1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Boston Herald: Celts take a double dip: Yao, Rockets add insult to injury

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by olliez, Jan 15, 2004.

1. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

Stone me if this has been posted
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[​IMG]

Celts take a double dip: Yao, Rockets add insult to injury
    By Mark Murphy
    Thursday, January 15, 2004

Blame it on the yin and yang of the NBA.

One night the Celtics can shut down Yao Ming, the next they crumble in his path.

They shoot 47 percent on the homecourt of the stingiest team in the NBA, and then return to the FleetCenter and throw bricks off the side of a barn.

One day they're over .500, three days later they're back under (20-21). Patient offense and ball movement on Sunday, hurried jump shots on Wednesday - with three scoreless final quarters and the lowest-scoring game in four years from Paul Pierce [news] to boot.

Yes, karma took a vicious turn on the Celtics during their 95-80 loss to the Rockets last night.

Worse still, perhaps, is the X-ray that will be taken today of Pierce's left (non-shooting) hand. He hurt the index and ring fingers on the hand while diving for a loose ball during Tuesday's loss in Milwaukee, and the hand swelled up yesterday. By the end of the fourth quarter last night, it was covered by a huge ice pack.

Just exactly how tough is it to play with a throbbing non-shooting hand?

``I kind of knew something was up when I threw a pass to him, and he couldn't catch the ball,'' said Celtics center Mark Blount [news]. ``He dropped it, and tried to slap it to someone.''

Pierce, kept away from the ball to the same degree the Celtics shackled Yao on Sunday, finished with four points - all in the first quarter - on 1-for-10 shooting. He last scored only four points on Jan. 22, 2000, in Charlotte, where he left the game with a sprained ankle. The last time he scored only four points without an injury involved was on April 4, 1999, against the Nets.

But this wasn't simply a matter of the Celtics losing their leader's ability to produce.

Yao immediately reclaimed the paint. He finished with 21 points on 10-for-14 shooting, grabbed 15 rebounds, blocked four shots and altered countless others.

The 7-foot-6 center did the brunt of his damage early, with a 19-point first half that Cuttino Mobley would cement late with a 12-point fourth quarter.

The Celtics, who trailed by as many as 19 points with 7:21 left in the game, simply had too far to climb back.

Mobley, whose trey created the 19-point lead at 80-61, buried 15 of his 24 points from downtown on 5-of-9 3-point shooting.

For a Celtics team that shot a collective 50 percent (11-of-22) from 3-point range Sunday night in Houston, the Rockets' deep marksmanship had a familiar ring. With Mobley leading the way, the Rockets responded with an identical 3-point performance - 11-of-22 for 50 percent - last night.

But the Rockets also shot 50 percent from the floor overall.

For a Celtics team that lives and dies with its defense, the numbers weren't encouraging.

``It was a difficult matchup,'' said Pierce. ``We just didn't do a good job of sagging in on them. They've got great perimeter shooters, along with a guy (Yao) who's got a great (inside) game, and they did a great job of getting the ball to him.''

Indeed, according to Celtics coach Jim O'Brien [news], the fact that normal starter Kelvin Cato missed the game with a sprained left foot actually worked against the Celtics.

``It opened the floor for them,'' said O'Brien. ``(Backup power forwards) Scott Padgett and Mo Taylor have to be honored from the top of the circle. When we heard that Cato was not going to be in there, I said, `Darn.' ''

2. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Interesting...

3. olliez

[​IMG]

Is Ricky really diving into JJ's crotch??

:eek:

4. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

It's time to start MoT. It's no longer a hint JVG, other "great" coaches are letting you know. Yao jump shooting and MoT to draw the double out are the key to getting Yao involved.

5. olliez

[​IMG]

Holy Smokey Donkey!!

On court inter*****!!

6. olliez

[​IMG]

The illustrated explanation of head in the arse

7. Matador

Matador Member

I hope JVG heard this.

olliez: what is wrong with you and your captions? get your mind out of the gutter please. :eek:

8. montgo

montgo Contributing Member

definitely a lesson learned from a coach who has nothing to gain or lose from that comment being that he is in the East...now, this does take into account that Boston plays small, so Cato's effectiveness is limited....but being that i am Tivo freak, I have been watching Cato all year in slow mo and the reality is that he cannot guard anyone beyond 5 feet of the basket. In fact, he has terrible skills outside the paint and in fact, is soft and not willing to guard outside the paint. There are numerous times I watch him sag as his man just floats unabated...

I know he is helping, but we do not need 3-4 defenders helping Yao Ming IMHO..Cato or whoever, needs to have the quicks to sag, but get back and against Boston Sunday we did not hav e this...

9. Sane

Sane Member

What gets me is that when JVG was describing his defensive startegy early in the season, he said that all NBA teams now play one guy who has no offense, and his defense takes advantage of that. This would explain Memphis and Dallas losses btw.

However, he plays Kelvin Cato at PF. Cato's doing the bes the can possibly do, but the guy is not a PF, and I firmly believe he can average 10/10/2 on 50% in Philadelphia or Milwaukee for example.

