1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BOXING] KHAN v. PETERSON - Tonight.

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Rockets R' Us, Dec 10, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

Not a spectacular matchup but should be interesting, I expect Khan to take it rather easily. Word from ESPN has it that the undercard has a decent heavyweight contender who could go on to perhaps fight the Klitschkos.

2. PinoyRocket

PinoyRocket Member

KARMA TO THE BRITS...

LOL.

I WON 120 DOLLARS. HEHE.

3. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

hmm some pretty suspicious officiating by that ref. why in the world was he only calling out khan whenever peterson clinched up? he never once warned peterson whenever he was sticking his head into khan's chest. also not sure about the 2nd point deduction. the fight was a war but khan fought underwhelming overall.

4. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Quite an upset.

5. what

what Member

That post interview with Khan spoke volumes I thought. He kept harping on how "clean" a fighter he was. I kinda lost a little respect for the guy. Because he clearly relies far too much on being flashy rather than spectacular.

Yeah, peterson got awarded 2 point deductions, but khan was awarded a knockdown that he didn't deserve. At worst this was a close fight and I thought peterson did enough to win it.

6. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Khan was sloppy as hell, and yeah the knockdown in the 1st wasn't right so I guess overall it's not too bad. Still think the ref was only calling out Khan though, it was just odd to me.

7. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I scored it 113-112 for Khan, even with those questionable deductions. I hate fights that become more about the ref than they do about the fighters. That ref was a joke and didn't call out Peterson once for leading with his head.

8. jae713

jae713 Member

Peterson punished Kahn's body. It was a close fight. I still thought that Kahn was slightly ahead. I just hate it when a fight is dictated by the ref and not the fighters.

9. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

10. Dei

Dei Member

Split decision with one 114-111 to Khan and two 113-112 to Peterson. I think Khan's got a case to say he won.

11. coolweather

coolweather Contributing Member

the penalties cost Khan's belt.

12. VanityHalfBlack

Khan won that fight...

13. what

what Member

I don't think so.

It's one thing to box rather than brawl, but it is another to run around the ring and tap the guy with pitter-pat punches.

Compubox numbers show Khan landed 238 total punches to Peterson's 226. Peterson's punches had more power, more impact.

Peterson was also the more aggressive fighter, while Khan's speed allowed him to at least be in the conversation of ring generalship. This is a matter of personal preference, but Khan's dancing didn't do it for me this fight.

Frankly, if Peterson was the favorite coming in there wouldn't have been a question as to who won the fight.

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Peterson looked like he got beat up. I think one of the rounds he said he was tired. Peterson through a bunch of body shots while Khan threw combinations to petersons head. Khan looked a lot faster and is more talented than peterson IMO. His dancing didn't help, but he had a lot more solid connections.

15. adboy

adboy Member

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Whatever you think of the match, the outcome is highly unusual. How many points have been deducted for pushing in any major fight during recent years? How many times has a boxer been deducted 2 points under similar circumstances (and 2 that cost him the decision)?

17. adboy

adboy Member

exactly my sentiments. you just don't see that anywhere.

18. thabeet

thabeet Member

i went to the fight last night and i agree. khan has reason to contest. understandably, it was a very hostile atmosphere for khan as the crowd was very very pro-peterson (he is from dc). that definitely had some influence/pressure on the referee.

also, i was told multiple times by some white guys behind me that i needed to go back to the middle east (even though i was born here) and that if i didnt like america than i should go back to where i come from.

when i told him he was being racist, he said he was being american.

19. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

man that is disgusting. it was painstackinly obvious the ref was only calling out Khan in the clinch up, or whenever Peterson constantly led with his head. Not once did he tell Peterson to stop, only Khan, over and over. So bad.

20. adboy

adboy Member

apparently khan said he heard the warning but said that he was leading with the head and could do nothing about it