1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bruno Mars is not black enough apparently.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VanityHalfBlack, Mar 10, 2018.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Is there any other culture that hates on their own more than African Americans?

Maybe it's just what gets reported on I guess. "Cultural appropriation" is just a fancy way of throwing shade.

2. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

He’s talented at R&B and funk music. Why wouldn’t he profit from his talent?

From the consumer standpoint, why wouldnt they like his music if it’s good? If the argument is that “he’s not black and therefore, he will be more accepted,” there are many black R&B (new jack swing included) and funk artists that are icons and standards of each of those genres. In fact, the pioneers of those genres are black.

The reason Bruno Mars is a huge star today is because of his talent and early marketing strategy. Before his move towards R&B/funk music, he made bubble gum pop songs that 104 krbe would play. Then he made bubble gum R&B songs that 97.9 the boxx would play. Each of those songs were hits. He became a crossover star. He also featured on other artists’ music. Not to mention that he’s been writing hits for other stars on top of that. His songwriting was also clever as he wrote for stars from Cee-Lo to Adele.

He appealed to the HUGE market of teenie bopper pop music all while perfecting his true passion in R&B and funk. He’s good at both. He’s talented. The only thing you could knock him for is he integrates too much of his influencers in his own music. To the point that it sounds like a remix or cover of something you’ve heard before.

TLDR; Bruno Mars is talented at making music in more than one demographic. Generally speaking, “white” people love him for songs like “Just the Way You Are,” and “black” people love him for songs like “Finesse.” He’s got hits in both demos. And he writes and sings hooks for other musicians for even more exposure. His image has gone from hipster to hip hop nostalgia. He’s been catering to multiple demos from the start. That’s why he’s a megastar. That and he’s Filipino.

#62 clutch citizen, Mar 12, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    VanityHalfBlack and No Worries like this.
  3. amaru

amaru Member

What do you mean by “their own”?

4. REEKO_HTOWN

Other African Americans. You read a lot about more about how AAs judge and treat each other based on things like skin tone. This roundtable is is an example of that. I just don't know if it's as bad as social media makes it or if it's isolated.

5. amaru

amaru Member

Considering that Bruno Mars isn’t AA at all, I don’t see how this round table discussion as an example of that.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

He’s not!?!

I guess i might agree with them then. At least Justin Timberlake isn’t as blatant.

7. Buck Turgidson

Are these people black enough?>:

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  8. TheresTheDagger

9. Buck Turgidson

What does "cultural appropriation" actually mean?

Can white people make tortillas? Is it wrong if I make tacos out of them? Am I allowed to fry chicken and cook mashed potatoes/gravy okra and greens?

Because I love all of these things, I'd sure like to keep doing them.

Deji McGever and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  10. VanityHalfBlack

It's mostly just Americans I think. b**** and complain about every damn thing. Sensitive b****es.

11. VanityHalfBlack

Hahahahah! OWNED!!!

12. OTMax

OTMax Member

The hate by that woman on the radio about cultural appropriation is misplaced. That’s on the industry more so than anything. The fact she whines about Black Lives Matter and how Bruno or whoever didn’t mention it is just showing her agenda.

13. VanityHalfBlack

Then she talking about, 'Oh Bruno is just a wedding singer/Karaoke cover band.Nothing unique about him.' I'm like b****, where Can I find the Bruno Mars of the Karaoke/wedding world at? The place would be lit. As the kids would say.

Harrisment likes this.
  14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

not sure if seriously asking,,,but, eating tacos is acculturation.

Appropriation is supposed to have an element of disrespect to cultural traditions of another, or an otherwise offensive feel to it. Posers are arguably appropriating, whereas us learning to love the traditions/teachings of another by eating their food with great joy isn't.

A popular example* of cultural appropriation is this.

[​IMG]

* footnote: anyone ready to click that Post Reply button to argue with me about the Seminoles/Redskins/etc, save you're breath. Cultural Anthropology was one of my majors (way back when), so I just have interest here in explanation the classic definitions of these words, and providing classic examples. I have more interest is what everyone is saying in that video and this thread, than interjecting my take.​

Acculturation and Cultural Appropriation have two separate meanings for a reason. I think the discussion is more interesting when we don't describe every cultural exchange as appropriation, by comparing it to acculturation....as well as assimilation.

peace biscuit

15. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

what a racist thread

16. Buck Turgidson

That should not be a signature, but a preface to most of my posts.

I like what you said, especially the end part about biscuits.

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

:)

btw: rather than your tacos and fried chicken example, Pace Picante Sauce's "New York City .... Get a Rope" campaign is a fun example of mainstream play on don't mess with Texas' traditions and heritage; ie, Cultural Appropriation.

Further fun food examples: Can we call putting beans and tomatoes in chili an example of disrespectful Cultural Appropriation or is it the more respectful Acculturation? Those (like me) who believe finishing a smoked brisket in the oven, wrapped in foil is sacrilegious have a valid cultural appropriation claim of disrespecting the Brisket Gods.

18. Buck Turgidson

Cook your borracho beans separately from your chili. Mix in your bowl all you want (cornbread? fritos? tortillas? corn chips? whatever?) You can cook your brisket however, you know it'll be good because you know how to cook a brisket.

Pace picante sauce is just yankees having no taste or any goddam sense, kind of like "brooklyn bbq"

"It's kitchy-cool because it comes from where the poor people live!"

Stick to what you're good at, and send me some bagels and lox. And pastrami. And....

#78 Buck Turgidson, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  19. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I think the legitimate beef that is brought up in these videos are all the black artists they are referencing who are actually better than Bruno Mars, but not as famous. This has always been a problem in the music industry, but particularly galling for black artists who historically don't get the equitable notoriety they deserve.

I think that part at least is a legitimate issue.

DreamShook likes this.
  20. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member