1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bosh needs a reason to stay in Toronto

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by abc2007, Apr 15, 2010.

1. abc2007

abc2007 Member

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=2912141
    Bosh needs a reason to stay in Toronto
    Bruce Arthur, National Post

Maybe Chris Bosh wasn't as canny this season as we thought he was; perhaps his mastery of the season-long game of poker he played with the NBA had more to do with the fact that he couldn't see his cards. Maybe, as he puts it, "Nobody knows. Not even me."

But the five-time all-star has a reasonable idea of what he wants, and so soon we will find out what Chris Bosh is going to do as a free agent, and what the Toronto Raptors are going to do, and whether their seven-year marriage is coming to an end sometime after July 1.

And yesterday, after his team had missed the playoffs while he sat courtside with a fractured face, Bosh gave what may have been his valedictory news conference in Toronto. What will he do? He doesn't know. What does he want? He wants to win.

"Yeah, that's what it comes down at the end of the day," says Bosh, 26. "I just want to win basketball games. I want to play in the post-season. I want to advance. I've been playing seven years. It's time to start thinking about stuff like that for me, because I don't know how many years I have left.

"I have to start thinking like that. I know I'm still a young player, but I remember when I got drafted guys were 25, 26, and now they're on their last deals. I want to win basketball games."

It sounds a lot like the dance Roy Halladay was doing last season, and the parallels may not end there. They are similarly methodical thinkers, and they have won the same number of playoff series. And it seems likely that like Halladay, Bosh will have to change that someplace else.

And while he offered no certainties on Thursday, Bosh did lay out some general parameters.

Would he have to be a No. 1 option? Not necessarily. To re-sign here, would there need to be roster changes? "I think there has to be changes," he said, "only because we didn't make the playoffs. It's not like we're building off success."

How about an all-star-calibre perimeter player who can create, unlike the mediocre parade of Mike James, Morris Peterson, Jalen Rose, T.J. Ford, Jose Calderon, Anthony Parker, Jarrett Jack and DeMar DeRozan that has rolled through here over the past five years?

"You're going to have to have someone who can really create their own," Bosh said. "Like you said, be an all-star. When you look at every good team, that's what they have."

Well, what about an organization willing to spend into the NBA's punitive luxury tax, where every dollar spent costs you three?

"You have to," said Bosh. "That's something that I only really started thinking about this year. As I've gotten older, I've looked at other teams and their success and how they do their business. And you have to."

When asked if Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment would do so, he replied, quite reasonably, "I'm not sure. I'm not sure."

And of course, the big question. When Bosh signed this contract, general manager Bryan Colangelo essentially told him that Colangelo had built a good reputation in this league, and didn't intend to screw that up. This time, Colangelo would need to re-convince Bosh all over again. After two years out of the playoffs, does Bosh trust Colangelo to build a contender around him?

"I mean, that's the question that has to be answered this summer," Bosh said. "I think that's a big part of it ... if I still believe in him, yeah."

So big spending, roster alterations, an all-star running mate - it's hard to imagine what Colangelo could plausibly promise, or accomplish, to make Bosh believe this remains the place to be. As Bosh himself put it, "It's not going to happen in a year most of the time. Sometimes it does in unique situations. But most of the times it's not going to happen in one year or one month."

And that's the time frame we're dealing with, now. Which opens the door to a partnership in Miami with Dwyane Wade, or in Chicago with Derrick Rose, or in New York with some other member of the constellation-like free agent class of 2010.

Of course, we still don't know just how much the organization still believes in Bosh, who faded down the stretch. Some ascribed that dwindling to the ankle injury he suffered after the all-star break, which several sources believe was actually yet another injury to his knee. Others blamed the pernicious influence of outsiders who allegedly convinced Bosh to preserve his health at the expense of his hard-driving game, which Bosh denies.

"No, nothing went on," he said. "I twisted my ankle when I got back. I had a decent season. I struggled after an injury. That's plain and simple."

In some corners of the organization, meanwhile, there are not only worries about a New York-based girlfriend, but about Bosh himself.

"Let's say we do sign Chris," said one team source. "But is Chris going to be the same guy? Or are we going to get the Chris that's shooting 18-foot jump shots?"

Either way, Bosh will get paid max money here or elsewhere, providing a sign-and-trade can be worked out; he says that regardless of how negotiations go with Toronto, "no matter what happens, me and Bryan agreed to work together."

Nobody knows, no, but the betting here is a divorce. An amicable divorce, sure, but a divorce all the same. Maybe it's poetic that in his last game as the face of the franchise, that face was fractured. After all, it feels like a breakup is on the way.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Bosh is injury prone.

He's prone to facial injuries. Fractured face. Yikes/. His face is weak since childhood. Tragic accidnt.

When he fell off the ugly tree.

3. sbyang

sbyang Member

How about 30 million reasons. He can make 30 mil more in Toronto than elsewhere.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

SnT takes care of that.

5. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Not really.
    This 30mil figure comes from comparing a six year deal based on bird right to a 5 year deal from another team... which is not fair. Bosh will be 31 years old at the end of say 5 year contract, if he can still play at a high level, hes likely to get another big contract (look at guys like kg, ray allen, paul pierce, etc). Then you compare the total earning during a six year span, the difference is more likely under 10 million dollars than 30 million.

6. redao

redao Member

He should play with Wade. That's the only wise choice for him.

7. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Bosh has to prove he can lead a team to success before getting a big contract at an older age. How many 31 year olds get big contracts without winning?

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

There is a new CBA on the way. Many people think a lockout is coming in 2011 and max contracts after this summer won't resemble the bloated crazy money given away in the past. This contract will likely be the most lucrative Bosh ever signs, by far.

9. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Ugly tree? Stay classy buddy :rolleyes:

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

haha too funny.

11. Lovemachine2000

Don't mind Carl, he evaluates every NBA player based on their attractiveness and gayness. It's a mental illness really.

12. HOUSTONROCKETS5

If bosh thinks Colangelo is good ...

[​IMG]

he hasn't met this guy ^

13. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

hilarious, the guy is damn ugly, not sure what im lookin at when i see his face...a bird maybe or dinosaur or rupaul

14. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Bosh was born March 1984 so he cant be 31. :p

15. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Ariza+Jeffries+Hill+ 2012 first round pick for Bosh. Try to low-ball them, keep our lotto pick this year and we are set.

Pick up Marcus Camby with the MLE and then grab a perimeter option with the #14 pick (If we were picking perimeter here I would grab Eric Bledsoe) Brooks then gets a few extra minutes at SG

Yao/Camby/Hayes
    Bosh/Scola/Hayes
    Battier/Budinger
    Martin/Brooks/Taylor
    Brooks/Lowry/Bledsoe

16. sbyang

sbyang Member

So this means no New York teams, right Chris Bosh?

17. Mr. Space City

bosh should go to the nets, then the nets should draft evan turner.

devin harris
    evan turner
    terrance williams
    chris bosh
    brook lopez

:cool:

18. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush. That extra guaranteed year is a sweet insurance policy against a bad injury.

19. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Another article on Bosh: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5095751

Interesting quote:

This seems to indicate that he's likely to go through S&T rather than free agency since he'll be working "together" with Colangelo. Bosh keeps saying he wants/deserves a max contract, and the max he can get it with the Raptors or via S&T.

20. devilsdandruff

Bosh needs to stay in Toronto because he looks like a Raptor.