1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Braxton Miller - Texans 3rd round pick, 85th overall

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 29, 2016.

?

Do you agree with the pick?

Poll closed Sep 1, 2016.
  1. YES

90.0%
  2. NO

10.0%
  1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Third round

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He wouldn't have been, that's why he changed positions.

3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

you cray

4. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

He lost a college starting job to Cardale Jones and JT Barrett... What makes you think he would have been drafted before him?

5. donkeypunch

He lost it because of injury. Before that, he was a Heisman favorite. People come back from injury and still are able to do amazing things. Please tell me you knew thats why he lost his starting job.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Teams already got burned on Manziel and Tebow, they weren't going to take a chance on him as a QB. Greg Ward could win the Heisman this year and he still won't be drafted as a QB.

Run first QB's just aren't going to make it in the NFL.

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

There's a pretty substantial list of heisman favorite QBs that didn't quite make it in the NFL. Not saying this was Braxton but we can't use the heisman as a measure of his draft position or NFL success.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Preseason game 1:

Cardale y/a 7.7, qbrating 94

Mallet y/a 6.1, qbrating 83

Cardale is already better than Mallet, despite Mallets high potential based on new information

9. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Yes, I know he got injured, but he came back and didnt take back the starting job. You really think if he was seen as the best QB on the team they would have let him go play WR instead?

10. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

who gives a ****? let's talk about what he'll actually do in the NFL instead of spending 2 pages stroking each off about asinine hypotheticals.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Perhaps, at least none of them are a REALLY bad QB that would have a performance like

Hoyer y/a 6.1 QB rating 22.6 (against backups)

Also, both of those guys passed for a TD in week 1, unlike some super awesome QB's in Chicago that has only thrown interceptions after 2 weeks.

Now, do you want to cut out the BS or do you want to keep making yourself look stupid?

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

His ability to get open and make moves in the open field is a thing of beauty. If he stays healthy he should be a very good WR for the Texans. Probably never WR1 material but I think one day he'll be a very solid WR2

13. donkeypunch

No doubt I wasnt using it as a barometer for his nfl success at qb, I was using that as an example for a reason the he wouldnt have lost his starting role, if not for injury

He was on record saying that his shoulder wasnt 100% healed and mobile for throwing when OSUs camp started so he didnt want to have a qb camp battle. Plus, Cardale was fresh off winning the national championship. It was a question of was he able injury-wise, not able talent-wise. He was hands down better than cardale and jt at the qb position.

Anyway I still think he wouldve went in the 3rd or 4th and definitely way before Cardale.

14. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I was under the impression that Braxton's shoulder was so jacked up that he knew it wouldn't make it in the NFL.

He lost his job due to injury.

I think he was getting second and third round grades when he was the Heisman favorite.

He didn't seem to read the field very well on the college level, but would keep things alive and create plays.

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

IIRC Braxton had a shoulder injury in college. When he came came from injury, his shoulder was not strong enough to make all of the throws so instead sitting out a year and to rebuild his strength Braxton changed positions. His shoulder may now be strong enough to make all the throws for college, but who knows about the pros?

I would not be surprised if OBie has drawn up some wildcat pass plays for Braxton.

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-video" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">And they keep runnin' <a href="https://twitter.com/BraxtonMiller5">@BraxtonMiller5</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/HoustonTexans">@HoustonTexans</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/1way?src=hash">#1way</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/smsports?src=hash">#smsports</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/sportsbiz?src=hash">#sportsbiz</a> <a href="https://t.co/EGYzPhbE7u">pic.twitter.com/EGYzPhbE7u</a></p>&mdash; DANIEL DAVID (@DannyDavid) <a href="https://twitter.com/DannyDavid/status/766406959121727488">August 18, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

The guy really reminds me of a more athletic version of Julian Edelman. Obviously he's not as good as Edelman right now but I think he has that potential. Ironically enough both used to be QBs and play in a similar system now.

18. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Percy Harvin.

I think we will see the comparisons when they open him up.

Went to training camp, and I can assure you that they are being very bland.

What you saw yesterday was Brock being very good.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, Brock was very good, I don't think he threw an uncatchable ball all day long.

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

His first pass wasn't good, after that he was perfect.