1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BRANDAN WRIGHT @ the 4

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ROX_fan_CT, Jul 11, 2013.

1. ROX_fan_CT

ROX_fan_CT Member

BRANDAN WRIGHT has always given us problems in the past. I think with his abiloty to hit an outside shot plus having the athleticism and ability to defend and protect the rim, he could be a servicable and affordable starting pf. He shouldnt require more than the MLE.

Bleacher Reprt:

Last Team:*Dallas Mavericks

Position:*PF/C

2012-13 Per-Game Stats:*8.5 points, 4.1 rebounds, 0.6 assists, 0.4 steals, 1.2 blocks, 21.0 PER

Brandan Wright has two primary assets on the basketball court.*

The first is his remarkable athleticism and length. He's able to convert that into a knack for blocking shots, although he's still prone to challenging anything and everything in his general area. Wright has also developed into a solid finisher around the basket, also aided by his hops.*

Secondly, the 25-year-old big man is very aware of his limitations. He doesn't try to force the issue when opportunity isn't knocking.*

He shot 59.7 percent during the 2012-13 season, which was actually*down from the year before.
    Wright just rarely attempts bad looks.*

The big man also displays tremendous care for the rock, averaging only 0.5 turnovers per game for the Mavericks this past year. His sparkling 7.1 turnover percentage would have trailed only Steve Novak had he used enough possessions to

2. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

I don't think we have an MLE, just a room exception.

3. bandwagon

bandwagon Member

Brandan Wright is a terrific scorer in the post. But he has no jump shot whatsoever. He would be a terrible fit with Dwight.

And I'm sure he's worth more than just a 2-year Room MLE contract.

4. ROX_fan_CT

ROX_fan_CT Member

His last contract in 2011 was for 1.9mil for 2 years
    http://www.spotrac.com/nba/dallas-mavericks/brandan-wright/

MLE should be more than enough.

We would have to agree to disagree about his ability to make jump shots. I recall him hitting enough of them against us.

5. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I'd love to have him as a back up 5 if we trade Asik.

6. ROX_fan_CT

ROX_fan_CT Member

7. bandwagon

bandwagon Member

That's because he was coming off 3 injury-plagued seasons where he missed way more games than he actually played. Oh, and he averaged only 3.8 ppg right before he hit free agency in 2011. His value had bottomed out at the wrong time.

He has had a career renaissance in Dallas since, and has remained reasonably healthy. His value has peaked at the right time. It's nonsense that you're comparing his situation in 2011 to 2013.

Depends on the MLE, doesn't it?

Full MLE @ $22M/4yrs? More than enough.

Mini MLE @ $9M/3yrs? It's possible.

Room MLE @ $5M/2yrs? No way. Injury prone guy like him will want that 3rd year.

8. bandwagon

bandwagon Member

Wright is hoping for $5 million per season over 4 years, which is about $22 million total. That's the max Dallas can offer him. (I doubt Wright gets that much)

Rockets can't go anywhere near that number. Best offer the Rockets can give him is the Room MLE, which is $2.7 million per season over 2 years.

9. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Man these threads are pissing me off, i thought we signed him or something. These threads where people think of random FA's to play for us is just as stupid as making a thread about a trade idea.