1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bogut calls out Kobe

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tigermission1, Jun 4, 2005.

1. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Wow! This kid has guts! But I totally agree with everything he said, looks like his head is screwed on right. I think the Bucks would be foolish not to pick him at #1.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/02/AR2005060201999.html

Bogut: Australian For Big Man

By Mike Wise

Friday, June 3, 2005; Page E01

For the past six weeks, most of Andrew Bogut has slept on a six-foot twin bed in one of those nondescript, two-story, free-continental-breakfast hotels along scenic Rockville Pike.

The other portion of Bogut? It has slept on a companion twin, smooshed together with the first bed to accommodate the length of a seven-foot center from Australia.

"It's not that bad," said Bogut earlier this week, beneath a ceiling a few inches taller than himself. "Really."

He's right. A foreign-born, skilled post player, tucked into the nook and cranny of a small American hotel room, is fitting.

See, we no longer make great big men in the United States. Young American ballers are enraptured by images -- sneaker commercials, videos, highlights. If an 18-year-old Lew Alcindor walked into a gym today, he would learn a crossover dribble before the sky hook. Everybody wants to play small.

We outsource the big-man job to China, Eastern Europe and now Down Under, where Bogut was born to Croatian immigrants and grew up to help teach us how to play our own game again.

He won every major player-of-the-year award in college basketball last season, his sophomore year at Utah. He has been called the best-passing big man since Bill Walton, a more athletic and committed version of Vlade Divac. Throw in his economy of movement -- the way he works the angles, understands the concept of using the glass and his shooting range -- and Bogut has a little Tim Duncan in his game, too.

"He's really a different breed when it comes to American players because of his attitude and demeanor," Bogut said of his favorite NBA player. "Tim has got a cockiness in a way that he's not cocky. He'll dunk on somebody, but he won't say nothing. They run back the other way, dunk on him and yell in his face. He'll come back, hit a jump shot. Won't say nothing. It's an awesome way to play, I think."

Bogut has been in town preparing for the NBA draft on June 28 in New York. His agent -- David Bauman of the District-based SFX firm -- expects him to go either No. 1 to Milwaukee or No. 2 to Atlanta. John Duren, Patrick Ewing's friend and a former Georgetown guard, works him out daily. He lives down the hall and hangs out with two European SFX clients, Drago Pasalic, a 6-11 power forward and 6-10 Nemanja Aleksandrov, another forward. They speak Serbo-Croatian, reminding Bogut of the language he last spoke fluently at age 10, and sometimes accompany him around town, where he and his large friends are usually gawked at.

Bogut has spent the last six weeks getting prepared for the NBA. He spoke in his hotel room on Tuesday night, soon after an exclusive tailor had driven up from Greensboro, N.C., to measure and help him choose his NBA prom night attire.

"There's tons of things you can do with that blue that could take it to whole another level," said the tailor, who also suggested matching the shirt with the colors of the team who will take him No. 1.

The idea was nixed, as was a suggestion by Bauman, his occasionally loud-dressing agent.

"Mixing stripes with stripes and even a tie with stripes is fine," Bauman said. "European style, there's no rules in that stuff. Whatever you feel like."

Bogut looked quizzically at Bauman: "I don't want to look like a chessboard," he said as the room busted up laughing. Bauman wants to know if all the fabrics considered are ketchup-resistant. The two go back and forth in front of SFX marketing and media representatives overseeing the fitting. A navy blue suit and a baby blue tie are eventually selected. No French cuff links. Just a couple of buttons on the sleeves. Simple and effective, like the development of the shaggy-haired, Aussie's game.

Bogut was only 19 last August, but he held his own against Duncan, a two-time MVP, in a taut Olympic qualifying game against the United States in Athens. Later, commenting on the state of American basketball after the Aussies lost a third-quarter lead and the game, he said, candidly, "They are some of the best players in the world, obviously. However, they're not the best team. They don't have the chemistry of a lot of European teams. The Dream Team played more European than what American basketball is now."

