1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Bohemian Rhapsody] Queen Biopic Starring Rami Malek as Freddie Mercury

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by moestavern19, Jul 16, 2017.

1. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

[​IMG]

Glad to hear this is finally happening, but I'm still a little disappointed that we won't see SBC as Freddie, although who knows how that would have worked out since he's more of a comedic method actor. I think Rami Malek will do a great job.

Caesar and TheFreak like this.
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Why did SBH leave, what was the rumor?

3. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

Sacha Baron Cohen has revealed he walked away from a high-profile role as Freddie Mercury because the surviving members of Queen wanted a substantial part of the film to focus on them.

Speaking to the US radio host Howard Stern, Baron Cohen said he hoped to present a “warts ‘n’ all” view of the legendary singer’s hedonistic lifestyle, but Mercury’s former bandmates were more concerned with protecting their legacy.

The comedian and actor said: “A member of the band – I won’t say who – said: ‘You know, this is such a great movie because it’s got such an amazing thing that happens in the middle.’”

“And I go: ‘What happens in the middle of the movie?’ He goes: ‘You know, Freddie dies.’ ... I go: ‘What happens in the second half of the movie?’ He goes: ‘We see how the band carries on from strength to strength.’

“I said: ‘Listen, not one person is going to see a movie where the lead character dies from Aids and then you see how the band carries on.’

“There are amazing stories about Freddie Mercury. The guy was wild. There are stories of little people walking around parties with plates of cocaine on their heads!”

But according to Baron Cohen, who is in the US to promote his new film, Grimsby, Queen’s surviving members did not want those stories told: “They wanted to protect their legacy as a band.”

Yung-T likes this.
  4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I know there were some creative differences. You have to remember that Brian May and the rest of the band are heavily involved in this. He dropped out back in 2012ish after the project stalled again. They found somebody else, same thing happened. Now apparently it is green-lit with Malek as the lead.

Caesar likes this.
  5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I love the idea of a Freddie/Queen movie but Sacha didn't make it sound all that promising. I don't need another queen documentary, hopefully they've lightened up some.

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

LOL @ the idea of FM dying wrapping up the first HALF of a Queen movie. Good lord.

B-Bob, Yaosthirdleg, BigM and 2 others like this.
  7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I would have figured aging musicians would make the best screenwriters...

B-Bob and BigM like this.
  8. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Bryan Singer. hes never written an interesting character in his life. pass.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Sooooooo . . .. They want the MID POINT of the movie to be Freddy's Death?
    Are they on Crack? LMAO!!!
    I might watch a little tributes about the funeral or some such but . . .for me the movie would have crescendo'd!!
    I would not give a FFFF about the rest of the band carrying on

99% of the world could not name the rest of the band if their lives depended on it.

Rocket River

TheFreak likes this.
  10. Jontro

Jontro Member

did not realize there was "the rest of the band" in queen. thought those were just paid stand-ins to fill the background as freddie does his thing.

Rocket River likes this.
  11. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

You can bet he's gonna litter the film with young no talent 20 something blonde twinks that passed his casting couch auditon.

Jontro and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  12. conquistador#11

When the pacific first aired I thought it was nowhere near half as good as band of brothers. Watched it on the 4th of July again and realized it's better than b.o.b. everything I've seen Malek he's been disturbingly great. So it's going to be fun seeing him play someone who loved to partay. I wonder what went into the sbc casting originally. They took a look at borat and some one said hmm if he slicked back his hair ...

13. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

he's not wrong

14. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Freddie dies, and the rest of the film becomes a showcase for the true heros—the business managers who continued to slowly and quietly wring as much money from his corpse as they could for 35 years, soundtracked to the tune of zero new music! THE STORY OF QUEEN.

Malek's good; I'll watch this. I just need everyone to agree first that nobody gives a **** about Brian May, the drummer guy, and whoever else is still part of the LLC.

B-Bob likes this.
  15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He's British, he's a decent singer/performer (was in Les Miserables), and supposedly was a big Freddy Mercury fan and would likely have put the work in to do the character justice.

At the end of the day, this looks like a puff piece about how great Queen was... not a Freddy Mercury movie... and that's a problem.

BigM likes this.
  16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

This is what happens when the people who hold the rights to the story hold the story hostage.

The story of Queen begins and ends with Freddie. Bar none. Without Freddie they are nothing noteworthy.

Caesar likes this.
  17. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Sasha can really sing! And he looks a little more like Freddy than Rami Malek, which is still a great replacement. I liked Sasha enough from Hugo, too know he can be good in dramatic scenes

BigM likes this.
  18. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

The wild, no filter side needs to be shown

19. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

For sure, Sacha would have been great and heck a little Hollywood touch would probably have him looking nearly identical to Freddy. I meant Sacha's explanation of what the remaining members of Queen wanted to do with this film was less than thrilling.

20. AkeemTheDreem86

This is dumb, and I'm a HUGE Brian May fan.