1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking: Woj: Melo to hou may take till training camp... Update: Interview added

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Yeah I was making fun of that tweet that someone said we at the 2 yard line with the trade.

RockFanFirst likes this.
  2. theh

theh Member

He's not coming. They haven't made a deal yet because Knicks don't want what we're offering. Nothings going to change.

Mazulis likes this.
  3. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

Thanks Nostradamus.

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

We get that you're not a fan. But even the greats lost a game here and there. Going after a young player because some think he'd make a good 3rd PG is cheap, even for you.

5. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Since the "deal is at the two yard line" tweets, I have been saying that Morey is going to have to expand his offer if he wants this thing done via trade, and I still believe that. The Knicks have no reason to sell super low on Melo. I don't buy the CF narrative where the Knicks would be doing irreparable damage to their team by holding on to an unhappy Melo through the season, and by getting rid of him it would be some huge step into an immediate successful rebuild. They have PLENTY of time, and I'm sure they care more about fetching a proper deal for Melo than putting up with a few (or several) more months of media negativity.

Basically, the Knicks are betting on one of two things happening:

1. Morey expands his trade offer

2. Knicks hold on to Melo until he is so miserable that he expands his list of teams he will waive the NTC for.

Let's hope Morey blinks first, because he sure doesn't have the amount of leverage in these talks that some would have you believe.

6. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

Yawn

7. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Knicks fans are not idiots they just have a large amount of "homerism" like some of us Rockets fans do. The Knicks organization and Dolan however are dumber than bricks. There is no use trying to understand why they do what they do or implement any form of logic as to why they would do such a thing. Which is exactly what scares me. The knicks are the type of organization that would hold Melo hostage dispite the chemistry issues. They would do it quite simply because "they are the Knicks" and that is exactly what scares me. The longer we drag this the harder it will be for us to pull this off. Even with Melo stating he wants to only come here. They don't care what kind of drama it is, whether it is good or bad Dolan will still have a packed MSG and make more money than anyone off his cable vision. Dolan and Perry are two drools away from being labeled "special" or someone with down syndrome. They are that terrible. I would love to have Melo here especially after watching his workouts but the Knicks are just dumb as they get. He's 34 and is not going to get you a lebron, demarcus cousins, antonio davis. To most sports owners with a brain, It comes down to what can i get that won't be a loss yet shed as much payroll as i can. To the Knicks, it is maybe i can still trade Melo for James Harden or Curry or kyrie. It is not going to happen. Maybe les can finance some of the buy out. The Rockets need to get Melo in Houston now and not later.

No Chance likes this.
  8. T for 3

T for 3 Member

How about you explain why you disagree instead of giving a lazy 1 word response????

Step up to the plate man.

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

This has been the most logical outcome since day 1. I don't think he'll even be here for the start of training camp, if at all. Why would they want to help him fit in? The pieces they'll get have practically no impact on their rebuilding process so it doesn't matter to them if training camp starts, and they would probably prefer that he voluntarily refuses to show up. And if he doesn't look ready when he joins us, it will aid the perception that they gave up a player on the decline, and what they got back won't seem so bad. For once, the Knicks are not being stupid, and that's fair.

The good news is, we don't care. We're a 60+ win team without Melo, and Melo's impact will be needed mostly in the playoffs. If anything, it will help to not give him months to question his role. He'll join a powerful contender firing on all cylinders. If that's what it takes for us to get Melo in exchange for no more than Ryan Anderson and fillers, then by all means, let's play the waiting game. Good for us, and better for them. NY leaked some bs OKC possibility, didn't work. They leaked some bs POR possibility, didn't work. Melo didn't blink, and he pulled Cavs off the table as an option. Legend has it Morey hasn't blinked in decades.

I'm just glad to hear we're the only option, because that means we're the destination even in a buy out situation.

CDrex and Hakeemtheking like this.
  10. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Woj's quality in his tweets has really fallen off a cliff since going to BSPN. It's like they have him on a quota to put out a certain amount of tweets a day and he just has to fill it with bullshit.

JVL713 and mario_v like this.
  11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'm not so certain about waiting till after training camp begins, because we still need 1 or 2 additional teams to help facilitate any trade with the knicks, and the timing may not end up being convenient for them

12. Nivos

Nivos Member

To be completely honest, I'm not sure what would send a bad signal more.
    The fact that the knicks have backed up on their promise to Melo, or if they give up to his demands and taking what they percieve as a bad deal.
    I know its their doings. Everything from giving him the NTC, to trying to get him to leave (Jackson's doings) and how they mishundle the negotiation but if we're looking at their side of the story, the biggest fear is not the attraction (or lack of) to free agents. It's that the stars they already have (Porzingis) would feel they can force themselves out of the contract.
    Its a power struggle that the whole league is feeling now. The power of the stars increases over the teams. It gets the league out of balance. If no one respects his contract its a bad way to go.
    Now Melo is on a contract (so does kyrie btw), the teams might just pull of a power show to prove a point and not be forced by the players into bad deals.
    By this point, I dont really care what's happening with Melo. I like our team as is, and would like it better with him on as long as we dont give up too much.
    I don't like though that the stars feel they are bigger than the teams. Thats why I respect Harden for his commitment to the Rockets. I know its buisness and every man for himslef but I still like my sport as a team sport and not controlled by individuals.

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

I don't know but I think as long as Anderson does not play worse, there will always be 1-2 teams willing to take on Anderson for 2 bad contracts which expire in 2 seasons latest.

I also think the likelihood of Anderson's performance improving is higher than him playing worse. Also, his contract is getting shorter every day. The thing we really have to worry about is if his health doesn't hold up. But worth the risk. If we can't trade for Melo, he just won't agree to any trade and they'll buy him out.

It's incomprehensible that a new front office will hold a NY darling like Melo hostage and take sh*t for the previous GM's stupidity. What I think we haven't seen yet and is coming: smear stories planted by Knicks PR.

No Chance likes this.
  14. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, i agree with you. Was just saying cause maybe this wasn't thread worthy (no offense to op obviously).

15. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Gordon, with ariza expring. 1st round pick. That a high package, and melo is not worth that in this market. At best hes worth maybe Ariza, Isiah Hartenstein, Onuka, Taylor, all NG Contracts and 2 future first round picks.

16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

17. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

Good point.

Also remember the Knicks did a lot to get him to leave and told him he was going to Houston earlier this some.

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Morey gives up Eric Gordon or Trevor Ariza for Carmelo I will donate $100 bucks to Clutch and immediately retire from posting.

J.R., DonKnock and Gorki like this.
  19. mario_v

mario_v Member

Rookies are eligible to be traded in august 4th.

Just trade Zhou Qi, Hartenstein, Anderson and a 1st round pick and be done with it.

20. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

So thankful that I am not or never will be a Knicks fan!! I hope the Rockets new owner will have good common sense and not screw up the Rockets. That is my biggest fear on change of ownership.