He expounded on that comment this week, buying fully into the anti-American hoop rant, the one where too many And 1 Skip-to-My-Lou videos and not enough dedication to the craft make for flawed games and bronze medals. How growing humility and talent from abroad has humbled us at home.

"The problem these days is money, and the guys just all want to be all-stars," Bogut said. "That [Dream Team] was all all-stars, the best of the best. But they were professional in their manner, on and off the court. They weren't immature kids coming out of high school. Not to knock the high schoolers, but those players had had been through the college process. They learned to gain respect from coaches, Dean Smith and so on. Then they got to the NBA and they got beat up by other teams before they succeeded, Jordan getting beat up by the Pistons and so on.

"They learned to respect the game and they were unselfish when they played. One game, Magic scored 20. One game, Jordan scored 20. It didn't matter. 'Who cares? We're beating up on the world.'"

Bogut went on: "These days, guys play 82 games a year where the ball is going through them every game. All of a sudden, they train with the best of the best and there's not enough basketballs on the court. It's a cliche, but it's so true, I think. They really need to get more role players on the USA team, in my opinion, that aren't Dream Team caliber but just understand their role. You know, 'If you're open, shoot the three, defend your rear off and rebound. That's all we want from you.' There are guys in the league that do that, and every other country has that now except the USA. I think that's why the past four years everybody has caught up and started to beat up on the U.S."

Bogut was asked for specifics of the American attitude toward the game, what he does not like. Guess who's name came up?

"There's no one I really hate, but Kobe [Bryant] had a demeanor of being very cocky," he said. "What happened with Shaq. . . . If I had a chance to play with Shaq or Tim, if they told me to buy them groceries, I don't care, I buy them groceries. It's a gift to play with somebody like that. Kobe is probably one of the guys that, everybody knows it, he's got that cocky arrogance to him, everything has to surround around him the whole time. Otherwise, he doesn't function. That's the biggest example.

"If you're playing with Shaquille [O'Neal], a Hall of Famer, you keep your mouth shut and play if you want more rings," Bogut continued.

Candid? Definitely. Harsh? No more than what many current and former players have said about Bryant. The most striking aspect of Bogut's comments, though? An Australian, a foreigner, honestly telling Americans how basketball used to be in their country.

Here's hoping Bogut thrives in the NBA, if for no other reason than his voice will grow louder and possibly be heard amid the static.

2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

He is right in what he says but I am not sure if it is wise for him to critisize established players in the NBA, especially conisdering that he has yet to play a single NBA game. Rest assured, Kobe will mark his calendar for Bogut meet and expect him to get the D. Howard treatment. :D

3. 4cwebb

4cwebb Contributing Member

Yeah, there are plenty of things to be said to put Kobe's game in a negative light, but for Bogut to call him out *before* suiting up for a NBA team for the first time is just going to get him on the business end of a Kobe jam, and we'll get to watch it ad nauseum on Sportscenter (what with it being the Lakers and all).

4. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

He should emulate his "favorite player" by not calling out another player. I'm not sold on Bogut. If he doesn't learn to keep his mouth shut, he will be the #1 target for facials for many years to come.

5. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

I like this kid, he has guts. You'll never hear our YM say things like that about anyone, even if you robbed him at gunpoint and raped his gf.

6. dback816

dback816 Member

Woot

That's all I got lol, kid is great

7. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Methinks we have some closet Kobe fans in here. Or at least some closet Raefer Alston fans.

8. EMAN34

EMAN34 Contributing Member

I like what he said about Duncan. I know thats why Duncan is my third favorite player (Yao, T Mac), because he lets his skills do the talking. All the lesser players havent done ****, but talk alot. So hopefully Bogut is humble like that.

9. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Why would he? Just because Bogut does it doesn't mean everybody should do it. I agree with him, but people will use anything to slam Yao.

10. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Wow, facials. Those are only worth 2 points you know.

11. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Hey, I think I'll be in one of those next week. I'll say hi to Bogut.

12. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

So true. When you watch a game, there are always players (who are considered shotblockers) who will get out of the way and not even challenge a dunk simply because they don't want to get posterized. Basketball isn't about pride, it's about winning, like Bogut said, and playing defense helps you win.

I wasn't sold on this guy, and I'm still not. But I hope Bogut becomes a great player in this league. And even if Kobe does posterize him, who cares? He'll have the ball in his hands for 48 minutes and take 35 shots and shoot below 40% trying to do it. That's not winning basketball

13. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

of course bogut would keep his mouth shut and buy him groceries, b/c he's andrew bogut, big man ordinaire. kobe is a future hall of famer who finally got tired of being robin to shaq's batman. it's not like shaq lets you forget it or anything or doesn't have his own massive ego to keep rubbing it in. it's a good thing wade is so humble otherwise he'd already be sick of it considering he's the best player on the heat and has constantly had to hear how great shaq is all year and watch him get second in the mvp voting.

oh and

Young American ballers are enraptured by images -- sneaker commercials, videos, highlights.

what a breath of fresh air. i hadn't heard any good, original american basketball bashing in a while. good thing the foreigners are hear to save us.

14. jlaw718

jlaw718 Contributing Member

I'm not sure what being 'sold' on the guy has to do with anything he said in the article. I agree with his sentiments, though. Pretend it was a Shane Battier or a Dwayne Wade who was just coming out of school and had made these comments. Our ears would perk up a little because they hadn't proven themselves yet in the league, but we would still agree with most of the message. I like a little brashness in players sometimes. I don't think this kid is too scared of confrontation and it seems like he's going to put it all out there and let whatever happens happen. I hope he does well in the league.

15. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Bogut should really keep his mouth shut. First he talked about how he wouldn't play for the Hawks if they selected him #1 and now he is talking trash about a future hall of famer.

I hate Kobe as much as the next guy, but there is nothing I can't stand more than some kid who talks too much. Bogut hasn't even stepped onto an NBA court and has already done too much talking for my liking.

Bogut should really stop talking because he is going to be playing for one of the worst teams in the league next year and will most likely be fully responsible for turning that franchise around. He should start thinking about playing in the 1/2 empty arenas in ATL or MIL instead of putting down other players.

16. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

man, this guy will be the 3rd comming of jesus if he calls out carl malone too.

it is pretty ballsy (or foolish) to personally call out kobe like that, but you cant really argue w/ what he said...its true.

as far as dwayne wade, i agree that he is the best player on the heat, but its kind of the same situation that kobe had when playing w/ shaq. no doubt, he was the best, most athletic and most talented player on his team. the guy who you want taking over in the 4th. however, as we can now see with the lakers, none of that really means anything w/out a guy like shaq on your team. you cant deny that having shaq down there makes things a hell of alot easier. point being, that shaq doesnt need to score 40 points to dominate. his mere presence on the court changes everything.

wade looked more like kobe than kobe did this year.

kobe will never sniff another championship again (at least not as the leader of a team).

17. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

duplicate

18. foodworld

foodworld Member

I dislike Kobe as much as anyone, but given that he hasn't played in a single NBA game, Bogut's is not nearly good enough to call out anyone publicly. He sucks!

19. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Bogut is really asking for it. This guy hasn't even proven that he belongs in this league, and he's calling out a future hall of famer, and Americans in general. And it does make a big difference if he becomes a target. Shawn Bradley is universally hated in the NBA and players go out of their way to embarrass him. That kind of attention can be demoralizing to anybody unless you can back it up with your game.

Yes there's some truth to what he's saying, but it's still foolish to say those things to the media before you've ever stepped on the court.

20. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Whom he think he is? A college boy publicly comment on Dream team, American basketball, criticizing high schoolers and a NBA mega star, acting like he knows it all and already went through everything, and the truth is he hasn't played one NBA game yet.

I called that ignorant and cocky.

By the way, I was NOT impressed at all after watching his performance in NCAA tournament.