1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Bored Quarterback Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Will, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

James Harden has the cross-over, the blow-by, the pull-up, the step-back, the no-look, the wrap-around, and the lob. He's the greatest scorer in the league, and he knows it. I think he's getting bored.

I'm not saying he isn't motivated. He practices hard and plays hard. But he's gotten so good at so many things, and he's become so unguardable, that I think he's itching to try something new.

So here's what he's been doing a lot lately: throwing long balls to Clint Capela in traffic. I'm not talking about drive-and-lobs or alley-oops off screens. I'm talking about tossing a ball into the lane, often from a considerable distance, and seeing if Capela can go up and get it.

Some of these passes are spectacular. Many result in layups or dunks, at least when we're playing teams like the Cavs. But I've seen a lot of them go awry, and not because the defense was amazing. Often, against better teams, Capela is just not that open, at least not when Harden feels like trying a full-court heave or a lob to the lane from the top of the key. It's like watching a quarterback throw to a well-covered receiver. You're going to get deflected or picked.

Have any of you been watching the same thing? Am I the only one who's concerned? It just doesn't look to me like Harden is prudently assessing these situations. He seems determined to throw that ball for the beauty of it and see if he can connect. And while I love watching beautiful basketball, I'd rather watch him hoist a trophy.

2. topfive

topfive CF OG

Those questionable passes irritate me -- unless they work, in which case I'm thrilled with the decision. :D

But let's be realistic: Even when they result in turnovers, Harden makes up for them at some point.

My big wish is that he could learn to dial it in a bit during the playoffs, but he seems to be just as daring a passer then.

3. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

He did this 2 years ago and I think sometimes he tries to do this so it’s less work on him on having to start up the offense at half court. I also think when Chris is back, he’ll get him to stop which he didn’t do much of that last year

BTW the biggest lob pass to Clint was when we were down 6 with a minute and it connected with an and1

Smacktle, D-rock, robgue and 6 others like this.
  4. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I was commenting the exact same thing to my son while we were watching the game! He’s trying to entertain himself by making the difficult plays more often, instead of the more practical ones! I don’t mind in a blowout against an inferior team if he wants to do this, but he needs to be held accountable against the better teams in the league.

Go Rockets!!!

5. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

It's the same concern with the between the legs of the defender passes

He is supreme offensively but a few times a game bites off more than he can chew on a pass.

Tfor3 and saleem like this.
  6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

All I know is Capela is the DeAndre Hopkins of the NBA. His hands are glue.

cbass, Smacktle, Blurr#7 and 13 others like this.
  7. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

1 superstar harden with stubborn coach desperately need an aggressive innovative creative harden

#7 vlaurelio, Jan 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  8. bongman

bongman Member

I believe that there was a time when his step back 3 was also cringe worthy especially during crunch time. But he has been doing this with great efficiency that we're now more comfortable with him taking these shots. If you agree with that, at what efficiency rate would be fair for us to consider these type of plays as acceptable risk?

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It bugs me but if it keeps him engaged.....he is just on an entirely different level than most NBA players.

He is in ALL TIME GREAT land.

DD

10. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I’d be interested to know the exact conversion rate on those passes. Just my gut feeling I think overall we have benefited from them statistically, but I would also guess it’s probably not a huge net positive,

11. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

And who is your NFL equivalent of... Omer Asik...?

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

13. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

I blame the coaching staff for allowing him to do this **** continuously, MDA needs to be called out

saleem likes this.
  14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Tom brady

napalm06 likes this.
  15. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

I think those lobs have the intangible value of making the defense run back that much harder and look over their shoulders more.

Jim knows what he is doing.

#15 TracywtFacy, Jan 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Smacktle, cbass, KDavis and 7 others like this.
  16. theimpossibles1

James is not 'entertaining himself.'

He is practicing. Adding yet another weapon to his massive arsenal. Practicing it in carefully selected games/situations so he can use it more effectively in big games later.

Smacktle, cbass, KDavis and 10 others like this.
  17. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

I’m okay with it. It rarely seems to go awry in my opinion.

Smacktle and D-rock like this.
  18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Harden is a lazy passer sometimes but I noticed last season that he was less so when Paul was on the floor. The velocity on Harden's passes could use a bit more oomph.

19. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

William Perry

Smacktle likes this.
  20. Nivos

Nivos Member

Harden and LeBron led the league in those full court passes for the past few years, it's not new.
    I get annoyed when it results in a turnover but it keep the defense on their toes. Knowing they can't chill for a second it creates the effect of transition offense without running. Kind of genius if you ask me.