1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bryce Drew

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketball, Dec 1, 1999.

Tags:
  1. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think you Bryce Drew bashers (you know who you are, Francis3, Hardwood, etc...) need to come clean and give this guy his due. He has played very well the last couple of games. And I can see it already, he is going to have a bad game soon, everybody does, and you will be all over him again, saying how bad he is. So, while he is playing well, your quiet.... I really think he does a great job coming off the bench, its time for you to step to the plate and realize it too.......

2. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Well me , Hardwood and other ppl like us that think drew sucks are all smart. First of all. He did have like 2 good games and made his shots. But WHO GIVES A ****. When he misses his shots they are like so off. He barley makes shots. And his defense has got to be the worst. He sucks, he doesnt know what he is doing. Im tired of him, He doesnt understand anything. He plays well when he has his head in the right place. But 99.9% he always does something dumb.

Great Example I want to say is this.

Vancover and Houston
    Rockets 116-107. Rockets leading with 20 seconds left. Ok game is over. They gave the ball to Drew, He could of held the ball and waited to get fouled, But when they tried to foul him, what did he do? HE THREW IT TO THE END OF THE COURT for barkley which was stolen and thrown back to rahim for a 3. And in matter of 3 to 4 seconds the game was down to 6.

Thats just ****ed up right there. We need to get a veteran pg. ANYONE, Someone who knows what to do if Francis is out.

I know some you guys will say . . HE MADE THAT BIG SHOT that brought the game back. But who cares, he sucks on defense. He made 1 shot.

But who cares, FREE THROWS AND BADD BAD REF CALLS COST THE GAME TONIGHT.

3. Wait a minute...what did Drew hit one or two shots?

Watching him Dribble around the top of the arc for about 15 seconds, when the Rox needed a quick score, in the OT negated any positive thing he might of done tonight.

Then watching him force that crappy running jump 2 inches off of the floor shot, that was burgered back into a fast break was rediculous.

4. treeman

treeman Member

You guys don't give Drew enough credit.

On the past two games he was doing something like 7-8 shooting. I don't know what it was after the PHO game, but it can't be ignored either way.

He has the talent... all he needs is position. He needs Rudy to asign him a definite position. Once that happens...

He'll get Matt-like points, except more often.

He's a shooter, not a PG.

5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

"Watching him Dribble around the top of the arc for about 15 seconds, when the Rox needed a quick score, in the OT negated any positive thing he might of done tonight."

How could he have been dribbling around for 15 seconds when there were under 10 seconds left to play in the game when the play started? So something he did when the game was already out of reach (down 6 w/under 10 secs left) negates anything positive? Makes sense. Are you this strict on all players?

"Then watching him force that crappy running jump 2 inches off of the floor shot, that was burgered back into a fast break was rediculous."

Trying to make something out of a busted play with the shot clock winding down is ridiculous?

6. treeman

treeman Member

Bryce is a shooter, we have no other players who can pull PG time, what would you have Rudy do???

Stevie can't be there 48 minutes every night. I'd like to see us get a real PG, but that will cost $ and minutes for Stevie.

If you can come up with a solution that fixes those three problems, please, don't hold it hostage. Please, tell us. Or quit b****ing.

7. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

Francis may not be able play 48min a night, but theres no reason for Rudy not to play him at least 40min a game.

I think its the way Rudy substitutes Francis is what people are upset about. Some times Rudy leaves him out too long during crunch time, when its obvious that Francis isn't tired at all.

Also I dont understand why people say we need another pg so much. To me Francis is already superstar in the likes of an Iverson, a Kidd, our even a Payton. Does Phoniex's teams success depend on how good their backup for Kidd is. No, because their backup's never recieving any playing time.

So my point is Rudy needs to have Francis on the court as much as possible, and Drew on the court as least as possible. I'm a damn genius, huh. [​IMG]

8. PhiSlammaJamma

I don't mind that Drew played a lot of OT minutes, but somebody please tell me why Drew was inserted to make a "defensive" stand at the end of regulation. I know Francis was out, but Drew, c'mon, we could have come up with a better defensive unit if we had left him on the bench. I applaud Mobley and Cato for geting it done perfectly, on a PICK and ROLL none the less, but Drew could have been exploited big time by Hardaway. Thank God Ainge is a moron.

[This message has been edited by PhiSlammaJamma (edited December 02, 1999).]

9. Finalfantasy

Finalfantasy Member

Drew is playing well as he hit 1-2? why don't we vote him as an all star then?

Drew does use too much time to bring the ball up court, not every time but it's ridiculous to see him using 10 seconds to do that.

