1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Brown, Torres, Mickeal leading candidates for Rockets' final roster spot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Oct 5, 2002.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/bk/bkn/1604597

Tierre Brown lobbed a perfect pass during shooting drills.

"Good job, Tierre," Boylen shouted, before turning his attention to the next player in line.

A year ago, Brown would have smiled at the compliment. This year, he's breathing a sigh of relief.

"That's what the coaches want to see -- what guy fits the offense well, what guy's playing defense," Brown said. "That's the kind of guy that's going to get a job."

And that's what Brown and a handful of others are trying to do at a packed Rockets training camp. Once the Rockets sign Yao Ming, they will have 12 players with fully guaranteed contracts, and second-round draft pick Tito Maddox with a partially guaranteed deal.

If Maddox, 6-4, locks down a spot -- and all indications are he will -- that leaves incumbents Brown and Oscar Torres and newcomer Pete Mickeal likely battling for a spot (assuming at least two players have to start the season on the injured list).

Brown, 6-2, was the biggest surprise during camp last year when no one expected him to make the team. Coaches told him he was there as a spare body, moved him from shooting guard to point guard, and matched him up against the likes of Steve Francis.

Brown responded by beating out Damon Jones for a roster spot, but repeating the feat might prove difficult -- even for last year's training camp poster boy.

"Expectations are higher -- and not just my personal goals, but my family and friends, spectators," Brown said. "There's more pressure on me this year than last year. This year, I've got a lot to lose. I have to prove the critics wrong, prove that I can play in the NBA."

The Rockets know what Brown and Torres are capable of doing. Both earned playing time last season because of the team's slew of injuries.

Brown set career highs in points (16) and assists (seven) against Portland on April 17 and finished the year averaging 3.1 points and 1.8 assists per game.

Torres, 6-6, started 13 games at shooting guard and small forward and averaged six points per game, highest among non-drafted rookies in the NBA.

But Rockets coaches also been impressed by Mickeal, who spent the 2000-01 season with the New York Knicks on injured reserve and was the leading scorer in the Philippine Basketball Association in 2002 (27.6 per game).

The Rockets have been working the 6-5 Mickeal at shooting guard and small forward in camp. And he is perhaps the best defender of those contending for a spot.

"Pete Mickeal is a workhorse," Rockets coach Rudy Tomjanovich said. "He's giving you more than an honest day's of work. He eats up the floor on the break and is just a tough, tough kid."

"We got a lot of scorers, we need defense and rebounding," said Mickeal, who also averaged 11.9 rebounds per game in the Philippines. "I can guard a guard or a forward, and rebound ... that's toughness. That's what we need."

Overseas veteran Juaquin Hawkins (6-7) also offers the Rockets flexibility in the backcourt. But the decision whether to keep an extra backcourt or frontcourt player might well depend on the development of Maddox. He played both guard positions for the Rockets' summer league team, but has mainly been running the team's offense in camp. His versatility could lessen the need for a spare point guard.

"It really comes down to who plays the best," Boylen said. "We put a lot of value on decisions that are made. The success of the team they're running, making shots ... does he have a special skill.

"We have depth there, we have competition there. It's a good environment for guys to learn, but I don't know if it's going to be good when we have to cut down."

Which is why the preseason games will be crucial for Brown, Torres and Mickeal.

Players hoping to land a roster spot with the Rockets:

• Tito Maddox: Part of second-round pick's contract is guaranteed. Can play either guard spot and has come on strong lately at point guard.

• Pete Mickeal: Strong on the break. Can defend at small forward or shooting guard. Shooting range questionable.

• Tierre Brown: The long-shot winner from last season's training camp. Has played well at camp but only fits at the point.

• Oscar Torres: Another camp success last season. Did not progress during rookie year. Best shooting range of the off-guard candidates.

• Juaquin Hawkins: Can defend point guards, shooting guards or small forwards. Surprisingly smooth shooting stroke. Not as physical as Mickeal.

2. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Good job Crash. You won this go around:eek:

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

It looks like Tierre is most likely the odd man out since Tito looks like he'll make the team at this point. I can't wait for the preseason to see who plays better between Torres and Mickeal. How come Morris and Collier aren't competing for the last roster spot :eek:

4. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

I think you already know the answer but are being facetious.

