1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bring Back Gundy! <clap clap clap clap clap>

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DarkHorse, Apr 24, 2014.

1. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

We've all been throwing this idea around as it seems to make sense on paper.

Van Gundy obviously still has fond ties to Houston, and still lives in the area. Best commentator in the game, but I think he can be had. The Knicks were rumored a month or so ago to be making a run at him during the off-season. He's got to be thinking about it already, let's get in there first.

He loves coaching a big center, and we've got Dwight. Maybe working with the Van Gundy's again can help repair Dwight's image. Morey can bring us offense, JVG can actually coach them effectively.

It's one thing to fall flat at times during the regular season. Guys have off nights, it's a long season, you have injuries to deal with. But there's no excuse in the playoffs. The only guys right now with a legitimate injury beef are Howard and Beverley, and they're playing great basketball.

As an aside, the scarier thought is that it's the players themselves are the problem. Back when Steve Francis and Cuttino Mobley were running the show, everyone was crying for Rudy T's head, and JVG was brought in to right the ship and teach the young kids how to play mature basketball. Unfortunately, it never happened. Francis proved unwilling or unable to grasp the more mature approach to the game, and he was traded for McGrady. I'm afraid Harden might be in that same boat, but I'm willing to reserve judgement since McHale is all we've had running the helm the last couple of years.

But seriously, we need a real coach. This rah rah stuff isn't cutting it.

2. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

Him or George Karl would be nice

3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

The game has passed JVG by.

Stan is the guy we should target.

4. archinkent

archinkent Member

Didn't he say he doesn't want to coach anymore?

5. Summer Song Giver

I'd watch, I mean I'm not getting Comcast but, were that situation resolved, I'd watch.

6. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I'd love to have JVG back, but I don't think Les is interested.

What's Phil Jackson doing right now? (this is a rhetorical question)

7. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Bald Van Gundy - head coach
    Fat Van Gundy - assistant coach

8. Summer Song Giver

drools

9. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Can we hire him as a consultant ASAP!!!!????

We need him before game 3 STAT!!!!

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Once upon a time there was a chance JVG would continue-on with the Rockets as a consultant. Morey always wanted him back. It was Les Alexander who was pining for an uptempo offense and grew impatient of JVG's indecisiveness to return.

Les fired Van Gundy, not Morey. That's how I feel about it to this day. I also think (just a hunch) that he Les forced us to sign Lin. That's 2 strikes on Les in my eyes. Les is a great owner, hungry to win. But he just needs to let Morey do his thing.

http://www.chron.com/sports/rockets/article/Odd-process-leads-to-Van-Gundy-s-exit-1802257.php

I don't see the harm in calling JVG or any basketball mind, humbling yourself, and asking for help. It would look bad on us, McHale would like a joke of a coach, but there's no room here to protect egos or save face. Own up to the incompetence, ask for help. And we might have a chance.

Unfortunately it's simply unheard of in professional sports at this point in a season. I'm certain it couldn't hurt.

1 person likes this.
  11. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Hell no... Never... he destroyed Yao... He made Yao play like DMo on defense and killed his feet. He gets credit for being a great defensive coach but he is simply the product of Patrick Ewing and Yao Ming. That's it... nothing more.

12. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

Van Gundy would not have helped our stagnant offense last night. I have no desire to go back to watching the rockets struggle to score 85 points a game again.

13. chandlerbang21

its not all on the coaches these players are having mental lapses all game especially James Harden

14. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

That's such an ignorant ****ing statement. JVG made Yao amazing. Year round basketball killed Yao's feet. You can thank the CNT for that.

15. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Les firing Van Gundy was one of his finest moments. Rick Adelman coached circles around and won a playoff series without TMac.

16. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Spoken like a true rookie. JVG's squads did NOT have the firepower this current Rockets squad does. He certainly wouldn't let LMA go off for 40 in back to back games without attempting to defend him differently.

17. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Mini Van Gundy - ball boy

18. thedude077

thedude077 Member

George Karl please.

19. archinkent

archinkent Member

Anyone remember his letter note to T-mac before a playoff game?

20. archinkent

archinkent Member

Ah found it.

[​IMG]