1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brandon Weeden returns to Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DieHard Rocket, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yeah maybe so. Hopefully they can fill the rest of the holes with limited picks

2. ballgame

ballgame Member

Drafting a QB in round 3 is waaaay down on the list. They need a OL, TE, RB and a CB. Th
    I like this kid Logan Woodside. He has the upside I like!

red5rocket and raining threes like this.
  3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Because we aren't the Pats. They can afford to spend 2nd and 3rd round picks on their backup QB given how few holes they typically have, we just don't have that luxury unfortunately. And the return wasn't all that great for the Pats, they got a 2nd back for Garoppolo so basically they rented a cheap backup QB for a few years which isn't a bad thing. But Phillip Dorsett for Brisset isn't that good, basically traded a 3rd round pick for Dorsett which I don't think anyone would've applauded.

#63 gucci888, Mar 28, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  4. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, we need all those positions, and honestly round 3 is waaaay down on the list for any of them, but sometimes a 3rd round QB turns out to be a jewel. I just don't feel comfortable with Weedon as our 2nd string guy. If he wasn't good enough last year what has changed? That Osweiller fiasco really screwed us up in more ways than one, and it isn't over yet, by having no first or 2nd round picks. Ugh.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Why not? If the 2nd string guy plays, the Texans are screwed no matter who it is so why would it matter?

raining threes likes this.
  6. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Let me put it this way. If Minnesota had Weeden for their backup last year, somehow I doubt they would have made it to the Super Bowl.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well 2 things

1. They didn't have a franchise QB
    2. They still didn't make it to the Super Bowl.

Having a franchise QB changes everything because you aren't looking to waste a ton of money on backups so that you can fill other holes. Teams with legit franchise QB's rarely have worth a damn backups unless they are near the end of their career because the team knows if the backup ends up playing, they are screwed anyway.

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Rats...I missed that Vikings Patriots Super Bowl.

Bobbythegreat and houstonstime like this.
  9. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Maybe so, but until he proves he is durable I wouldn't want to put all our chickens in one basket. Two torn ACLs at his age isn't a good sign.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, like it or not, when we used 2 first round picks on him, we put all of our chickens in the Watson basket. We'd be setting him up for failure by wasting resources on a backup instead of putting everything into filling the legit holes on the team.

raining threes and showa13 like this.
  11. bobrek

Not saying Weeden can lead a team to a Super Bowl, but last year you could probably have also said "If Minnesota had Keenum for their backup last year, somehow I doubt they would have made it to the NFC Championship Game."

raining threes likes this.
  12. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I am not going to argue that point. I just wonder if we really did that though in what we ended up with in free agency. Some teams seemed to either pursue a little harder, or simply were willing to pay more for the best, and with us not having 1st and 2nd round picks I just wonder if we did enough.

13. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Bob, is that you?

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well yeah, I think that the biggest misstep was losing out on a legit LT and there was only one in the FA class. Other than that, I think the rest of FA went alright, though there was a few players I would have personally targeted. Since it's in the past, we just have to trust that BOB will make a decent GM and if that ends up not being the case, we fire BOB and his puppet and move on.

deb4rockets likes this.
  15. Nimo

Nimo Member

Right. I doubt very few outside of UH alumni thought predicted Keenum's season. Fole's too. When Wentz went down, everyone predicted the Eagles to not make it past the first round of the playoffs.

16. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I forgot about how Kirk Cousins was a scrub when RGIII went down.

17. Juxtaposed Jolt

Perhaps someone with an afro who used to play for the 49ers, maybe?

18. showa13

showa13 Member

What Kirk Cousins level backup QB was/is available?

People keep complaining about the backup spot like there was a pile of Nick Foles just sitting there. If Deshaun goes down, we aren't good and we get a high draft pick. If he doesn't go down, then we'll all forget who the backup even is. Also there's this thing called the draft that hasn't happened yet, plenty of QB's who could become a viable backup will be there. Again, we're getting alittle too worked up over a backup QB who might not even be the backup QB once we get to week 1

19. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I mean, I can't think of a much more underwhelming backup quarterback. Watson has a history of injuries, if he goes down again you're basically done if Brandon Weeden is your guy. I don't like the idea of using one of our few picks on a backup quarterback, but if someone falls you'd have to consider it now I think.

20. bobrek

It is me....not sure if I am the you you are referring to.