.9 score, which means he didn't help the team or hurt the team. The following week, he got a -8.3, which means he abolished any chance of winning.

My issue with Mallett is that his accuracy sucks. He has a cannon of an arm, but that means absolutely nothing if you can't place it. He seems to have a good grasp of what the defense is doing, which I would expect after sitting years behind Brady. However, accuracy is something that isn't learned and can only slightly be improved upon.

I understand the notion that Mallett has a higher ceiling than Fitz (that's not hard to do)...but I think his potential to be worse than Fitz is at least equally as high.

9. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

He also had a torn pec. I am sure that played a factor. Grade 3 tears(which require surgery)limit the ability to go through a normal throwing motion. In order to properly complete a throwing motion, the person is to use almost all TRICEP to throw the ball as the ability to complete this process is severely hindered.

Look, the jury is still out on Mallet. He looked great his first game, and completely awful the second. But lets not forget the injury that occurred with him was a big reason why he couldn't hit an open receiver.

I think he is a better player than Fitz, but I could be wrong. Eye test usually don't fail. Numbers do lie, and Fitz's Titan game was a crazy outlier that really skewed his stats.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well the off-season is a time for optimism. There was a lot to like in his first outing even if the PFF score wasn't that impressive. Obviously his second outing was hampered by injury and he had one of the worst QB performances in the past several years for the Texans but he gets a pass because he was gimped up.

11. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Ditch 'em all and draft Petty, the kid can make every throw in the book.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well if he's still there by the time the Texans 5th round pick rolls around, they might just scoop him up.

13. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

He was ranked the #5 QB before Cook said he was going back to school. The top 2 are going #1 & #2, how long do you think #'s 3 & 4 will stay on the board?
    (#3 would be Hundley)

#93 Dubious, Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

We'll see how it plays out, but the early scouting reports on Petty aren't very favorable, as of today, I'd be shocked if he went earlier than the 4th round.

15. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

PFF gives an accurate representation of the eye test...they don't incorporate numbers into their grading...and they have three people rate every game so there isn't any bias. Mallett did some things well in the Cleveland game, but really, he didn't do anything that stood out from 60 other NFL quarterbacks.

As far as the injury, I have a hard time believing he was as injured at the end of the game than at the beginning. In other words, I think the injury was progressively getting worse as the game wore on. No way you throw lasers like that with a torn pec. From the onset of that game, he was missing guys by a mile. It's one thing to have an injury and throw short or not have enough umph on the ball, but it's a whole different ballgame when your receiver is 25 yards downfield and you're throwing a rocket that is a solid 10 yards above their head. Dude must be Aaron Rodgers on roids if he can really launch the ball that hard with a torn muscle. In other words, I think he was hurt, but not enough to give him a free pass for that game.

All in all, I definitely believe the upside is there with Mallett, but it gets tricky, because lots of back up QBs have upside. Problem with Mallett is that I believe is downside is much lower than Fitz. And the problem with Fitz is that his upside isn't high.

Basically, I think Mallett should be given a shot to start, but the team needs a back up plan or someone else that is equally capable of starting. Whether that's Savage or Petty, I don't know. Keenum, I know, has no place on this team.

DraftTek is pegging Hundley to Texans in the first round.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This is kind of where I am . . . . Mallet is a whole lot of HOPE
    Just not as much as Savage or Case
    He has been in the league going on 7 or 8 years and those were his first two games in a regular season
    Lord knows I'm no Schaub backer but he did have a better resume than Mallet when it came to actual playing time etc.

As for Petty . .. he has to be a VAST Improvement over Savage and Case to 'waste' a pick on him [the pick being the one we spent on Savage]

Rocket River

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

I know he's short but Blake Sims might not be a bad gamble.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

To do what?

19. NBAandNFLFan

NBAandNFLFan Member

noooo not another air raid qb

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

Throw the pigskin. 64% and 9 YPA ain't too shabby. Dude has an arm.