1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bryce Drew instead of Rashard Lewis... The MISTAKE

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Axeman, Apr 7, 2000.

1. Axeman

Axeman Member

Yeah, yeah... I know hindsight is 20/20, BUT...

Remember when the Rockets drafted Bryce Drew and Mirsad Turckan instead of Rashard Lewis?? I know that at the time they were thinking championship with the low-post/three point game and all that, but BOY how they must be regretting it now. With Lewis at small forward (6' 10") on this young team, the Rockets would be pretty tough going into next season. Talk about ultra-quick and athletic.

I just wish they'd drafted him instead of Drew. Poor Bryce has turned out to be a flop, and Lewis would sure be a big help to the Rockets' rebuilding plans. But, oh well... Just goes to show you timing is everything. I'm sure they would kill to have him now.

Shoot, Turckan's barely in the NBA anymore... That was a wasted pick.

------------------

2. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Turckan is on the Knicks roster, that is the problem. They have too many players in front of him. He gets no PT. If he were somewhere else, he would possibly get off the pine.

I don't think we made a mistake with Drew. He has played well for us. But retooling the offense and the acquisition of Francis has made the transition hard for Drew.

I also am not convinced with Rashard's talents. He is more athletic than Drew naturally, but he doesn't see many minutes for Seattle. Seattle is far from a powerhouse and far from being a deep team at Rashard's position, so I ma not sure why Westphal is not playing him much. Could be attitude? Maybe his age and inexperience? Not sure, maybe he is just not that good.

------------------
    HOOP-T

Hey Shaq, Acme called, and they want their bricks back!

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Turckan (sp?) is on the Bucks last I checked. I do know he was waived by the Knicks.

But what is the point of this thread. No crap Lewis would have been a better pick. We should have picked a lot of other players as well.

This has been rehashed over and over. It's done with.

------------------
    Is it any coincidence that we are the only NBA (sorry for any confusion regarding my earlier signature, I do realize that the Braves and Stars are both mentioned in the national anthem) team mentioned in the national anthem?

I didn't think so!

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Before you start an avalanche of Turskan sux, let me add a little CD rationalization to this:

We had 3 1st round picks. Turskan agreed before we picked him to go to Europe for a year. There was no real ability for us to fit 3 1st rounders into Hakeem/Pippen/Barkley/Othella team without cutting someone, especially considering Mobley was made the team as well, and we desparately needed big, fat men off the bench for Hack-a-Shaq in the playoffs.

Turskan's willingness to practice in Europe I'm sure was a major consideration in salary room and roster room.

Fact is: Lewis was a questionable 1st rounder. Besides, your argument would have a less hometown feel to it if you would have titled the thread:

"Bryce Drew instead of Al Harrington...THE MISTAKE"

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited April 07, 2000).]

5. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Thanks for jogging the ol memory Rocketman95, you are right, he was waived by the Knicks and picked up by Milwaukee....and still getting few minutes.

------------------
    HOOP-T

Hey Shaq, Acme called, and they want their bricks back!

6. Axeman

Axeman Member

I don't know if any of you have bothered to check... Some are saying Rashard's not getting any PT... Read this, from today's Chronicle:
    <a href="http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/bk/bkn/515134">http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/bk/bkn/515134</a>

Lewis soaring

Former Elsik High School standout Rashard Lewis, now with the Seattle SuperSonics, has been playing extremely well of late, averaging 16 points and seven rebounds over his last four games.

"He's one of the strengths of the team right now," Seattle coach Paul Westphal said. "That's how far he's come."

One of the keys, pointed out Lewis, 20, was his workload.

He has played 20 or more minutes in 13 consecutive games, including five games of 30 or more minutes in that span.

"The more minutes (Westphal) gives me, the more confidence I get in myself," said Lewis, a 6-10 forward who is averaging 7.6 points and 3.9 rebounds in 18.1 minutes per game. "Each time on the floor, I improve on something.

"So the more experience I get, the more confidence. It's a good feeling. It means that coach has confidence in me -- that I can help the team win ballgames."

Lewis proved as much to himself with his strong game against Dallas on Feb. 9, Dennis Rodman's debut with the Mavericks.

Everyone came to see Rodman, but they left talking about Lewis after a 30-point, 12-rebound game, a 117-106 Sonics win.

"I was kind of up and down until the Dallas game, and once I had a breakout game, I felt more comfortable in myself," Lewis said. "Just knowing that I could do those things I did against Dallas ... "

Lewis has played so much recently that he didn't notice setting a career high in minutes (38) against Portland last Sunday, finishing with 18 points and seven rebounds in a 95-82 loss.

------------------

7. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

on Axeman's behalf:

oohhhh burn, court adjourned

------------------

8. heypartner

Hey,

Speaking of stats in today's paper, did you see that Feigan has Moochie at 2.9 steals per game. That can't possibly be correct?!

9. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Shoulda. Woulda. Coulda.

------------------
    The lottery sucks!

10. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Well, I think you also half to consider that it wasn't necesarilly just chat room gossip that the Rocket were going to pick up Lewis. I mean, they had made strong implications that he was their guy. They even kept the camera on him during all the Rockets picks cause they just assumed they knew what was coming. And so did he. You saw his reaction. He was humiliated and crushed. I would be. It's kind of sad because the Rockets completely burned their bridges with the kid.
    But even so, it would have been very nice to have a forward of his age and possible upside on the team right now. That would be one less void to fill, and he'd have a couple years experience under Hakeem and Chuck's wing. Now would be his chance to break out.

But hey, Pimp said it. Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda. Sometimes you blow a shot at Jordan, Hakeem, and Drexler. And sometimes you win a championship with a crazy trade on Valentines Day.

It only makes sense when it's all over. [​IMG]

------------------
    "There are three kinds of lies:
    Lies, Damned Lies, and STATISTICS..."
    - Mark Twain -

11. heypartner

Outlaw, regarding Pippen,

I meant to say come pre-season, the 4 picks were going to have trouble making the team with or without Pippen, so you want someone you know will not sign with you right away like a European. (You retain draft rights on players if they don't sign. However, if they sign and get cut, you lose them.) Plus, who's to say the Rockets didn't have an under-the-table agreement with the Bulls before the lock-out.

Regarding Turcksan, I guess I do remember differently than you. I just seem to remember something about CD wanting him to continue playing in Europe for a year or so more...I guess I'm wrong.

But not wrong about Al Harrington (also taken after Drew) is better than Rashard Lewis...where's my tomato...I need to get Axeman's attention here.

12. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

I'd agree with you Freak if I were not to look at our roster that year. However we had Brent Price and Matt Maloney, and I THINK we still had email at the time too. I'm not even going to act like I know more than NBA scouts BUT there are certain players that I know will not be that sucessful and also the opposite of that. When Rashard was coming out I knew he was a project, KG strugled horribly his first year and wasn't too much better his second year, McGrady was riding the pine till last year, O'neal still hasn't been getting any PT(he deserves it, just not on that team), Kemp didn't really do anything his first two years either, Kobe was the only one who showed his promise right away(although he was nothing more than a jacker at the time). So I expected this, on the flip side of the coin I was pissed when we drafted Homers son and Mirsad, I was a little bit pleased when we got a first rounder for as Clutch put it a long time ago, the evil twin of Doogie Houser. To this day I still am confused as why we drafted Drew!? Maloney ran the point a 100X better than Drew and was a better shooter(i hated Baloney too so this is painful for me to say.) Oh well at least we made up for it with Cat in the second.

------------------
    "We need to fockass".....Dream back in the day

13. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No matter what you guys think the Rockets should of done in the draft, doesn't amount to a hill of beans. It is really easy to look back at things and see how you would do them differently.... you can't fault the Rockets for what they thought was the smarter pick...And, honestly we will have to wait a few more years before actually determining which is the better pick, cannot do it after just two years.

Most importantly, the Rockets more than made up for any mistakes you may believe they made in the draft... by stealing a great player at the 44th pick of the second round:

Cuttino Mobley....

That alone show the Rockets know what they are doing...

14. heypartner

So, does Rocketball represent a new Police squad:

"Dream Police"
    "Serious Police"
    "Spelling Police"

and now the:
    "Hindsight Police"

15. heypartner

OH,,, forgot to repeat myself,

"Bryce Drew instead of Al Harrington...The MISTAKE"

forget Lewis.

16. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Feigen must have meant 2.9 assists..... Moochie is about .75 steals per game right now, but a shade under 2.9 assists

<a href="http://www.clutchcity.net/playerinfo_current.cfm?PlayerID=200">clutchcity.net: Moochie Norris profile</a>

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

17. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

I am with Axeman on this one. Sure hindsight is 20/20. But I still believe the Rockets made a bad decision passing up Rashard.

It can also be said that the Rockets made a great decision by getting the steal of the draft in Mobley.

However, selecting Turkan over Rashard Lewis was highly questionable. I guess the jury is still out as we have not received our draft compensation in the Turkan trade.

------------------
    "There is Francis backpedaling at full speed to guard Seattle All-Star Gary Payton on a fast break and then leaping as if off a springboard to make a spectacular fingertip block on what appeared to be a sure layup."

18. UT Baller

UT Baller Member

Maybe we can rectify the situation by signing him in the offseason?

------------------

19. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Blaming the Rockets for not taking a player that NOBODY selected in the first round, and who's done nothing as of yet to show that he should've been a first-rounder. That is just stupid. Why don't we go back and look at all the 2nd-round picks that no other teams took in the first round, and wonder how the Rockets could've been so dumb as to pass on all those guys? Oops, I'm sure there's already been a thread about that.

------------------

20. outlaw

outlaw Member

Heypatner your memory is hazy.

Turkcan did not agree to go to Europe for his rookie year as you claim. He only did so because he got impatient with the lockout and didn't think it would be resolved. And we didn't even have Pippen yet when we drafted him.

We drafted Dickerson/Drew/Turkcan/Mobley in June 1998 and we traded for Pip in January 1999.

[This message has been edited by outlaw (edited April 07, 2000).]