1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brunson leaving?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JoeBarelyCares, Mar 14, 2006.

1. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

To coach Temple?:

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/14091790.htm

Chaney, naturally, has his thoughts on the subject. He already has talked to Bradshaw, and submitted a few suggestions. That list probably includes current top assistant Dan Leibovitz, who could have left after last season to take a job on the George Washington staff, and former Owl Rick Brunson, who is still playing in the NBA. It might even include former top assistant Dean Demopoulos, who left in 2000 and now works for the Portland Trail Blazers.

2. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

Who's Brunson again?

3. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

4. napalm

napalm Contributing Member

You know..him; that guy..the over the hill, undersized ex Knick. Wait, or is that Ward? Or Mark Jackson? Or Rod Strickland? : P ..

5. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

A good question is why joe cares.

6. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

Well, he barely cared...

7. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

I still barely care, but for those of you interested, here is an update:

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/14101844.htm','351'

Ex-Owl Brunson puts hat in the ring to take Chaney's place
    By PHIL JASNER
    jasnerp@phillynews.com

Rick Brunson never wanted to say it publicly, not as long as John Chaney was still the Temple basketball basketball coach.

But in a rambling, emotional, signature news conference, Chaney retired Monday, and Brunson - in his ninth NBA season, - knew he could finally express himself.

He wants to coach. He wants to coach Temple. He has no idea about his chances. All he knows is what he wants to do.

"No question, it's not a secret," said Brunson, who completed four seasons as the Owls' point guard in 1994-95. "With all due respect to coach Chaney, I never wanted to say anything while he was still there."

Earlier, in an e-mail response, Brunson wrote of Chaney's retirement: "It's a sad day for college basketball. I'm happy for him that he went out on his own. He's been a father to me my whole career. He had a smaller impact on my career [as a player] than he did in helping make me a man, and I think that speaks volumes about the man he is. I'll cherish my time I had with him forever."

In a telephone conversation from Houston, where he plays for the Rockets, Brunson, 33, said: "I don't believe in campaigning for a job. I want to coach there, that's all. The right people know. If they feel I'm the right person, they'll call. In my career, I've been told 'No' enough times that I think I can handle that, too."

Brunson began a long and winding pro career in Australia in 1995-96, after being the final guard cut by the 76ers. Before Houston, he played for Portland, New York, Boston, Chicago, Toronto, the Los Angeles Clippers and Seattle.

"My career has never been normal," he said. "I've had eight non-guaranteed contracts and one guaranteed, this year with Seattle.

"I know people say, 'He's never coached, he's never recruited.' They're all right. But I have always wanted to be a coach. People don't know this about me: I go to clinics, I study. In my 9 years in the league, I sat there, studied, learned. I always talked to the coaches about basketball, about philosophies. I can relate to kids. What I'm not good at, I can have a good staff around me.

"But this is a first experience for me. Before I do anything, I'll talk to [Chaney]. Some people want to be writers or be in TV, and they study for it, prepare for it. I want to be a coach. I've always studied."

A high school player in Salem, Mass., Brunson met Chaney for the first time in 1991.

"He came to my house to recruit me," Brunson recalled. "I remember how I felt. I look at him, knew I was staring; he was a celebrity to me. I remember the way he talked, the way he communicated. It was amazing. People don't believe this, but even when I talk to him now, I learn something every time. He makes me think.

"It will be strange, him not being there. I admire him, the same way I did the first day I stepped onto the campus. I'm glad he was able to leave on his own terms. He made me such a man, I can't explain it in words."

8. Lance Berkman

Lance Berkman Member

He doesnt suck. He's made more 3's in the games he's played than Rafer all season. *

*This is a joke. I'm just pointing out that he was actually hitting open shots.

9. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

He was great in Mr. Majestyk, when he played a melon farmer and ace Vietnam Vet who ran afoul of a local punk and a mafia hit man.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I wish him GOOD LUCK with this.

11. eman

eman Contributing Member

He's done well here, taken care of the ball and hit open shots. Big upgrade over Mooch.

12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i don't understand why some of you make such a big deal about him being an ex-knick. who cares? he's been better than we expected when we signed him and a HUGE improvement over moochie.

13. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I like the guy. As a matter of fact, I like the guy a lot. He's shown more heart and more guts in 10 days than some people on this team have showed the entire season. He has the look of a coach to me. I think he could do it.

14. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

For real, why the hate? He's played solidly for us. I say keep him around. But if he wants to move on, good luck to him. This season is the time for Luther to learn as much as he can.

15. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Good luck to the guy if he gets the job. If its offered, I am sure he takes it and we need to find another backup point guard. Maybe JL3??

16. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

HEY BRUNSON, I'LL KILL YA!!