1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brenden Haywood, Mike Miller traded Portland

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Horry33, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Horry33

Horry33 Contributing Member

So Haywood, Miller, and 2 second round picks to Portland for 2 trade exceptions. $13.4 mil and $2.8 mil.

This trade means nothing as of now but what will Cavs be able to flip the exceptions for during the season.

Also, both players are expected to be released by Portland and looking to sign with contenders.

#1 Horry33, Jul 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  2. PJ86

PJ86 Member

Such a weird way of doing business, NBA really needs to come up with better ways so this trading for nothing, excemptions and all is eliminated.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Serious question... What's the best "get" a team has ever traded for with a sizable trade exception?? I don't know... Just curious.

4. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Why? How is it different than team A trades 2 players to Team B for 2 players who trades directly it to Team C for that has cap space?

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i agree. i may be wrong, but i assume the player's union likes this system though.

6. da_juice

da_juice Member

I did some googling and found nothing. I'm surprised a website like Grantland hasn't done a piece on them. I'd love to know now that you mention it, but I don't have the time for all of the research it would take to figure it out.

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Can Haywood and Miller help our Rockets out?

8. RedNation13

RedNation13 Member

I would like mike Miller on this team

9. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Utah got Big Al after losing Boozer a couple years ago.

10. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

although, I've been against Boozer, I think Boozer would be more productive than Haywood. Haywood 7 feet tall, but isn't a very good rebounder. His best year was that 09-10 season he got traded from Dallas to Washington.

Miller, I think, was his best at Memphis year before last. Last year, he had a dismal 32% 3FG. Also he's a wing, so I think we are pretty stacked for that position.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Smiling faces, hidden agendas. LeBron ditching his "boy".

Man, how Pat Riley gonna cut Miller for nothing! CHEAP!
    Trading away Mike is the "right thing to do".

#11 J.R., Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  12. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Doubtful. Haywood would be our 3rd string center. Miller would be stuck behind Thornton and McDaniels in the rotation. I'd rather sign Hayes and Terry.

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Thanks for the feedback.

14. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

After Mike Miller went off in the closing game to help win the finals he had solid year with Memphis.

This year he was very bad and they GOT something for him this time.

Business not personal

15. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Nothing to see here, especially for Rox.

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't see how Portland got much out of this deal for all their trouble. The big contract isn't guaranteed, but they have to pay Miller for the buyout and they sent cash to Cleveland. In return they get an LA-or-Minnesota second rounder in 2019 and the Cavs own second rounder in 2020. It's hard to say how much either will be worth, but you have to discount the value pretty heavily since they come so far into the future. Those look like some pretty expensive second rounders to me. Why did Portland do this deal?

17. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

If we had room on our roster I wouldn't mind adding Mike Miller. He's a great shooter and there are situations in which he could be useful. But considering his health issues and the fact our roster is pretty stacked I don't see a place for him. Hope he goes back East though. He's the kind of guy who can hit a game winner on you.

18. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

While I'd love to pick up a shooter and experienced backup 5 with size, neither of these work for that anymore.

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

As far as backup 5 goes, they're probably looking for Capela to take "that next step" (let's see if Dirk's shooting coach helped Clint at all).

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Maybe after LMA left they weren't getting close to the minimum salary? They were at about $42M before this trade. (Minimum is $63M, I think.)

http://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/POR.html

EDIT: LOL, this whole thing reminds me of the proposed carbon exchanges. What a mess. Sorry, we can ignore that I mentioned cap and trade. But Portland is trading the right to overpay people (pollute) in the future so that they can overpay people (like Miller) now.