1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BRUNO CABOCLO IS SHOOTING OVER 40% FROM 3.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by T. Will tha Don, Dec 31, 2018.

1. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

These start mean literally nothing. Hartenstein is averaging 17p/12r/4a on 60% shooting and is clearly not ready for prime time. James white once averaged 25ppg on amazing percentages from deep and couldn't hit the broadside of a barn when called up .

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not about the stats, it's about the role fit.

Bruno's length, rim protection, 3 ball, switch D and ability to play 4-5 is huge Rockets need right now.

7-7 wingspans plus explosive athletic ability do not grow on trees.

3. topfive

topfive CF OG

That play-by-play guy can't pronounce Bruno's name to save his life.

Caboc-loo?

saleem likes this.
  4. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Yes there are statistics. The G-league does have a webpage just like the NBA. https://riograndevalley.gleague.nba.com/

D-rock likes this.
  5. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Explosive athleticism???????
    He made Joe Cheese look quick.

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Lateral agility and explosiveness not the same. His ups are much better than Zhou Qi's.

Caboclo is a physical freak with deceptive speed because he runs like he's gliding.

BigggReddd and ApacheWarrior like this.
  7. Juxtaposed Jolt

I wouldn't mind calling him up for games against teams like the Cavs / Suns, just to see him play against NBA competition.

fattz, carib, BigggReddd and 2 others like this.
  8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yeah, that is very noticeable. :) It's a little better than the Eli-YaHU guy.:)

9. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Hartenstein has a 94.0 DEF rating, I'd expect Bruno to be as effective as him on an NBA court.

It does look like his best season in the D-league tho

Explosiveness (change of direction) and lateral quickness (which requires frequent change of direction) are one in the same in terms of NBA skills. He lacks both.

#69 Swiss Roll, Jan 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Explosiveness also refers to vertical lift, you know that was what I was referencing when I used "ups" as differentiator.

In either event, Caboclo vs. Qi is waste of time because Qi is not on Vipers. Compare Caboclo vs. Hartenstein - Bruno is clearly better fit at 4 and small ball 5.

Bruno averages twice as many steals and is better shot blocker. Not to mention is more aggressive and more productive floor spacer with his 3 pt shooting.

And if you do not consider Bruno a physical freak with his measurements and athleticism then you and I are free to discontinue our discourse on subject.

11. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

I realize I'm sounding very rude and condescending so I'll say some good things about Bruno and the season he's having.

1. This is BY FAR the best season he's had in the D-league, even if he never turns into an NBA player, John Lucas and the rest of the training staff deserve praise.
    2. The 3 pointer might be real, outside of 2 games with Reno (Sacramento's d-league team), he never shot above 35% from 3 on a steady diet of 4-7 attempts per game.
    3. Its also his best rebounding and blocking season he's ever had, he basically has Joe Cheese's build and now he's putting up similar block and rebound numbers, the blocks are good, the rebounds aren't, but its way better than in Toronto.
    4. Its his best 2 point shooting season as well, so thats good.
    5. He might be playing for his life (haven't watched any games), he's hauling down 2.6 OREB per game compared to 1.3 for the rest of his career, it might be scheme but it might be pure effort, he knows he's probably done in the NBA if he fails here.
    6. I'm not opposed to calling him up and seeing if its real, I just doubt it is, he lacks the strength to play the 5 and not athletic enough to step out on the perimeter IMO.

DanO 337, fattz and D-rock like this.
  12. MrButtocks

If that were the case, he'd be here over Clark or House. Cabloclo didn't look good in presseason. His bball IQ was lacking. He doesn't have good off-ball movement and couldn't create a shot to save his life. He's a worse defender than Clark and a complete stiff on offense compared to House.

You're enamored with his physical tools. Having game sense is far more important. If you're looking just at physical tools Marquesse Chriss has everything you listed, but he's riding pine because he can't actually play real basketball. Cabloclo is averaging 1.2 assists to 1.7 turnovers in the G league. How you average so few assists in the G league is beyond me. He's probably two years away.

Swiss Roll likes this.
  13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I was told House was a scrub as well. Yet here we are with him starting.

fattz and D-rock like this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets let go of House and so did GSW. Timing and need are huge factors why players are overlooked.

Bruno has improved from preseason, hes definitely playing better than hes ever done before in G League. His effort has been much improved. And his attitude is so much better than Chriss, physical attributes aside.

