1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Boycott Texas Monthly Magazine

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Doctor Robert, Dec 8, 1999.

1. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Like every other magazine on the rack, the December '99 issue of Texas Monthly lists all of their favorite people from Texas over the past century. One of the many categories is the Basketball Player of the Century. Their choice for this category is Sheryl Swoopes, a woman who is a fantastic basketball player, led her college team to a national championship with some amazing performances, but has only played three years of professional basketball and is only the second best player on her team.

The runner up is Hakeem Olajuwon and he is given ONE sentence of praise. I don't need to list Hakeem's resume here for everyone to know that this is blasphemy.

2. RocketHead2

RocketHead2 Member

Hmmm,
    That's is odd. Hakeem has graced the cover of Texas Monthly on two occasions that I can think of. Although it's hard to boycott a magazine you never read, I'm right there with you. Texas Monthly along with SI is now officially boycotted in my house.

3. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

My Sis knows an editor over there. I'll have to pass on our displeasure. [​IMG]

Rockethead, I also boycott SI. I have only bought 1 (the one with Clyde) in over 10 years. They totally dissed Tech and something else I cannot remember.

4. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Cohen-
    I remember. They dissed the hell out of the Rocks in'94 with that cover of Ewing and the title of "Will he ever get his ring," or something to that effect. What is it about Houston teams? They never get the respect they deserve.

------------------
    Proud Cheerleader 'til we move to New Orleans

5. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Well, the selection of Sheryl Swoopes is a pretty obvious indication of the basketball knowledge at Texas Monthly. It's nothing but an obsequious and insincere gesture meant to demonstrate how politically correct and culturally "with it" TM's writers are.

I mean, golly, how primitive, how insensitive, how downright ignorant they'd be to select the most famous basketball player the state's ever produced-- Hakeem Olajuwon-- when they have the chance to make a token selection like Swoopes?

TM is nothing more than a banal magazine dedicated to shallow causes and snobbish culture. We shouldn't expect them to understand Hakeem Olajuwon's importance vs. that of Swoopes, but we shouldn't excuse their ignorance either.

I'm with ya. I don't read it now and don't intend to any time soon.

------------------
    Nothing but NET--

http://www.clutchcity.NET

Don't Fight the Future

6. dream_team

dream_team Member

the editors or voters must be women.

7. BrianKagy

I doubt it, dream_team. Gender has little relation to a person's ability to think reasonably.

I bet the writer was male. Because sportswriting is considered "uncultured" by the type of person who writes for TM, this writer probably felt some pressure to prove that he wasn't a typical sportswriter and had a more well-rounded perspective.

As evidence, he made a trendy pick-- a female player with a whopping three years of pro ball under her belt-- instead of an intelligent one.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Excuse me, but did it say male basketball player of the century?

I just think that the fact that she played high school, college and pro ball in the state, winning championships on each level, is what got her the award.

Sure, I too think that it should have gone to Hakeem, but I am a little biased. I would not go as far to label the magazine as just pre-occupied with being political correct.

IMO, they probably looked at the fact that Swoopes has dominated her sport and all or most of that time as been in Texas. However, the same can be argued for Olajuwon. However, I wouldn't go as far as to say they are idiots. It's just really convenient to call people sexist or just trying to be "PC" when a woman is picked over a man. In this case, it's not that much of a stretch to name Swoopes the basketball player of the century.

Now, where I'm boycotting TM is because of Team of the Century. I agree with the Dallas Cowboys. Can't argue with that many Super Bowls (I'm puking right now), however, the runner-up, Texas A&M football? Am I missing something? The Rockets have won 2 NBA Championships to their 1 NCAA Championship (in 1938 I might add). The Longhorns have won 3, have the fifth most wins EVER in college football, but they give it to a team who won a championship in the 30s because of their "indomitable team spirit"? That's ridiculous.

Can you say Aggie editor? At least they didn't put R.C. Slocum as coach of the century instead of Darrell Royal. I'm actually surprised they didn't.

------------------
    Is it any coincidence that we are the only team mentioned in the national anthem?

I didn't think so!

[This message has been edited by Rocketman95 (edited December 08, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Rocketman95 (edited December 08, 1999).]

9. BrianKagy

Go to NBA.com and look at Hakeem's career stats.

Then go to WNBA.com and compare Sheryl Swoopes' numbers.

How can this even be debated?

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Could it be that everyone on the list is Native Texan? I'm not sure, but that may have something to do with it.

My point is that it isn't the hugest stretch in the world to give Swoopes that honor.

11. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

oh friggin relax, people. it is Texas Monthly, not Sports Illustrated or ESPN magazine or something. If you know anything about the jist of that magazine you would not have your panties in a wad. It is not a sports magazine, its a quasi-folksy texas cultural magazine. Hakeem's numbers are irelevant, they just wanted to talk about sheryl. I do not know if bankrupting their advertisers is really appropriate for such a minor slight.

Nice job boycotting people that present opinions different from our own, by the way. that mentality is my least favorite part of some members of this BBS. Like we should be the "Dream Police" and go spew venom on people who do not say "Rockets Hakeem Barkley #1" every breath of their lives. I do not agree with their take on Swoopes being a bigger deal than dream, but she is native and i can see where they are coming from. I think Hakeem is a fresher story, going to college here, mentored by Moses Malone, then became a nigerian texas legend. Love it. Shoulda written it myself.

"Hakeem could whip Sheryl's ass in 1 on 1, how could they print that!!!" Please, folks, relax.

CBrownFanClub

Oh and incidentally Chucky Brown is the Texas Basketball Story Of The Century, so the argument is moot

12. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No matter how many airplanes and offices I visit,I'll never pick up that rag again.

