1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bored Quarterback Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Will, Jan 11, 2019.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You mean, when we got rid of Dwight Backward, and replaced him with Clint Gazella.

Patience and AroundTheWorld like this.
  2. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I think we're seeing this more and more across the league. The best players across the league seem to be playing with an eye towards stat collecting - I see this often with Russ who will give up an open layup in hopes of an assist or will jockey with his own teammates for rebounds, Lebron who will hold the ball until a guy can basically guarantee an assist for him and crashes the boards the same way, etc.

It is amazing seeing Harden playing at the level he is and it is tough to complain too much given what he's doing. But I am worried about the long run - in the playoffs he has been the most effective taking the ball to the basket, not taking step back 3s. Sometimes he opts for the step back even when he is being over played and can easily get to the basket if he tried. Attempting 10+ 3s a game is now standard fare. I'm hoping that CP3's return helps tame some of these habits - Paul is the only one who carries the credibility to manage the ball and become the primary ball handler when James is on the court. However much he has fallen off, we will need him desperately in the playoffs and hopefully a more prudent James who looks for the right shot and not the splash play.

3. Zergling

Zergling Member

Even on alley oops there are times where he throws it up to Capela with a very low % of a catch and conversion.

Hey, if he's bored, he should ask to post-up more and work on his moves there. I still think mastering the mid-range/post-up game is what will be needed to take his game to the next (and last) level.

4. Zergling

Zergling Member

Maybe another reason he throws them so often is so he doesn't have to run to that side of the court. It's an indirect way of resting. I don't like it but the extra rest is obviously worth it when it counts.

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

THIS. When the playoffs come and the defense drops the big, we can't keep "forcing the pass to Capela" in tight quarters. The FLOATER has to be weaponized. Unlock the entire court for Harden.

Richie_Rich and AroundTheWorld like this.
  6. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I could be mistaken then. I thought the full court pass was an MDA focal point.

7. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Will - leave your insecurities at the door. The man isn’t bored. He’s simply better than everyone else.

D-rock likes this.
  8. BeBreezy

BeBreezy Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this! I think Harden has been practicing very tough passes with both Capela and Austin Rivers. Some of the passes that he throws to Rivers look like they're nearly impossible to catch, but Rivers has been managing to catch them with relative ease.

9. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Just another Harden assist........

BamBam likes this.
  10. Mr. Space City

james harden is the best offensive player in football.

TracywtFacy, juanm34 and hakeem94 like this.
  11. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

I’m going to go against the grain here and say that Harden, much like a great boxer is testing the defense to setup something later. When Harden throws these full court passes he’s making sure that the defense knows that they can’t rest. Great boxers setup knockout punches with a “throw away punch”, this is a punch that they throw knowing it’s not going to land but distracts the opponent from seeing what he is trying to setup.

When Harden throws these long passes he is forcing the defense to sprint back every time and even though he is “throwing away” several possessions per game, the net result is that the defense can no longer press, trap, or double Harden anymore because they have seen Harden is willing to throw it down the court and setup Capela.

I agree with Will that Harden is toying with defenders and that at times he gets careless with the ball but I truly believe the Rockets data wizards have crunched the numbers and that the full court pass is a strategical inclusion to Hardens game.

xaos, Deuce, D-rock and 5 others like this.
  12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Anyone remember Dan Pastorini?

[​IMG]

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Capela finished one last night that was low key incredibly athletic. He went UP and caught the ball in traffic and in one motion took two steps and finished it. The pass was great, but to be coordinated enough to do all that at his size... the Capela piece of the puzzle was more impressive to me on that one.

D-rock, Richie_Rich, Patience and 3 others like this.
  14. topfive

topfive CF OG

Putting Harden in charge of your offense is like hiring Picasso to paint your family portrait.

Most of the time, the results will be glorious, but there's always the risk your daughter will have a foot coming out of her head.

Deuce, D-rock, Richie_Rich and 9 others like this.
  15. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

This is my new favorite ClutchFans post.

16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

17. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

We have a bored quarterback, so step back!

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Didn’t this guy make a thread called “I like marquese criss”?

19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think MDA once said that Harden was guilty of that. If he just cuts that in half during the playoffs he'll be okay. It is a problem, but I'm not super worried about it.

20. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Just for that, the wall around my Marquese Chriss ShrineTM got 10 feet higher.

topfive and harold bingo like this.