1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brad Mills is safe, no matter what the rumors sites say

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jim1961, Sep 20, 2011.

?

Should Mill's & his staff be back next season?

1. Neither Mill's or his staff should come back next season

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Both Mill's and his staff should be back next season

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Lets keep Mill's, but ditch the staff

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. The staff is fine, lets get rid of Mill's

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/20/brad-mills-is-safe-no-matter-what-the-rumors-sites-say/

Two points come to mind after reading this.

1) The conclusion that the state of the Astros, that is their losing record isnt Mills fault.

While I agree with this, I dont think that should be the criteria for whether he is the coach we should move forward with. Personally, I haven't formed a firm opinion either way. But saying his job is safe because he is not the one who made the team bad is silly.

2) How safe Mill's job is going to depend much on how the Crane ownership change comes out. If it indeed happens, then how much housecleaning Crane has in mind will shape Mill's future more than anything.

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Mills has been very underwhelming for me. The time has come for him to go. And note to future management, quit picking up options and adding years to deals a year in advance.

3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

That is the direction I am leaning, but since another 100 loss season next year is definitely a possibility, I am unsure now is the time to bring in someone better.

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I think it's easier to make judgements on coaches when they have talent and are underperforming. The Astros are simply terrible and went into firesale mode, and as you pointed out, next year probably won't be much better. I'd hate to see a coach get fired when he doesn't have a whole lot to work with.

5. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

If you go by the pythagorean W-L, we should be around 60-93. So by that measure, he's underperformed.

Yes, the team wasn't going to be good anyway, but we're probably worse than we should have been. We were underperforming even before we went into firesale mode.

6. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with you. He has not been a disaster or a revelation, so it is very hard to say how good or bad he is. The Astros have far more pressing concerns that Mills. Let him comeback next year and then make a decision. The Astros will probably be a 95-105 loss team next year regardless of whomever their manager is.

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Then we should bring back Cecil Cooper who out performed The Pythagorean during his Astros tenure?

If Selig keeps pushing back the owner's vote on Crane, Crane might have little choice but to keep Mills (since the A list of managerial replacements during the off season might be gone). Seeing how this benefits the team Selig owns, one can see that Selig's motives may not be pure.

8. spence99

spence99 Member

This is the guy who continued to play Jason Michaels all year long. That alone is enough to qualify him as a bad manager in my eyes. But I agree it's not a high priority to get a new manager now.

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

JMike might be setting a good example to the rookies and Mills awards him with starts??? Mills and Wade might have wanted to lock in the top pick???

I can see legit reasons why Mills did why he did with JMike.

IMO, Mills needs to be judged on how well he has developed the rookies after they arrived in The Bigs. Mills appears to have done a reasonable job.

10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Right now, the Astros shouldn't judge their coach by wins/losses too much, I agree. And sure, he doesn't have a lot to work with. But the kind of coach we need right now and next year is one that is eager to play and develop the young talent. And Mill's propensity for playing vets over young talent (Jmike, Lee over Wallace, ect...) concerns me.

11. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

If I was Mills, I'd just resign. The team is horrible and won't be competitive for 3-5 years.

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

If we were on the low side of pythagoean because we were sitting vets and playing young guys in their stead, I would be ok with being behind on that analysis.

But instead, I keep thinking of all those games where we:

1) Rode the starter till the wheels fell off
    2) Went through our relief staff too hurriedly (pulling them after 1 out or 8 or 10 pitches). leaving ourselves undermanned late in the game.
    3) Some very questionable substitutions

13. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

The biggest mistake the Astros ever made was losing Gerry Hunsicker. That guy knows how to run an organization.

14. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

For the near future, I would judge Mills based on how well the rookies and second-year players develop. I wouldn't judge him based on wins and losses or game management. As outsiders, we won't know how he's doing until next year sometime.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Sure, so he can be labeled a quitter and never get another shot managing at the MLB level? So he can let a couple million dollars sitting on the table?

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

Being out of the US in recent years, I haven't watched the Astros in a while. My thoughts on managers is that they're generally replaceable parts that you try to fit the team. i.e. a tough guy if players are laid back.

That is, unless said manager have some sort of ingenuity that really make your players better. Since I've been watching the Astros, the only manager I've seen this spark has been Larry Dierker. And unless Mills look like a Dierker, I really don't care what they do with him.

17. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

MLB coaches are as close to worthless as you can get in professional sports. If the Astros had the best MLB coach of all time they may have been able to pull out maybe 5 more wins? Make a double switch here, call a bunt there whatever.

18. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Yeah, let's change our managers every two years -- that's worked out great for us. :rolleyes:

Give the guy a talented team and see what he does. Until then, no point in firing him when he's got nothing to work with.

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Baseball managers are largely disposible. I see no point in hiring a new manager, just to have this same issue 2 years later. Managers can help as midseason spark plugs to change the atmosphere of an underperforming team, but can't help a team that is flat out bad.

This team sucks, nothing any manager can do about it. May as well let him finish out the contract, no need to throw away money.

20. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There's an old adage that every MLB team is "guaranteed" 54 wins and 54 losses. What you do in the remaining 54 games is what determines what kind of season you have.

If that's true, we're one win away from that 54-win mark. Does that mean given the talent level, pretty much anyone can coach this team as well as Mills has this year?