Anyway, am not sure if Drew can be a good player, he is slow to defend pgs, short to defend sgs. His defensive weakness is just too obvious. Unless he can shoots like the hoop is a black hole he will have a hard time in the NBA.

10. CaucasionSensation

Everybody, Bryce Drew may not be the backup point we need right now, but currently he is doing a decent job. His turnovers that everybody so joyfully complained about are few and far between these days. His shooting is consistent. How many shots did he miss in Vancouver. Did he not help in Portland. This guy has made tremendous strides in the 15 games the Rockets have played, from where he was at this preseason, and still there are many here on this board who will not give him a fair shake no matter what. He's not the backup I had in mind for this season, or the backup I want but he's doing a decent job. Where would we be last night if he hadn't saved the ball from going backcourt in OT. That play was where Cato had the three point play. We would have lost sooner. Mobley and he are growing before our eyes. They have each improved there games alot between now and the beggining of the season.

11. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am enjoying watchin Drew's confidence grow almost as much as I am enjoying watching Francis mature. I think Drew has the potential to be a starter in this league and just as some of us were willing to be patient with Francis for 3 years we should be the same with Drew. I don't know what Rudy's long term plans for Drew are but with the way Drew shoots the ball, once Drew shows that he is a point guard and not just a shooter he will be very valuable trade bait. Sometimes I think Rudy is trying to get Drew to work through all of his problems now so that he can be traded by season's end. At any rate, Drew brings some valuable skills to the table and I think his hustle makes up for many of the mistakes he has made. He just has to keep his confidence high and he'll be ok.

12. CaucasionSensation

The guys confidence is grwoing rapidly, but future starter, that's really going out on a limb.

13. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I know its going out on a limb. But I do feel the potential is there, although he likely won't reach it.

14. CaucasionSensation

There is no doubt in my mind he has potential, and is just now showing it. He's been very stable as a backup in there the last few games. If he can just pull up his defense, it would be a full circle year for him. In the preseason and last year it was turnovers, little shooting, and poor defense. Lately it's been extremely few turnovers, consistent shooting, and still poor defense. I think he'll get that working too in time. But not any time soon. I'm shocked at how well he and Cat are playing all of a sudden. It's really a bright spot for the future of this ball club.

15. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rocketball,Drew is a two and does not possess the ballhandling skills to control tempo.Yes,I have seen improvement in the consisistency of his shot.He also can get off runners once in awhile ala Horny.BUT:his defense is horrible and he seems at times to be completely lost while dribbling around the time line.We don't get into our offensive sets in time and this(and the defense)is why we need a backup point.As far as bashing Drew,Rocketbooster put it best when he said he wants Francis in for 40 min. agame and in crunch time all the time.Listen,he can play the 2 ala Steve Kerr and excell,but that's it.FINAL(at most)We need a veteran point bad.As far as you labeling me a Drew basher at the front of this post,making this personal,and your presumption that I was lying about receiving an e-mail from someone who I thought was you,bring it on.Let's go. HH
    or do we drop it? olive branch? Happy daze....

[This message has been edited by Hardwood Hammer (edited December 02, 1999).]

16. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Here's what I thing about Drew:

1.) He's a streaky shooter.
    2.) He's not a good ball handler. I've seen some slight improvement in this area, but he's still terrible.
    3.) He's not a good defender.
    4.) He's not a good passer. But, I saw some improvement in this area against Phoenix. It used to be that every single one of his passes were lobs, but against the Suns only about 85% of them were.
    5.) He's not a smart player. Okay, so he's a rookie. But, I don't see him becoming a much of a smart player.
    6.) He's not very athletic. I don't know how high he can jump, how fast he can run, or how quick he is. But, he looks very uncoordinated on the court.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.

17. Finalfantasy

Finalfantasy Member

Drew is and will be a bench player forever, he would start unless the NBA turned into NCAA.

18. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Basically what DREAMer is saying is that Bryce Drew sucks. And thats right.

19. Lainey

Lainey Member

I have a question for everyone? What type of ballhandling skills does one have to demonstrate to be deemed a PG?

I haven't seen him bounce it off of his feet or dribble it out of bounds...

He's averaging less than 1.5 turnovers a game, and I think someone calculated in 3-4 per 48 minutes.....for a point guard that's pretty good, I would think.

I admit, he may not look the most comfortable all the time, but what does that matter, as long as he doesn't turn it over?

I'm just curious...

20. Francis3

Francis3 Member

He cant do anything else. He has no defense. HE IS TOOOOO YOUNG!!! Come on man, We need a veteran not an 11 year old kid.

He shoots well sometimes, but most of the time its off and when its off.. IT IS REALLY OFF.

I dont like him at all.