1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Break Down of Moreys Trades

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pugsly8422, Mar 22, 2011.

?

Was this thread a waste of time?

1. Yes

60 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

60 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. ausrocket

ausrocket Member

Rafer for Lowry
    Ariza for Lee
    VSpan for Scola
    2nd Round for Landry
    T-Mac, Landry for Martin

These are all good moves that Morey did.

But if we are going to trade Morey's moves, we should also grade his signings and contracts extensions.

David Anderson - Didn't work out but Morey recovered
    Trevor Ariza - MLE - Didn't work out but Morey recovered
    Marcin Gortat - I bet Morey is now kicking himself for not offering the MLE
    Lois Scola - Probably just slightly on the high side, but Morey had not much other choice
    Brad Miller - I think this is not a good signing. We're still playing as if we don't have a centre

2. kingjosh

kingjosh Member

Why does everyone say that the Ariza trade 'never worked out'. No matter how you look at - low Fg%, attitude, whatever else, he played signifcant minutes for us (and as we all now know, adleman does not hand out mintues to the underserving) and netted us Courtney freadking lee at the end of his tenure.

Ariza = plus asset = Courtney lee

Good signing

3. HOU

HOU Member

Fact is that as a GM you can only take what´s offered. If a star wants to play in a bigger market it`s not your fault. If a team doesn`t want to trade a player within the same conference, an other GM doesn`t like what you can offer, your owner wants to stay under the luxury tax it`s nothing you can force. Also no GM can be blamed when a player gets hurt. Add some luck e.g. with the lotto balls and you see that a GM has only a certain amount of possibilities to help. This is no espn-trade-machine.

4. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Here's another side to Morey, his draft picks (most of which were listed in the OP since they involve trades):

2007 Draft
    Aaron Brooks (26th)
    Carl Landry (31st) (traded future 2nd & cash)
    Brad Newley (54th) (paid cash)

2008 Draft
    Donte Green (28th) (received in the Batum deal) - I think this was his pick
    Joey Dorsey (33rd) (received in the Batum deal)
    Maarty Leunen (54th)

2009 Draft
    Jermaine Taylor (32nd) (paid cash)
    Sergio Llull (34th) (paid cash)
    Chase Budinger (40th) (traded a future 2nd)

2010 Draft
    Patrick Patterson (14th)

Like others have said, you definitely can't expect to hit on every 2nd rounder, just one out of five is good. It looks to me like Morey is 2 for 7 with the chance for that number to go up since 3 of them are overseas. Really, it probably doesn't make sense to even include those 3 since they haven't had much of a chance to play. Take them out and he's 50% when it comes to 2nd rounders.

Pugs

Edit: Took out Batum since that, technically, wasn't a pick made by Morey.

#44 pugsly8422, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  5. CXbby

CXbby Member

And ants get squished. Ant.

6. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

If you're going to include Nicolas Batum, you should probably also include Darrell Arthur.

7. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Nah, pugs just shouldn't have included Batum in the first place.

MEMO TO ROCKETS FANS: Neither Rudy Gay nor Nicolas Batum were drafted by the Rockets other than as a technicality. They were drafted by the Rockets on behalf of Memphis and Portland, respectively. They are no different than any other players the Rockets have passed on in the draft who turned out to be better than the Rockets' own selection.

Please do not get confused about this. Thank you for your time.

8. pugsly8422

Yeah, that's why I put that I figured it was actually Portlands pick and not his, so he really doesn't deserve the credit for that pick.

Oh a totally different note...I was reading some more about future draft picks and ran across something that interested me. In 2008 the Nets traded Marcus Williams to the Warriors for a 2011 1st round pick (with stipulations). Then in 2009 they actually amended the trade. Now it's a 2011 2nd round pick and a 2012 1st (with stipulations). I was unaware you could do this, although I suppose as long as both teams agree to it there is no problem? How often do things like this happen? I wouldn't think it happens a lot.

Pugs

9. LongTimeFan

Bima, it came out after the fact that Thabo Sefalosha was our draft pick over Rudy Gay. I never heard anything come out that x player was the guy we would have drafted over Batum -- do you have a link to anything of the sort? I don't think you should dismiss the possibility that the Rockets had Batum ranked 21 and Greene ranked 21b (for example), but saw getting a 2nd rounder in addition as a better value.

Is it likely? I have no idea; I know that I have yet to read anything that stated the Rockets were drafting x player over Batum like I heard about Gay-Sefalosha. Of course, I could always have missed it.

10. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

No a GM in NBA can make all good moves, that is too much to ask for. So far Morey did great jobs for the rockets. However, for the big trade moves, he has not demonstrated much yet, I know that it is easy to say than do, but the rumors were that the rockets were willing to take either Melo or Amare as a renter, which could be a big mistake if either move could be made. Also, the rumor of TMac (TMac refused) for VC trade (a couple years ago) could be a bad one too. We have to wait for a big time move to declare that he is great.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Why is "3" one trade and "6" and "7" two trades?

12. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Even if the Rockets had Batum slightly higher on their draft board than Greene, the fact of the matter is that, BEFORE they selected, they decided that getting the #27 pick plus the #33 pick was better value than "just" using the #25 pick on a player (Batum, Greene or anyone else).

How is that any different than having a trade on the table, ready to be done, that would allow the Rockets to move UP in the draft to the top-5 but would involve some bad aspects that eventually scares off the Rockets?

In that scenario, would you consider the top-5 pick to be a Rockets draftee? I sure wouldn't.

13. LongTimeFan

The reason I ask is because if the Rockets had not traded for Shane Battier, they would have drafted Sefalosha. I was comparing that to if the Rockets had not traded down, would they have still drafted Nicolas Batum? Your bolded part below seems to indicate that they would not have and I was just looking for evidence to corroborate your assumption.

#53 LongTimeFan, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  14. pugsly8422

Good point. I was going to remove #7 and just put it all in #6, then I realized that would mess up the numbers I listed below (the trades Morey won and lost, as well as the win %), so I just made it 6a and 6b.

Pugs

15. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Morey hasn't hit that homerun trade yet, but I'll more than willing to roll with him on draft night. He should've taken Deandre Jordan in this particular draft but his track record in the draft is very impressive.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Wins 3, 3, 4, 7, 9, 11, 14, 15, 16, and 20
    Losses 4, 6, 8, 12, 13, 19
    Push 1, 2, 5, 17
    Meh 10, 18

6 is the only loss worth noting. Bima brings up a good point that the Rockets draft Batum for Portland, but he is still who the Rocks had an opportunity to draft. Even if you put 1st round pick there, the Rockets still lose. I put 3 down twice as those were two trades even though one made way for the other, but I don't know if both were agreed to at same time.

17. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

He should have been fired after the Battier for Gay trade.

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Really? Cause it seems like Memphis is playing better w/o Gay.

19. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Maybe, although I'm not a particularly big fan of DeAndre Jordan. I think he's a guy who can block some shots and dunk on a bad team. His defense is actually bad (he's always going for the block or rebound instead of playing solid man- or help defense or boxing out, etc.) and he just strikes me as an unintelligent player (like Dorsey).

So, yes, Jordan would have been a better pick than Dorsey. But I don't think that Jordan would have been successful within the structure of a winning team.

20. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I'm glad to hear you acknowledged he was a better pick than Dorsey. You had me going there for a moment. :rolleyes: