1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bobby Portis

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by rockets2012, May 27, 2015.

1. rockets2012

rockets2012 Member

[youtube]W3EUXeU9z7E[/youtube]

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Bobby-Portis-7167/

SEC player of the year with never-ending motor on both ends of the floor. One of, if not the, best offensive rebounders in NCAA. Rapidly improving 20 year old PF with decent primeter shooting.

He can defend multiple positions to fit into our 'switch' heavy defensive scheme, and his rebounding/hustle would likely earn him rotation minutes quickly from Mchale.

Young 2 way prospect with high upside and fit our style, I think Bobby Portis could be a good pick at 18 which is around his projected range in mock drafts.

2. malakas

malakas Member

I can't see how Portis will be a bust. He's the most safe pick of pf in that range and I really like him.
    Rebouding is about the only skill in the NCAA you can put your money in that it will translate 100% in the pros.
    He's not a sexy pick and he won't be a star and he doesn't have a huge "untapped potential" that gets the fans excited and the scouts drool, but he will have a long good carreer and I think from the first year he will be able to contribute in the Rockets.

3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

We're definitely at a place where safe picks on guys that can contribute to the rotation is a smart way to go. No need to gamble on high risk high reward players when you're contending.

That said, there is still a part of me that hopes we pick up Robert Upshaw in the second round.

4. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

I'm not sure safe pick automatically means low upside. Bobby seems to have pretty good upside if he continues to improve like he did in college.

I'm mostly intrigued by his motor, which is not something can be learned IMO.

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2015/05/nba_draft_prospect_bobby_porti.html

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Having a good motor is nice, but acting crazy means that you are vulnerable to getting in trouble.

6. alethios

alethios Member

Just ask the Denver Nuggets how they feel about Kenneth Faried.

7. HTine

HTine Member

I like a guy that plays hard, but dudes gotta chill with the psycho stuff. KG is not somebody people like. I guess if you produce, it doesn't matter. But it's basketball at the end of the day.

8. haoafu

It's hard to find the combination of NBA level motor, size, offensive rebounding, defense and shooting in a 20 year old. He'd be ideal in the trendy small ball in today's NBA.

9. haoafu

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/bobby-portis-blows-away-suns-staff-in-draft-workout-061815
    Suns has the #13 pick.

10. rockets2012

rockets2012 Member

11. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

I was hoping for him when he fell to us, no doubt, I remember the phone conversation with my friend (he was on Twitter while I ignored it, so he already saw the WOJbomb taken away). But I trust Morey and our scouts. I was fine with Dekker and if you're gonna be one of them jackasses that says "WHY'D WE PICK MORRIS OVER LEONARD??????? ARGGGGH MOREY IS A DUMMY!!!" then the simple truth is you are a jackass. It's tough to find good draft picks, let alone make every pick an ace. Hoping for the best for Dekker, and if Portis turns out to be excellent I won't be the one saying, "I told you he'd be the best in the league, maybe the best of all time!!!!!!!!"