He's done a great job, and I know he loves it here, but I think it's best if both him and the Rockets move on.

However, I don't recommend trading him unless we get a semi-starter type to replace him. Someone in the Nazr Mohammed, Calvin Booth, Jerome James, or Marc Jackson mold. Another option would be, for example, if we get Rasheed, and he can backup the 5 easily.

10. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

I don't think that is a knock on cato per se, it is more of a tribute to Yao and MoT. Padgett to some extent as a specialty player - spot shooter. It really emphasizes the fact the Rox are not spreading the floor offensively and the weak side or zone is really more Cato's man doubling Yao. especially if JVG's "O" is trying to low post Yao with cato in the game.

O' great one, read the Boston paper please. If not, SF, ignore the coach and show the forwards how to spread the floor....

11. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

Cuttino demonstrating (visually) what he did to Paul Pierce last night.

12. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

This is an interesting point. Arguements both ways. Here are the reasons to start Cato at PF. First of all, he is that 'muscle' that everyone wanted at the beginning of the year. Everyone had suggestions, from B.Grant to A. Davis to whoever. I think it is quite safe to say Cato has been just that.
    Second, Cato brings that intensity thats been lacking of some players this year. He plays hard, and tough D. He uses his fouls well in the 28 minutes he plays. Not as many dumb fouls as last year. And NO easy layups! U think Mo or Yao will floor people trying to sneak one in?;)
    Third, Cato is actually finishing around the basket this year. When he gets an offensive rebounds, he will actually go back up and make the layup of dunk! Especially lately. His % has gone up from 37% to 42% in the last couple weeks.
    Fourth, starting MO would leave our bench w/ no scorers at all.

BUT, even with all that said, there are reasons to start Mo as well. First, the reason Cato's % was down to begin w/ is cause he takes that WIDE open 15 footer thats given to him....and he cant make it unfortunately. Mo can.
    Second, Mo(or even Padget) makes Yao's offense better. Evident by the Boston game. And this could be a big reason to start Mo. When Yao starts good, it effects the team as a whole. And when Yao starts good, he boards better, blocks better, runs the floor better, and gets more minutes.
    Third, we NEED quick starts. 2 years ago, Mo was the main reason we got off to quick starts. He would constantly get 8 points in the first frame. Now w/ Mo getting open looks, and Yao able to operate in the paint, we might be able to get our offense rolling. :cool:
    Fourth, and this is another BIG reason. Yao is a little worn out by the 4th quarter sometimes. So i dont know if having Mo in there w/ Yao helps that much by then. I think it would help more if they started together, as Yao is more efficient at the beginning of games.

So what do u do? Offense or Defense? Go for better starts against a weaker bench? Tough one....I am ok either way.....:cool: but if they get off to another slow start against Minnesota(as i shall be at the game), i'll be pissed!:mad:

13. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Padgett is sitting there and supposedly Spoon can score (at least more than Cato)

I like Cato and what he brings. Yao was getting his due to different floor spacing with Padgett and the fact they were not forcing it down low so much, he hit some jumpers off pass outs on the pick and roll. A lot has to do with the spacing and inability to leave the PF on defense.

Maybe Posting Cato instead of Yao and using Yao as a more PF type scorer would help when he and Cato are in the game together. Hopefully, JVG is slowly getting it on "O" and will implement what some of the others are showing him is available.

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I think Taylor coming off the bench is a good idea. I like his offensive spark. I like having Taylor on the floor when Yao is resting because it always gives us one post up option on the low block. And I think our offense runs MUCH more smoothly when we have a post up option. When we dont we look helter skelter.

I think in the LONG RUN we need to get a PF that is a bruiser but also can hit the jump shot, someone like PJ Brown etc. But for now Cato is servicable. And late in the games you will probably see Yao + Taylor.

15. olliez

A dirty mind is a terriable thing to waste !

Cato's improved shooting is the best Rockets can wish for in the new year. I don't know what O'Brian is thinking

:confused:

16. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

someone made a great point.. why not post up Cato and have Yao run the PF plays.

J

that way Yao can get some spot up jump shots and cuts to the basket.

17. sun12

sun12 Member

Now I begin to realize why the Pistons can not score much last season and why Larry Brown wants B. Wallace to be a low post threat.

If one of the starters can not score, no matter how valuable he (B Wallace) is in the other areas, the team's offense will suffer.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Isn't this the Rudy refrain? And didn't Cato just come off one of his best offensive games of the season, tossing out 6 or 7 assists?:confused:

Not to mention his defense & rebounding...

19. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

``It opened the floor for them,'' said O'Brien. ``(Backup power forwards) Scott Padgett and Mo Taylor have to be honored from the top of the circle. When we heard that Cato was not going to be in there, I said, `Darn.' '' [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes indeed it was an interesting comment by O'Brien, the fact to the matter is, base on my assumption during the sundays game against the Celtics, quick rotation on the defense was not there for Cato, that's why the Celtics find a lot of open shots, unlike with Taylor and Padgett on the floor, they can easily go back into defensive end of the floor.And that's why they got torch!!!!:D

20. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

No.

What did cato do against Boston - either time... ;) :p