A 10 day contract hurts no one.

fattz and ApacheWarrior like this.
  15. MrButtocks

I haven't watched Bruno in the G league so I admit ignorance on my part, but is he playing better because his stats were terrible before? He's got an average G league stat line now, while the lack of assists are glaring. I saw him play as a Raptor and in preseason and he's never once looked like a good defender so it's weird to hear him being hyped up for it now.

A 10 day contract isn't risk free at all. We're still fighting for the playoffs and seeding. Who are we going to take out of the rotation to see what he's got? Why not just leave him in the G league, where we still have staff involved with his development?

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm not convinced that he is ready, but clearly there is a change in attitude. He is working harder and is gaining confidence in his jumper, which looks smooth. His shotblocking isn't looking weak anymore, although he needs to get stronger so he can better at it, plus to cope on defense and on the boards. I think his lack of assets might be because he isn't handling the ball. He has shown good court vision. His pass to a cutting Hartenstein in the last game was impressive.

I'm not against giving him a 10 day contract at the expense of Melo, but I would prefer to see him continuing with the Vipers.

Some of our posters are concerned that another team may reap benefits by acquiring him. I'm not sure about that, but I could be wrong, since a professional attitude and hard work can lead to future progress.

fattz and D-rock like this.
  17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not so sold on the Chriss physical tools.

Zero wingspan and those little girl hands of his are glaring weaknesses, especially when he is trying to make catches in the pick and roll.

Swiss Roll and D-rock like this.
  18. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

It would be interesting to see Morey comment on predictive factors they have noticed for when a D-League player suddenly ‘gets it’, has that switch flip and is ready to contribute positively at the NBA level. We’ve seen waiver wire pickups work out (Pat Bev, Jeremy Lin, and now House) but far more often we’ve cycled guys in for garbage time who clearly aren’t good enough right now. RJ Hunter, Briante Weber, and Demetrius Jackson come to mind from recent memory.

For guards it’s likely different than big men. A lot of times NBA quality guards aren’t born; it takes a lot of battle experience at the highest level for someone to become a capable rotation player. Austin Rivers is a perfect example of a guy who was on the fringe throughout his rookie contract, maintained traction in the league because his dad was GM/coach and make damn well sure he would get PT no matter what. Now? He’s one of the best 50 guards in the league and should stick around until his athleticism goes away.

Big men seem like they either have a baseline set of traits you can develop, or they don’t. Capela his first year was missing everything around the rim that wasn’t a dunk. He shot 15% from the FT line lol. But you could tell he had those Mexican jumping beans in his shoes. Obviously he had the most rope possible given to him to sort things out. A guy like Harrell was another one who needed proving time in the minors but was obviously worthy in his limited time up as a rookie. Hartenstein I’ve seen enough from where I believe he will be useful by next year. Where do you draw that line though, where you determine that somebody just ain’t gonna make it? Chriss is a good example of someone with just zero basketball IQ, where the mental road might be too steep or at least the odds so long that he’d have to go the Whiteside route to get another hard look in the NBA. With Bruno it’s a similar concern, but not as bad.

19. varughese.arun

We must strike while the Iron is hot. I understand that he has flaws (especially perimeter-D, rebounding, and play-making). These are deficiencies which may not be highlighted with the Rockets style of play.

Given that this is the best he has performed, we must reward that with a short stent in the Big-league. GIVE HIM A 10 DAY CONTRACT BEFORR THE ALL-STAR BREAK, and send him back to the G-league. Regardless, we MUST give him some PT in the NBA to see how he does, and as a motivational gesture for him to ID and work of deficiencies.

D-rock likes this.
  20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

His draft day measurable are impressive.
    https://www.nbadraft.net/players/bruno-caboclo
    I don’t need him to be high in leadership category, but does well elsewhere.

I can’t find his hand size but wingspan is his strongest attribute. 7 foot 7 inches.

9’ 3” standing reach
    34” standing leap
    When you add both 34” standing leap with 9’3” standing reach....throw in 40% from 3 and you got potential gold.

Player..........................wingspan
    Gobert...............................7’9”
    Lucas Nogueira................7’6”
    Anunoby...........................7’6”
    Valanciunas......................7’6”
    Capela..............................7’5”
    Pascal Siakam..................7’3”

Caboclo..............................7’7”

D-rock likes this.