13. BrianKagy

1) Re: being a native Texan-- excellent point. I have not read the article, so I do not know if this is the context in which the selections were made.

I am just saying that based on what was originally posted, it's a ludicrous selection.

2) Re: The boycott. Funny, I don't see anything about boycotting TM's sponsors or advertisers.

I see Doctor Robert asking Rocket fans to boycott the magazine. To me, that means, "Please don't read it".

Entirely reasonable.

------------------
    Nothing but NET--

http://www.clutchcity.NET

Don't Fight the Future

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

How about don't read it because it's a crappy magazine that's just full of advertisements?

(I promise I just read it this once!) [​IMG]

However, I think the point was that by boycotting the magazine over something like this, and thus hurting their advertisers in an indirect way is pretty stupid.

15. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I would like to commend CBrownFanClub for sneaking in a Cheap Trick reference in his last post. Good job.

16. popeye

popeye Member

Just to keep Texas Monthly in perspective, I will tell you this true story:

I was a subscriber for a number of years. Then, thirteen or fourteen months ago (sorry, I forget how long) it was sold to a New York publishing firm.

Of course their masthead still had a Texas address. It remained being called the Texas Monthly. Although it rightfully should be called the Yankee Impression of A Damn Redneck Regurgitated Simple-Minded Glossy Wrestling and Beauty Salon Magazine

First issue after the buy out:

Memorable Moments in Texas History.

A rehash of the event and subsequent investigation (and not even a very good one), including front page pictures of ... "The Kennedy Assassination" Okay. This is embarassing. This is a Mickey Mouse article. Duh. The whole dang magazine is like that in this issue. One inane and stupid article after another. Some are good writers too. What is going on here? Hide the magazine from friends.

Second Issue after the buy out:

Memorable Texans:

Full Front Page of Dennis Rodman. Rehash of all the same old BS and Flash Gordon s**t of his side-show slide-show. The article was written like one of those throw away mags like Entertainment Tonight, ShowBiz, or like the ones with bland, repetitive, short industry-generated personality stories that you find in the pocket on airplanes. I am mad now!!! These guys have insulted my intelligence.

I called the magazine. I did not write. I called it. Right then. I did not put it off one minute.

I get passed from one voice to another. I will admit I lied a bit. I told them I was from the Houston Chronicle and I was doing a story on the statewide uproar over the sale of the magazine. I finally get the Senior Vice President of Blah, Blah, Blah. I swear that's what I thought his secretary said.

I asked if there was a wholesale change of the previous editors and personnel along with the change in ownership. The "informational services and public relations vice president" (like I said ... sounds like Blah, Blah, Blah if you say it real fast) stated:

..... there has been some staff "movement" (I asked "the bowel movement?", he didn't catch on ... or he ignored me)

..... but they would still maintain the "spirit of Texas" (I asked: " Was that the spirits you drink, or the ones you lock people up for if they say they see them?" He says: " .... excuse me,sir or madam...." (My Answer: "... oh never mind").

..... He went on to say that all the editors were working diligently to flavor....
    ( I said: "...you guys are eating the damn magazine?") ...excuse me, sir or madam? ... ("never mind" I say.)

...... towards the real Texas demographic. ( Is he talking about usn being complete idiots? Now I don't know what you would do, but this is really pissing me off by now.... ")

..... but we ah, are attempting to give it some, ahhhh .... cosmopolitan focus.( I say; "Still smells like BS to me.)

He starts to mumble again. I now know why it sounded like he was the vice president of Blah, Blah, Blah. He reminds me of it everytime he starts a sentence. A couple of hurumphs and a few prolonged aaaaahhhhsss ....

I say: "Please tell your cosmopolitan-thinking Yankee publisherI have cancelled my lifetime subscription. And I will be encouraging every person with a grade two or better education to do the same. Sir or Madam. "

The Texas Monthly magazines's Vice President In Charge of Information Srevices and Public Relations (Short for Blah, Blah, Blah)answered:

".... huh?"

[This message has been edited by popeye (edited December 08, 1999).]

17. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

Popeye - nice work. thanks for doing that, not all of us had the time or enthusiasm. I lived in Philly at the time of the switchover, and all the sudden the Philadelphia Weekly was more Texan than Texas monthly arriving at the door. Hell of alot less expensive, too. Needless to say, subscription cancelled.

I love border skirmishes about things like Texas monthly On CC.net. An incidentally, Texas monthly does suck buns.

Momma's allright, Daddy's allright, they just seem a little weird.

CBrownFanClub

18. SaluteCharles

SaluteCharles Member

Sounds like a conspiracy of New York to embarrass Texas. lol.

1) Sheryl over Hakeem makes absolutely no sense unless it did have to be a native Texan. REally, it just sounds like a sorry magazine that isn't worth reading but it is embarrassing if it is made to look like TExans publishing this magazine and cutting down their own state by regurgitating the assassination and Dennis Rodman's short stint in TExas.

2) Texas A&M - those Aggies have a lot of pull! I mean, if it is not a woman, it has to be an Aggie right - YALL SEEM SOMEWHAT PREJUDICED TO ME, POSTERS.

3) Excuse me, but Brian Kagy, in particular, seems to have a problem with women. I find this disturbing as he is an administrator and should be held to a higher level.

SaluteCharles = bballfanatic = YES, I AM A WOMAN!

19. SaluteCharles

SaluteCharles Member

Oh, by the way. Bottom line - doesn't sound like a very reputable magazine and since I have never heard of it, I am not interested in reading it after this topic.

GO ROCKETS!

SALUTE CHARLES