1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Boston Herald] Celtics sign Eddie House

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by foodworld, Aug 1, 2007.

1. foodworld

foodworld Member

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/celtics/?p=121

August 1st, 2007
    Celts sign Eddie House
    Posted by Mark Murphy at 4:08 pm

The Celtics signed free agent guard Eddie House this afternoon to a one-year deal, apparently solving their need for a veteran backup to point guard Rajon Rondo.

In truth the 6-1 House, who averaged 8.4 points in 56 games for the Nets last year, is more of a shooter than a playmaker, which is indeed part of why Danny Ainge was attracted to him. On the positive side House shot .429 from 3-point range last season, and has indeed sunk the Celtics many times over the years from behind the circle.

On the other, he shot worse (.428) overall last season.

But House is not the only player who figures to fill in behind Rondo this season. Tony Allen, and even Ray Allen, have been discussed as point guard possibilities, in addition to rookie Gabe Pruitt out of USC.

The Celtics also signed Jackie Manuel, a 6-5 wing player who played for Los Angeles in the NBDL last season, and is considered a solid defensive player. He was named the ACC’s defensive player of the year two seasons ago while at North Carolina.

Next up in the free agent market is a big man. PJ Brown, the 37-year-old power forward who is reportedly seeking the full mid-level exception ($5.6 million) for his services, has probably priced himself out of the Celtics’ range.

The team is currently checking into the market for Dikembe Mutombo, who could fill in nicely as a backup behind Kendrick Perkins. Mutombo is currently in Africa, where he is on his annual mission at the head of the NBA’s Basketball Without Borders program.

2. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

Poor Rafer, he's like the David Carr of the NBA, no one wants him..haha.

3. foodworld

foodworld Member

I like this signing more than the idea of the team bringing in Brevin Knight (and certainly more than Rafer! -- no offense guys; you're team is of course awesome despite him :) , because what was needed was a combo-guard who could compensate for Rajan Rondo's shooting woes, not a pure PG.

Thoughts?

4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

pj brown wants the full mle?!

5. Pocket Rockets

wtf, they want mutombo?

they can't sex mutombo!

6. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Eddie House is not a PG. That guy takes chucking to a whole new level.

7. tracyyao01

tracyyao01 Member

Rockets are the only team that want Rafer I believe.

Morey hasn't been forcing a trade.

8. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i'm sure there are plenty of teams that want rafer. i don't know what the rockets are asking for him though.

9. tracyyao01

tracyyao01 Member

The Heat don't want him anymore after signing Smush.

I like Rafer as a player and i think he should stay in a Rocket Uniform.

Hes the only playmaking PG on the Team.

10. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Contributing Member

Smush played better than Rafer last year even though he sucked.

11. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Rafer is > Rondo & House. Rafer is a starting caliber PG, even if a very weak one, the others are not. But House is a better fit than Knight. Knight/Rondo would allow a free man to double on the trio at all times and spoil their hard work.

Rafer at least can hit a 3 OK, along with being safe with the ball, play defense, and get the right players the ball. Rafer would help Boston a lot.

Scalabrine and Tony Allen for Rafer + (rights to Landry + any Rocket min players you want) is the only deal I can think of. Or if you got a TE, Rafer for the Portland 08 second rounder you own.

12. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

House is not a PG. He's a spot up shooter and scorer. 6th man on a bad team type of player.

13. tracyyao01

tracyyao01 Member

Rafer is an underrated PG IMO, he was very restricted by JVG last year.

14. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Posting this same opinion over and over (in multiple threads) unfortunately will not make it more than your opinion that few here share...

15. tracyyao01

tracyyao01 Member

I have no idea who you are, but...

16. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

You mean they could double off of Knight/Rondo the same way teams double off of Chuck Hayes?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

17. Pringles

Pringles Member

y r u post this over and over again? u said that to durvasa too... we had no idea who u r.

18. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

Indiana could use Rafer

19. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Worse ;) at least Hayes is efficient in the shots he takes.

I did feel Hayes and Alston together provided too many offensive weak spots for an elite team in a starting 5. We probably could get by with one out there a lot, just not both. Further, Hayes is only a part timer whether he starts or not, and we have James/Francis/Brooks already improving on the scoring potency/efficiency from the PG spot.

But neither Hayes nor Alston alone is as bad as made out. And on the topic a hand, Rafer is a lot better than Boston's realistic options I can think of.

20. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

i've always liked Eddie House, he isn't exactly the best PG out there but this is a decent pick up for the Celtics considering what they have now.