But in case you're not, the answer is that Tmo and Collier already have contracts for 2002-2003 and will hit the cap even if waived. That combined with the fact that the Rocks are just under the LT level (by about $2.0m) and those without guaranteed contracts can be brought back later if a need arises. At least, that's how I see it. :)

5. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Crash:- Great Post!!

6. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

I don't know about carrying Collier and Brown on the IR....does Colier have any value to anyone?

7. Jaybird

Jaybird Member

It also doesn't hurt to be Steve's boy too in the case of Morris :)

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Les is an astute investor. I hope that in the case of Collier he will be able to exercise discipline and cut his losses. There is no reason to keep paying for this guy's hotel/meal/travel expenses on road trips and various assorted and frequent medical bills on the far-fetched hope that he will ever amount to anything remotely resembling an NBA player. Let Maloney be the example and just waive him.

9. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I think its nuts to even think about waiving Collier until you see how he is going to fit in with this new offense. What if Cato fits as a complete right angle to this offense and we get a decent offer for him from someone like Miami.

If Collier can pass the ball and hit some open shots then maybe he could actually be useful giving Yao Ming a breather. But we will never know until we see how he fits in.

10. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I'm surprised they don't even mention Goodrich. I guess with Yao, Cato and Collier, a fourth center doesn't make much sense.

What does Rocks management see in Maddox? I'm not saying he can't play; I'm just wondering what they see him contributing that makes him clearly superior to these other guys.

11. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Rudy loves players who can play more than one position. Maddox, at 6-4, can both run the point and defend 2-guards. In other words, the Rockets can pair Maddox with Francis in the backcourt a la Snow-Iverson, allowing Francis to play the 2 while not having to guard a taller player. The fact that Maddox's deal is partially-guaranteed might also be a major factor affecting the decision to keep him.

12. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Question,

Who is the guy in this picture; the one between Moochie and Oscar...???
    Is that Hawkins or Mickeal?

[​IMG]

#12 DavidS, Oct 5, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2002
  13. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I have a gut feeling Mickeal makes the team, we need defense and he provides it.

14. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Jacquin sounds awesome from your description crash. I really don't see any need for tierre anymore. If we sign tierre I think we should ship him or mooche out in a package for something we might really need to use

15. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Letting go Drew and Maloney proves they will keep who they think will help over salaries. It's going to be Mickeal, Torres and/or Tito. Brown will land with another team. Goodbye Collier, Goodrich, and TMo.

16. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Mickeal is the right on the right. I hope he makes the team, he is an oustanding defender and rebounder and has developed his scoring. Along with Oscar it gives the Rocks a TON of flexibility.

17. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I agree that we shouldn't waive Collier just yet(even though I don't think much will change with him), but if someone else makes a significant impact in the preseason it should be looked at very closely. Cato should fit this offense better than in recent years, so I doubt he'll be going anywhere.

18. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Cut the losses and let Collier go. Give those limited minutes to EG and MT. I say keep a guy like Mickeal instead, he'll be far more valuable to the team in the motion offense and on defense. Let Collier land somewhere like when we cut Damon Jones loose last year, or like Langhi ended up in Phoenix. Collier has been "injured", but he is a very disappointing #15 pick. :mad:

I can't see Collier, Brown or any of the others breaking this list.

Starters (at first, and after suspension - Yao and MT in turn):

Francis
    Mobley
    MT
    Rice
    Cato

Subs:

Moochie
    Torres
    EG
    KT
    Yao Ming

Bench:

Boki (could be right there with Torres/KT)
    Maddox

IR:

Mickeal
    TMo

History:

Brown, Collier

maybe because they are paying Collier they will put him on reserve but I certainly hope not. That would leave a really good player for motion (Mickeal) lost to another team...

#18 ricerocket, Oct 5, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2002
  19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If Goodrich plays well in camp and in preseason, Collier will be expendable. We know that Goodrich fits well with the motion offense and will come in cheap. Collier can stay only if he outplays Goodrich in the preseason.

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Feigen is only saying that there are 12 guaranteed contracts. He does not say that all those guys will make it. Clutch has reported that Terence is on the bubble. I agree with Easy: Collier better outplay Goodrich as far as I'm concerned. Goodrich is just too perfect to keep as a player coach in a motion offense, which is exactly what he did for several months as a New Jersey Net last year.

Hawkins could easily outplay Morris, and I love vets like that who fight for roster spots.