1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bold prediction: CP3 will be traded by the deadline.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jacoby, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Vivi

Vivi Member

But who would you trade for with them? I mean, i like Holiday but they won't swap him with Chris imo, some other guys are ok (Mirotic, Randle, Moore, Payton) but i don't know, i just don't see a Paul traded there for various reason...

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yep, that's the crux of our problem.

We need to keep CP3 and add another at least fringe all-star player without gutting our team.

I'm sure Capela would get us that player...but then that would basically destroy our team too...this is why I've been saying weeks ago...this team needs a high draft pick.

If Morey gets them out of this situation he'll truly be a magician.

3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Yes we would just to dump his albatross deal and save Hardens prime

DrNuegebauer likes this.
  4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Well they have a lot of options...

Klay Thompson, Jimmy Butler, Kemba, then Durant and KAwhi...

I think any of those guys are better than the option of gutting their team for CP3.

I think Lebron would do it, sure. But I don't think the Lakers FO will do it, they have been selling to their fans that 2019-20 is going to be their time and that the 2019 FA season is their season.

Magic said that this past Summer (Lebron) and Next Summer, if he doesn't sign stars he'll step down...so they have put so much stock into these FA classes the only thing I think that could make them ignore it is if AD became available this deadline...which I can't see happening.

5. matthappy

matthappy Member

we are cursed!
    cp3 will never remain at all star level

6. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

This is sadly true.
    Take back anything we can get at all, just to break the salary into smaller pieces, and then tank the rest of this season.

Let the younger guys play the rest of the way and see what value Morey can get for them.

Start over with Harden Capela and hopefully a top 5 pick and whatever assetd the 'tank and play pieces' strategy unfolded.

chievous minniefield likes this.
  7. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

If Lebron wants him we could potentially flip Paul for KCP Rondo Lonzo (yikes) and a min filler. Maybe re route Lonzo to a 3rd team?

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'd take Mirotic, Moore, W.Johnson and Payton for Paul and Melo

That would put us in a great spot financially, and the depth would help us carry this season out in a respectable manner.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

It could be Phoenix. The hope would be that the Suns medical staff could extend CP3 career as well as they managed to extend Steve Nash's career. It would have to be done in the offseason and we would likely have to take back Ryan Anderson contract in return. On the bright side is that Ryan Anderson's contract would be an expiring contract.

10. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

CP3 is fine just like Harden but the role players just haven't stepped up IMO

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

after playing a big part in the 2015 finals for Tristan, and after winning a championship for JR...no, I don’t think he’ll throw away his future with the Lakers by adding CP3’s contract when the Lakers have max cap space

and again, Lebron does not have the power in LA that he had in Cleveland...

12. sogood.

sogood. Member

This ain't like the Cavs where LeBron was holding them hostage every single year by signing 1 year deals. Lakers got him for 4. He'll have his say but nowhere near what he had with the Cavs. I don't see them trading for a clearly declining CP3 and ruining their cap space.

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I hope something is figured out. Because right now it looks like it could end tragically. I feel bad for Harden for the sole point of his chances of winning a championship are appearing very dim.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is not so bold right now.

jacoby likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Hammy still acting up.

16. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

No one wants CP3 on his first year of a 4 year deal for 40mil/year. We'd have to ship our 1st rounders to get him traded.

God damn Morey, to think he didnt learn from the Ryan Anderson contract that basically killed our title chances. He goes and overpays both CP3 and Capela. What a dumbass. I don't blame anyone for mocking him for such a stupid mistake and his dumb analytics approach that haven't gotten a single finals appearance in over a decade.

17. Dash

Dash Member

I would take Holiday and Mirotic in a heart beat for him

matchesmalone likes this.
  18. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

That Chris Paul contract is an albatross you’re not going to shake easily. It’s one of the worst decisions Morey ever made and it cripples them financially. This team isn’t going far as is, imagine it 3 years from now when Chris is even more broken down? It’s going to make Ryan Anderson look like a bargain. The ONLY way that contract makes sense is if it buys you a championship. Morey needs to find someone as desperate as he was for that missing piece, but that’s going to be nearly impossible to do I’m afraid.

19. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Maybe we could get Bev, Harrell and Lou Williams for him... if they are desperate maybe they’ll throw in a young player and a draft pick.

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

When you get older , sometimes it's best to shed some weight and play lighter so you can have a bit not pep to your step. It's likely time for Paul to embrace that.