1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Boston Celtics offseason

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BigMaloe, May 8, 2017.

1. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Don't forget Boston constructed this year's team around IT, and Cousins hated playing with IT in Sacramento. In order to get him, they would probably have to get rid of IT. Also Cousins is unpredictable. I guess those were some reasons against the trade.

2. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

They can upgrade guys like Bradley and Crowder with guys like George, Butler, or Hayward either through trade or signing in free agency out right. With even more picks on the way and Lebron getting older, this team will dominate the East soon. Masterful rebuild so far.

da_juice likes this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Playing in the Eastern Conference Finals AND number one pick. Damn!

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Completely off-topic, but ... the first one's name is Larry. His brothers are named Darryl. Great show. :D

5. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

But what's the odds of them using the #1 pick this year?

Will they really draft fultz with IT being phenomenal and having smart Avery and Rozier?

I expect some serious roster shaking up for Boston.

Maybe they go Jackson instead but with jaylen and crowder already is that the logical choice rather than acquiring one of either Butler or George?

I think we should target some of their role players.

malakas likes this.
  6. split41

split41 Member

Number 1 pick, Number 1 seed, so many picks still coming. Ainge is killing it!

Yung-T and BigMaloe like this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

boston gets the nets pick next year too? wow lol. what a dumb organization the nets are

8. Lightsnowaction

Celtics best bet at a superstar is trading their pick to the Bulls or Pacers. Looking at their cap, they can either draft the #1 pick and add Hayward or trade for George or Butler and have about $25M+ cap. They are set up great and will pick a side after seeing how they match up with the Cavs this year.

9. dmoneybangbang

That's tough. Win now or try and win while building for the future.... seems the latter is more wrought with pitfalls. I think they could trade the 1st pick for PG or Butler without giving up too much; that is trade some duplicitous wing/combo forward players, some salary they want to get off the books, and the # 1 pick.

If it was me, I would go all in for PG. You run with a IT, PG, and Horford core for the next few seasons while James and the Cavs get older. PG is young enough that you may have one last run with him as a center or more likely a secondary piece once IT and Horford's contract run their course.

10. dmoneybangbang

Well they pay IT though?

IT, Hayward, and Horford ain't too shabby either, but I think PG is better.

11. malakas

malakas Member

IMO They will draft Fultz and trade Smart and Bradley.
    There isn't even enough playing time for so many guards especially considering that Smart, Bradley and IT all are in contract years next season.

Yung-T and BigMaloe like this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

Trade them for what? Seriously asking.

13. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Yeah in all honesty if ainge doesn't get what he wants this is what I see as well. He won't overpay, at all, and that's only if he wants to make the trade.

Marcus smart would carry really good value, especially for a rebuilding team looking to take a chance on potential.

Avery carries good value, especially with contenders looking to add solid vets.

They would essentially be trading avery/smart for fultz and 1st rd picks

Another factor to consider, and Bill Simmons has eluded to, is what will happen with IT? Will they pay him? Simmons predicted that he gets traded and that was shocking at first but understandable.

malakas likes this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Doesn't matter if they use it or not. They have it at their disposal.

Draft a PG (IT has a year left on his deal) or use for an established star.

BigMaloe likes this.
  15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

What a goldmine the Celtics were granted. You'd think Billy King had been working for Boston rather than for the Nets. Gave away the draft pick that became Damian Lillard for Gerald Wallace. Acquired the corpses of Garnett and Pierce for......the #1 pick in a loaded draft.

The hits keep on coming. Or is this the end of the disaster that King wrought?

Kudos to Ainge, though.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

nope. boston gets their first round pick next year and the nets are still going to suck

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Good God.

I hope Billy King went into witness protection.

18. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Her's my two cents:

Keep building and do not pursue the false god of Win Now. You have worked so hard since the Big 3 left to get here, so don't piss off the basketball gods by thinking you are one Paul George away from taking on LeBron and the Cavs. Be honest with yourself, LeBron's reign in the East is only a matter of time perhaps another 2 years at his peak. Plan your dynasty for after LeBron.

Also, Isiah Thomas is a wonderful little spark plug that ignited your whole team into the top seed. He has heart and a lot of guts. Keep him around, but don't fool yourself into thinking he is the answer to your salvation. Don't lock him up into $200 million contract like he is Stephen Curry. Speaking of which, your championship aspirations should be to contend with the Warriors over the next decade. So, build a team around that. You have the pieces and a lot of young draft picks along with the first overall pick to get there. Take your time and build a true dynasty.

19. lionaire

lionaire Member

If they plan on moving Jae Crowder we need to get in the mix.

20. Vivi

Vivi Member

I like this, even though, they just paid Horford who's not exactly a young dude...but eh, i still like your points, and might actually be what Ainge is thinking and the reason why he didn't pull the trigger on George or Butler at the deadline.

ghettocheeze likes this.