1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brian Geltzeiler interview on 1560

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HamJam, Jan 25, 2012.

1. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Cool interview on 1560 with Hoopscritic writer Brian Geltzeiler.

Topics include:

-Says Rockets streak is more about team coming together and less about easy schedule

-Kevin McHale deserves a lot of credit for benching people who were not performing like Buddhinger and playing people that produce.

-Talks about performance of Lee, Lowry, Parsons and Dalembert

-Thinks Luis Scola does not have a place on this team anymore and should be traded

-Sees a Rockets/LA trade for Gasol as a good fit since Morey like Gasol and the Lakers need a PG desperately and Scola would be a good replacement for Gasol.

-Unless they bring in a star, the Rockets should stop altering roster because it would hurt team chemistry.

2. HamJam

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If by PG he means Kyle Lowry, I'm gonna have to spit in his face.

1 person likes this.
  4. Burko

Burko Member

Send them the Dragon

5. HamJam

No, he didn't mean Lowry. He was talking more Dragic and Scola for Pau type of deal.

6. Red&BlackPudman

It would be sad to see the Dragon and Scola go, and as much as I hate the Spanish penis, he would make our team a lot better. If K-Low is in the trade then it's awful. He's playing at the level of a top 5 PG in the league. In my opinion, his all around game has him sitting at #2 behind D Rose. Yeah, I said it, I think he's a better player right now than CP3.

7. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I'm not strictly against Dragic/Scola for Gasol....but it comes at a devastating price cap-wise.

It's not so much about whether this trade makes us better....but if this trade is better than what we might otherwise be able to do at the deadline or offseason.

8. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Dragic I'm afraid is starter quality in the NBA. Someone will overpay for him this offseason. He's a great luxury to have as a back-up, but with Llull waiting in the wings if we can get value for him by the trade deadline then I don't see why we shouldn't deal him for longer term value.

9. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

I'd roll with Scola starting and Dragic off the bench before I go with Pau starting and FLYNN off the bench

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

Lakers trade with Gasol likely can't happen unless the Lakers just don't want the guy anymore. But if they really want to add depth, a trade like Gasol for Scola, Dragic, Lee, and Parsons would probably work for the Rockets IMO. We finally get our length up front with Dalembert and Gasol. The Lakers actually get some decent players to shore up the rotation.

11. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

And we lose our team. If you thought the bench was bad now...

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So, what kind of penis do you prefer?

Don't think Dragic would be enough by himself. Remember, the Rockets offered Martin + Scola + Dragic + pick(s) earlier for Pau (and cap room for Nene), not sure the Lakers would take so much less.

13. HamJam

I agree with you completely. Any sort of potential trade like that would come near the deadline when the Lakers might be getting desperate if they are still playing like they are now and when the Magic won't have to host an All-Star game with Dwight Howard not in a magic uniform.

So, if a trade like Geltzeiler imagines is presented to the Rockets, the decision can't be based on whether or not Gasol is the best addition the team can make for the rest of the season, but whether he is also better than any addition they could make in the offseason as well.

But, if Howard is already going to LA, I for one think Pau Gasol could indeed be better than any middling free agent the Rockets could go after -- not just because he is a better player than potential FA's (which he is) but because having him instead of salary cap space might allow us to bring in Sergio Llull and keep Courtney Lee.

As BimaThug points out in this other thread (http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=6580458&postcount=17), if the Rockets go into the offseason looking to add FA's they will most likely not be able to bring in Llull. I am also afraid they may lose Lee by trying to keep their salary cap space open. Plus, they still might not (read probably won't) get the big name free agent they are after.

But, if they have Gasol instead of cap space, then they will have the MLE money to bring in Llull and can use their bird rights to bring back Lee. Overall, I think a bird in the hand( gasol looks like an emu) is better than two in the bush.

14. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

T-Will & Bud instead of Lee & Parsons ... then we might have a deal. But a trade like this one: "4 players for 1" seems pretty unlikely, unless a third team is involved and we can get something in return like draft picks or cash ...

15. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

What's with the Gasol fascination ?? Better try to pry a PF from Utah who have Big Al, Millsap & Favors.

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I could live smilingly :) with that. Won't hold my breath... :eek:

17. King901

King901 Member

LOL i wish i was able to rep you for this.

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

The aborted trade notwithstanding? Hell, Gasol is probably their most efficient player and they have Kobe Gone Wild. Good-bye, Phil, hello malleable young coach (the same who let LeBron do aaaaaanything he wanted).

Giving up too much quality depth. We keep Parsons and Lee. Let them have Bud and maybe Hill.

19. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

I agree and getting one of those guys would really give us a boost ... Utah probably wants Martin, but I can live with Lee at the SG spot.

20. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

Ohhhh I was pissed when I read that. I'm glad someone agrees.