1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Boxing] Deontay Wilder bandwagon thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by KingCheetah, Aug 2, 2014.

Tags:
  1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:eek: It seemed you had posted the same thing, and at first I was all " :eek: " KingCheetah, but then I LOL'd :grin: .

2. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

And the black hype continues. It took Wilder 9 rounds to dispatch Molina which is another bum of the month that nobody ever heard of. That same bum Molina landed some good punches, one of them was a left hook that wobbled Wilder. Wilder is a fraud of a champion, don't even bring Klitschko into the conversation. Wilder's WBC mandatory is Povetkin which I will wager against anyone in this forum that Povetkin will put Wilder to sleep within 8 rounds.

BTW - Klitschko dispatched Povetkin a few years ago with ease and now Povetkin had been knocking guys out on a regular basis. That just goes to show you how great Wlad is so don't even bring the fraud Wilder into the talk.

3. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

The "Black hype" continues?
    I'm guessing white boxers and latin boxers never get hyped or overhyped? :confused:

4. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I'm still not sold on Wilder and since it seems Fury will fight Wlad Klitschko,
    I'd like to see Wilder take on Anthony Joshua and see who the real WBC Heavyweight champ is. Or have Joshua fight Molina as well and then get Wilder next.

I think I'd go with Joshua over Wilder.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

What do you mean by 'black'?

6. generalthade_03

Of course we have white hypes as well as others. What I'm implying is that we haven't had an American black heavy champion for quite a while and that is why you're seeing the hype on Wilder now. Don't get me wrong, Wilder is a nice guy and the story about him fighting for his daughter is touching. I'm just talking strictly about boxing which you know a lot of. You and I came to the same conclusion that Wilder has some serious flaws as a heavy champion, he will be exposed when he's stepping up to another level of fighters such as Wlad, Povetkin, Joshua.....

7. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

OP, are you also going to make a Gennady "GGG" Golovkin thread in the future? :)

8. KingCheetah

No, he's not black.

9. KingCheetah

WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder's next fight could be in Alabama

Deontay Wilder could make his second voluntary defense of his WBC heavyweight championship in Alabama.

Jay Deas, his trainer and manager, said that he understands the location for the Sept. 26 fight, to be televised on NBC, is down to two places – somewhere on the West Coast or in Alabama.

"There's been talk of two or three venues (in Alabama)," Deas said. "I assume they would be Bartow or (Legacy Arena at) the BJCC. I don't know if the other one would be in Huntsville or Mobile or what. My best guess would be Birmingham. We're working that out and we're working out the opponent as well."

Deas didn't want to speculate on the opponent because he didn't want to be wrong, but it has to be someone in the WBC top 15.

"Once you start in the top 15, some guys are obligated (to other fights), some guys want too much money, some guys are hurt and some guys just fought," Deas said. "Right off the bat, you can whittle it down to five guys and you start to see what the best fight and best possibility would be."

Deas said Las Vegas was eliminated as a possibility after Floyd Mayweather's fight was announced for the MGM Grand on Sept. 12. He said the "high rollers who fly in and pay for everything" probably wouldn't be up for going there and back in two weeks.

"Two major fights within a week and a half of each other was probably a little much, being as how we're with the same management as Mayweather and their preferred venue is the MGM Grand," Deas said. "One venue hosting two big fights within two weeks is a bit much. Vegas kind of dropped out of the picture and everybody else jumped in."

Deas said that, as of Friday morning, there were five or six location possibilities but now it was down to two. He believed that Los Angeles was the preferred West Coast venue.

But if Wilder can fight in Alabama again, it's certainly what he wants to do.

"Deontay want Alabama to be his home base and he wants to make a mark here in his home state and do things that haven't been done before," Deas said. If the opportunity presents itself for a September 26th fight, then we are 100 percent on board."

One opponent candidate could be 34-year-old Johann Duhaupas, currently ranked No. 12 in the WBC rankings. The Frenchman is 32-2 with 20 knockouts, but last fought on April 10.

Negotiations for the mandatory challenge against Alexander Povetkin will begin in October.

link

10. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I still don't recognize the name of his next opponent.

11. KingCheetah

TKO but Wilder needs to be better if he fights one of the big dogs.

12. Panda23

Panda23 Member

He loses pretty handily to any of Wlad/Povektin/Fury right now. Was pretty unimpressive tonight, but his opponent had diamonds in his chin

13. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Man I could not believe that guy did not go down. I was getting scared for the guy.

14. SwoLy-D

A black panther is actually a dark <s>Cheetah</s> leopard. :cool:

15. generalthade_03

The biggest hype job ever. His defense is a total joke. Povetkin will clean his clock if they fight for the mandatory. Deontay will duck him as long as he could....but America needs a black hope I guess.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Good god, racist much? What year is this? You think Jack Johnson will be able to get past Jim Jefferies or does he have a soft middle like other colored fighters?

Shut up.

1 person likes this.
  17. SwoLy-D

:eek: SamFisher, he did it again:
    I brought up his open stance in the first page.

18. generalthade_03

What's matter? You don't like the word " black hype " . Ease up on calling people racist son.
    Btw. Go back to the D&D with your r****ded left wing drivels and leave this place for real men who know a thing or two about the sweet science.

19. generalthade_03

You and I and anyone who knows boxing saw it.

20. KingCheetah

He's not good enough to go with his current Roy Jones Jr. stance -- he needs to get his left above his hip and keep both his gloves high. He's fought too much now to still need to understand these things -- we'll see how he does against top competition soon.