1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

breaking: Rahm tossed

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Jan 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

Already appeal filed. I think he'll win out, because he has the biggest $$ by far (i think he was ahead by at least 4x his closest opponent in the money race, Chico) and with overall public opinion polls he's near 40% with nearest competitor at 15%

3. YaosDirtyStache

dont worry about reasoning with Basso, itll just lead to you getting frustrated.

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

5. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Just because the guy is popular and has money, he should be exempt from law?

Great stuff!

7. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

ya'll so crazy! that's not his twitter feed

LOL

8. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Is that twitter account real? lol

9. Granville

Granville Member

Maybe he can toss salad....

10. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Yes

11. Rockets R' Us

Uhh. What? Great reasoning process there, I don't see anywhere in my comment the "exempt from law" statement or any reasoning that leads towards it. Maybe you can help me sherlock. I was simply stating my opinion, his financials, and his polls. How does that have anything to do with whether or not he should be held/not held accountable to the law?

And yeah thats not the official twitter feed, this is:

http://twitter.com/rahmemanuel

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Based on the residency law, do you think he should be allowed to run?

13. Rockets R' Us

From what I've read, this ruling rests on the interpretation of the rule allowing for exception from the residency requirements if called upon service for the United States.

The judges in this case believe that residency exception applies only to voters, and not candidates running for mayor.

I think that's shaky ground to base a judgement upon. I need to see more concrete stuff to really have that decision stand; the Illinois state court can put a stay on this order, and let it bubble its way up to the supreme court, and that's the direction I think it'll go. Especially after the circuit court and election board approved it, I don't think they're gonna let it rest in the hands of the appellate courts to settle this decision (that wasn't even unanimous).

It was a 2-1 ruling and here's a link to the dissenting opinion by Justice Lampkin:
    http://www.state.il.us/court/opinions/AppellateCourt/2011/1stDistrict/January/1110033.pdf

And a more indepth link on the details from the Tribune:
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...s-against-emanuel-on-01242011,0,4083659.story

#13 Rockets R' Us, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  14. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

I just shook his hand last Tuesday at the el station near my apartment. I thought he was another bum asking for money for a second.

15. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

George H. W. Bush's state income tax returns agree with you.

16. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Signed,

Ted Kennedy,
    Chappaquiddick, MA

17. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

I'm not always a fan of Rahm. In truth, I think he's a contentious prick. But this seems like a ticky-tack, bs interpretation of the law designed to punish those called to national service. Doesn't seem right. Not to mention, it's just going to drum-up support and sympathy for Rahm when it, inevitably, gets overturned. Bad move by his opposition.

18. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Let's say you've been living in a house, registered to vote, been voting, have bank accounts, have family physicians in Houston for more than a year then your work sent you to a different state for a year. You temporarily lease your house for a year and keep majority of your personal stuff in the basement. You work for a year out of state renting an apartment/house while your wife and kids go back to Houston for physicians appointments and you never purchased a home, registered, voted, applied for driver's license or opened a bank account out of state. After a year you return to your house in Houston. Should you still be allowed to vote in Houston?

19. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Not if your name is Rahm.

20. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

If you're stupid enough to have a basement in Houston, you shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Side note: The thread title is offensive to little people everywhere.