1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bob McNair: We’re working on getting a quarterback

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rawbrah, Jan 13, 2016.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&quot;I was told that Derek Carr was an absolute non-starter as a draft pick for Texans &amp; that's a full franchise failure&quot; - <a href="https://twitter.com/CharlesRobinson">@CharlesRobinson</a></p>&mdash; Lance Zierlein (@LanceZierlein) <a href="https://twitter.com/LanceZierlein/status/687639601297543169">January 14, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Report: Carr non-option as Texans' pick in '14 <a href="https://t.co/Vip9XwELUd">https://t.co/Vip9XwELUd</a></p>&mdash; IG: GiGiapp (@gigitext) <a href="https://twitter.com/gigitext/status/687673779598667776">January 14, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

(1) Monitor status of proven veteran QB's that might, but probably won't become available (Drew Brees's contract situation in New Orleans, possible Lions-rebuild making Stafford available, ditto on Cutler in Chicago). This is probably pie in the sky, but it also the surest bet to improve the position immediately.

(2) Take a flier on a QB in the later rounds because like most years there doesn't seem to be a sure-fire QB at the top of this draft crop

(3) Prepare for the inevitable of having to settle for journeyman or back-up as there just aren't franchise QB's available for 1/3 or even 1/2 the franchises in the NFL. That means assessing keeping Hoyer vs taking a look at the Kaepernick's, Griffin's, Bradford's of the world, signing one, then hoping for the best while understanding that you are probably going to repeat the process next year

The position of QB has become so valuable with so few adequate choices that even the Andy Dalton's and Jay Cutler's of the world are considered nearly untradeable assets. With that said, I would offer up pretty much anything including J.J. Watt if someone was stupid enough to bite.

3. Nook

Nook Member

There are things to really like about Bridgewater, but he STILL hasn't shown the ability to get the ball down the field. He is captain check down.

The question is whether it is HIM or the system.

I personally wouldn't take Bridgewater at this point.

4. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

If it wasn't for his kicker he would be playing Arizona this weekend. In crunch time he shows up and he is consistent throughout the game with passes completed... this is the Texans though they will find an excuse to ignore another black.man at qb but call missing Derek Carr a fail. The Texans fail period.

5. conquistador#11

that's a bunch of crap. people are just trying to justify as to why we didn't take carr. when it's simple, not BOB's guy. If he'd wanted carr, we'd have carr. He is kind of picky on what he wants, which blows my mind on how we end up with NE rejects.:grin:

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If it wasn't for his kicker, the Vikings would have been shut out entirely.....and if it wasn't for AD turning back into the best RB in the NFL, they wouldn't have been in the playoffs at all. The Vikings success or failure has very little to do with Teddy Bridgewater....but given that you brought race into a conversation where it had no business I think we all know what the basis of your interest in him is. Were you a Vince Young fan too?

7. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

shouldn't preclude us either way... if you're serious about upgrading the qb position you draft one both years. just address the damn issue until you find the one. enough of this stop gap garbage.

8. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I'm actually with bobby on this one... absolutely no reason to bring race into this one. Their kicker also scored all the points that game, and the only reason he had the final shot was a very questionable pass interference call on Chancellor against rudolph, followed by yet another check down pass for 3 yds to rudolph where he broke a tackle and ran it 20 yards...

9. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I think he's just waiting to find the right guy knowing that if he fails then he gone.

The road schedule this potential rookie might have will be scary.

10. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Derek Carr isn't anything special. His flaws were exposed in the latter part of this year.

Call me the hot take cannon but I really don't think he is going to be a great NFL QB.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm sure everyone here would have been totally cool with drafting David Carr's brother at the time.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He was still by far the best QB of that class and he could have been had in the 2nd round.

I had been calling for it to happen a full year before he declared for the draft.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Because the Texans are run by the fans right?

First McNair says he won't allow talented knuckleheads on the team even if fans really think he should and yet he folds because of a player's brother's reputation?

14. Nook

Nook Member

Great QB?

That is yet to be determined.

What we do know is that he can move the ball down the field, which is something we cannot say about a lot of the QB's being targeted.

If Carr was removed from the Raiders and thrown in the 2016 draft, he would very likely go #1 or #2.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Sure draft one, but JJ Watt has a 3-5 year window, let's try to win NOW.

DD

16. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Please. Stop posting.

17. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I would argue he may already be a great NFL QB; if you throw 32/12 with a 7.0 YPA in your 2nd year... I mean, that's a nice year-to-year ascension. His potential is fairly limitless.

18. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

There were reports at the time, before the draft saying the same. I believe it.

19. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Texans ignore black QBs?

Ignore Tony Banks and the third stringer we just had.

Sport is about winning, not race... at least player-wise it is.

Bridgewater doesn't look special, thus far.

20. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Not saying he couldn't have been successful here, but it would've been harder for him here than anywhere else. There would've been no grace period from the fans. The hate would've started at the first sign of struggle.