1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bob McNair: We’re working on getting a quarterback

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rawbrah, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

Despite their flaws, both Teddy Bridgewater and Derek Carr would be better than any of the quarterbacks the Texans have trotted out the last two years.

As far as why Carr was a "no-go" probably had a little something to do with Papa Carr. Apparently he was such a huge pain in the @ss when David was here, it had a lot to do with a lot of the other players on the team having issues with David and his dad. And while I realize that personnel has changed since that time, the owner has stayed the same.

Only Bob McNair, Rick Smith and Bill O'Brien knows why Carr wasn't considered an option. The answer I want is why the last few drafts, quarterback has not been a priority?

I think at this point it's a huge error on O'Brien and could eventually cost him his job. I really hope that O'Brien doesn't draft Hackenberg, the guy was good as a freshman and regressed big time over his last couple of seasons.

2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I'm not necessarily interested in "better than Hoyer/Fitzpatrick". I'm interested in a legit franchise QB. I'd gladly sit through a couple years of retread as long as the guy we end up investing in is more Aaron Rodgers and less Christian Ponder/Blaine Gabbert/Jake Locker.

There was nobody to take last year after Winston and Mariota went 1/2. If you want to say QB wasn't priority in 2014 then fine (even though we did draft a QB). But please stop pretending like we ignored the position last year. Yeah, we didn't draft anybody but there wasn't anybody worth drafting either.

3. rawbrah

rawbrah Member

This year's draft class seems comparable to 2014's, or maybe even 2011.

In terms of prospects. Seems like 4-5 prospects will go in first and early second round.

We should just pull the trigger on the best one. QB play honestly cant get any worse then this year

4. rawbrah

rawbrah Member

^clarifying

The prospects are deemed talented but no truly elite prospects like Luck or Mariota

5. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Warren Moon is the best qb in Houston history as regards to the nfl drops mic.

6. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Third string huh lol. In the words of Bob McNair if Vince Young is interested in playing cornerback for us then we are interested in him. Your owner said that crap.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah.....I agree, what's your point?

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes....we all got a good laugh about that, Vince Young was a total bust as a QB though so what's your point?

9. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Ignore Tony Banks... again.

VY had some spark early on, but not enough skills to last.

I think we give RG3 a look, and hopefully draft a QB we like.

10. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

Everyone is interested in a "franchise quarterback", but how many are there in the league? Unfortunately they are not easily attained. The book has not been written on Bridgewater or Carr, so to write them off is ridiculous. You could have traded up to get Bridgewater or taken Carr instead of Su'a Filo. Both of those guys more than likely play better than what the Texans have had at quarterback. Hoyer has been in the league for a couple of years now and has proven that he is not a starter, any team in the league would take Bridgewater and Carr over Hoyer and its not even close.

Yeah so they took Tom Savage in the fifth round (compensatory after the 4th round), someone who played one season out of three in college. Yeah sounds like quarterback was a priority. The Texans were positioned to take a good quarterback in the 2014 draft and decided for whatever reason not to draft one until the 5th round. Now we get to see retreads and never-weres like Hoyer, Weeden, Daniels and Mallett trotted out there, with no one developing behind them.

11. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

Do we really want Brian Hoyer anywhere near this team?

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm not saying it was right that we didn't draft him for that reason. Just saying there are a lot of hindsight = 20/20 posters here saying it was a huge mistake not drafting him, and many of them are the same ones who probably would have gone ballistic if we had.

13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I understand what you're saying but:

A. You can't just say Savage was a fifth round pick. By all points, he was a fourth round pick.

B. He was mocked as high as the second round. When picked, it was widely believed that he was great value. He was taken with the knowledge that he would be a project. Every team knew he would be a project. Just guessing, the guy has played about 25 meaningful games of football in probably seven years.

We all know he was bungled this year. He shouldn't have been placed on injured reserve, but the franchise didn't plan on losing both of it's quarterbacks like it did. Placing him on IR may have set the franchise back a year, in the sense that, for all we know, Savage could be the quarterback of the future, and IRing him may have cost us finding that out. It was a bad move.

With that said, no one really knows what he is. It's too early to judge him. He looked just as good as Hoyer and Mallett last preseason (against lesser competition), and has certainly had time to learn the offense. He's certainly got the needed tools. The question is how does that manifest itself on game day? We may never find out...

All that said, I don't think the Savage pick was a bungled opportunity. I do think, though, that it showed that this regime, for some reason, has been intent on finding a low value quarterback that it can turn into a true NFL starter. It's an odd line of thinking, and whether by design or not (I'm honestly not sure), that philosophy's going to be vetoed with an iron fist by our owner. It's about time, too.

I'm excited for Savage. Mainly because I have no idea what he is. I've seen him perform fairly well, given his situation. I've also seen enough to make me worry that he's injury prone. I just don't know if he'll ever get his chance. He's got to stand up and take that opportunity by the horns. I just don't know if he can.

14. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Absolutely. 100% agree.

As with most football fanbases, about 90% of our fan base is irrational.

15. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Tony Banks was never given the keys to this franchise. If Texans give RG3 the same opportunity they just gave Hoyer I'd be shocked because certain qbs just don't get the benefit of the doubt here its like they have to see the trash qb fail first before they believe it themselves but a qb that actually would work they never give the chance to. We need a athlete with speed at qb or a qb with smarts, great arm and that's a gamer. No more choke artists or guys that are just good when the cameras are off or intelligent with talk to the coaches. Texans basically need to stop BS and do what needs to be done regardless of what the image may appear to be. If a guy brings a circus so what, if a guy has too many tattoos but is a qb that can win so what as long as we are winning is what should matter.

16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

And what QBs were franchise-defining players that were not only available to us, but also fit the criteria you're presenting?? Vince Young was a total and complete bust in the NFL, so if he's your only example, then you need to pound a new narrative.

17. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

We could have Peyton Manning right now. We could have Drew Brees right now. We could have Russell Wilson right now. We could have Colin Kaepernic right now. We could have Teddy Bridgewater right now. Those are a few. Bottom line we have not drafted effectively and we have been to picky during free agency. Texans are stubborn and get the players they want. They don't take the qb position as seriously as they should. Now they saying it's a priority. It's been over 10 years we will see. Schaub got 5-6 years and David got 5 years and Hoyer just got one. Fitzpatrick may be the best qb this franchise had lol and we didn't even make the playoffs that year. That's unacceptable for a city like Houston. Say what you want but at the end of the day it's straight BS and had good ol boy written all over it.

18. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Regarding Vince Young it's not even about a specific player it's more of the way this organization ignores taking the big risk that they need to take. People said Brees was a bust in San Diego but he brought Saint a super bowl and broke records. Hoyer has been trash his whole career but gets a chance here he shouldn't have got. Stop with the bs. Texans just gotta do what they gotta do... take a swing if you miss so what at least we see as a fan base you are trying to do the big things.

19. edwardc

edwardc Member

30-17 record as a NFL starter.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's just going to talk about the next Vince Young, Teddy Bridgewater.