1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brian McCann

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by koby1868, Nov 9, 2016.

1. koby1868

koby1868 Member

Astros are said to be the team that has agreed to trade for Brian McCann.

#1 koby1868, Nov 9, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  2. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

wasn't this someone many on this board wanted us to target at the deadline? don't know enough about him but it definitely sounds like trump promised some $$$ to crane or something bc we're all over the offseason game like whoa!

3. cardpire

cardpire Member

source?

raining threes likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

Just rumors now. "The Yankees believe they have found a trading partner...". Atlanta and Houston are the 2 teams mentioned most often, nothing more than that yet.

*McCann, btw

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

He does have a NTC. They have been burned a time or two before. ;) I'll wait & see.

According to a source, Cashman has already identified a potential trade partner for McCann, who has two years and $34 million remaining on his contract.

McCann has a full no-trade clause, so he will ultimately decide whether he stays or goes, but given his status as the Yankees' designated hitter and part-time catcher, the 32-year-old could decide that he wants to catch full-time, something that won't happen in the Bronx now that Gary Sanchez has established himself as the full-time backstop.

Cashman said he has been “engaging offers” for McCann, but has yet to approach Abbott with anything as of Wednesday.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/yankees-found-trade-partner-brian-mccann-source-article-1.2866610

#5 J.R., Nov 9, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  6. conquistador#11

it's happening! making the catcher position great again! well somewhat nice. The Mccanttis monster.

7. awc713

awc713 Member

I don't want McCann. McCann may have had 9 more HRs than Castro, but he also had 100 more ABs (and, 11 of his HRs were thanks to NYY's absurdly short left-field porch). Castro had more doubles and triples, and better walk and K rates (45 BBs vs. 54 BBs and 45 Ks vs 99 Ks). McCann may be the slightly better offensive catcher, but I don't see him as a clear improvement.

8. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Castro struck out 123 times last year.

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yeah, McCann might have trouble with the massive left field distance at Minute Maid.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  10. awc713

awc713 Member

Yeesh, nice catch. Looked at the wrong stat line. Still, McCann's numbers aren't all that impressive. McCann will also be 33 by season's start.

11. awc713

awc713 Member

Right field porch*

Sorry, long day.

12. right1

right1 Member

McCann is a .235 hitter since 2012. Not the same hitter he eas the first part of his career. Although, that plus his 20-24 HR are an improvement offensively over Castro. And his lefthanded bat would platoon well with Gattis. But $17 million?? Just pisses me off more that we could have had Lucroy.

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I truly wasn't sure since it is also only 314 down the left field line at Yankee Stadium.

14. awc713

awc713 Member

Live look at Yankee Stadium:

[​IMG]

bobrek likes this.
  15. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Nevertheless, Cashman continues to engage several clubs with the Astros, Braves and Nationals all believed interested. Of those, McCann is almost certain to give his blessing to Atlanta because that is where he keeps his offseason home and his family and that of his wife are nearby.

“He calls that home and loves it in the offseason,” said McCann’s agent, B.B. Abbott. “He would look hypothetically at them very seriously if Cash is able to do it. If it is a team a little closer to home that has a chance to contend that fits X, Y and Z, Mac will look at it and determine if it is a fit.”

McCann is due $17 million in each of the next two seasons, and the Yankees might have to pay that down to about the $12 million annual rate to get the return they seek.

Cashman had yet to come to Abbott with a firm offer for McCann to reject or accept. Cashman told Abbott generally what teams could be interested, and Abbott also gave Cashman an outline of McCann’s thoughts.

“I haven’t said, ‘Hey he has to be here or it’s not going to happen,’ ” Abbott said. “Nor has Mac given me permission to do that. Mac basically wants [the Yankees] to come to him. If Cash says there is a deal in place, then I’ll go to Mac and he will say nay or yea. There are a lot of places that would not be fits for him. … I want to re-emphasize to you that he has not made any demands of trade me. He has always approached this as I am a New York Yankee until they ask his permission otherwise.

“I don’t think this is a slam dunk that it happens, I really don’t. He made a choice to be in New York because that is where he wants to be and he got a full no-trade clause because of that.Cash knows that, respects that and loves Brian because of that.”
    http://nypost.com/2016/11/09/yankees-brian-cashman-putting-out-brian-mccann-feelers/

Any team interested in McCann would need to deal with A) his full no-trade clause and B) the remaining money on his contract — $34 million over the next two seasons, plus a $15 million club option.

The Astros, as an American League team, hold an advantage; McCann no longer wants to catch 125 to 130 games, sources say. His body began hurting less after Gary Sanchez replaced him as the Yankees’ primary catcher on Aug. 5, and he told the team’s coaches in September that he felt as good physically as he usually does at the start of the season.

The Nationals likely appeal less to McCann because they would need him to catch regularly. Besides, club officials are not inclined to take on such a sizable financial commitment, sources said; the Yankees value McCann as one of the top 10 offensive catchers in the game, and would want a significant return if they included cash in a trade.

The Braves, due to the presence of Tyler Flowers, would not need to lean as heavily on McCann at catcher, and could offer him a homecoming both to Atlanta and his original club. But the team also is evaluating other catchers who could be acquired with fewer obstacles, sources said.

McCann would not be certain to approve a trade to even the Astros; he enjoys playing for the Yankees. However, the Yanks could add a right-handed hitter who would DH against lefties, further reducing McCann’s at-bats. The mere possibility of a diminished role could increase McCann’s willingness to be traded.
    http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/...n-brian-mcann-yankees-padres-white-sox-110916

17. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Yeah, I initially thought any pursuit of McCaan was as much about his experience as it was production... but he has 53 postseason plate appearances. Altuve has 27.

McCaan's been a league average hitter the past three seasons and it doesn't appear he's a particularly good defensive catcher. He's owed $49MM the next three years *and* would cost us prospects.

No thanks.

18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yeah, I don't see why McCann would be an option given his salary and age. The fact that they want legit prospects on top of that, no thank you. He doesn't hit well enough to be a good DH (.735 OPS over the last 5 years), and we only need our catcher to start 60-70% of the games, with Gattis catching the rest.

The only possible reasoning I can see are his 1st half/2nd half splits. He hits much, much better in the first half, then wears down. Maybe a true 50/50 platoon with Gattis at C/DH keeps both guys invested and fresh and we get an .800 OPS out of both positions.

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Prediction is that the Yankees rework his contract to guarantee his option in 2019 and McCann agrees to go to Houston having added that 3rd year and knowing he will get everyday at bats and only have to catch 60-100 games. New York will pay down all but ~$10M/yr of his salary in order to get a decent return. Houston will give up 2-3 decent prospects (thinking grade 50 guys like Teoscar, Moran, Abreu, Davis, etc.) but not have to take on his whole salary or give up any of their most valuable players/prospects. If that's how it plays out I think it'll be a good deal for everyone.

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member