1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Boston Hearld]No good fit on a Glove trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yaowaming, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Yaowaming

Yaowaming Contributing Member

http://celtics.bostonherald.com/celtics/view.bg?articleid=60854

No good fit on a Glove trade
    By Steve Bulpett
    Wednesday, December 29, 2004

DALLAS - The Mavericks have a lot of respect for Gary Payton and his game, but that doesn't mean there's much of a chance he'll be playing for last night's home team any time soon.

Though trade speculation in that vein has made it into print, it's notable that Payton's name hadn't come up much around the Mavs until yesterday (and there hasn't been any talk with the Celtics about him). But even if the club realizes how much he would benefit its point guard situation, there is a major obstacle in the way of getting something done: The Celts don't really want anything Dallas would be willing to give up.

Unless the Mavs were interested in parting with Dirk Nowitzki, Josh Howard, Marquis Daniels or Devin Harris - and they're not - the Celts most likely wouldn't listen.

Payton does appear to have his share of fans in Dallas, though.

``I love Gary Payton,'' Mavs coach Don Nelson said before watching Payton total six points and nine assists in the Celtics' 113-94 loss last night. ``I've been a big fan of his, and I only coached him one time - in an All-Star Game (2002). He was brilliant in that game, and I told him. I said, `I didn't know you were that good.' But he is that good, and he has been for many years.''

Avery Johnson, who hung up his point guard sneakers to join the Dallas coaching staff, likes what Payton is doing.

``I love it when those old guys get out there, and Gary right now is not looking too old from what I'm seeing,'' Johnson said. ``He's still a major threat. He's still a guy that you lose sleep over. He can still go coast to coast. He's really playing well right now. It looks like he's found the fountain of youth.

``I know he's glad to be out of the (Lakers') triangle offense, so I think that Rivers has put an offense out there that's more suited for Gary's skill level. A lot of it is mental. If you're mentally into it and you're on the same page with your head coach, it makes things easier.''

It seemed to many that Payton could be successful in Houston, but the Rockets never made an attempt for him before acquiring former Celt David Wesley from New Orleans Monday.

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Source, please.

3. Yaowaming

Yaowaming Contributing Member

You should ask Boston Hearld about the source.

4. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

I would have thought him even less effective this year, but he's still dishing out 6.5 APG w/ almost 13 PPG on 47.5 %.

Nice, but how much does that cost and for how long?

5. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

He is on the last year of his contract. I would think, the reason Houston is not interested, is probably JVG will probably clash with his personality. But, that is just a guess on my part.

6. superden

superden Contributing Member

jvg seems to clash with everyone...

7. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

including himself.

8. franchise23

franchise23 Contributing Member

sadly true. i doubt GP wants to come here anyway after seeing how bad a mess our team is right now.

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The Herald added this quote? It seemed to many that Payton could be successful in Houston, but the Rockets never made an attempt for him before acquiring former Celt David Wesley from New Orleans Monday.

10. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Yes, its the last paragraph of the article. Click the link