1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bob Lanier is a jackass. Who agrees?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Smokey, Jan 23, 2000.

1. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

One quarter away from the first Super Bowl for the Oilers/Titans franchise. Today should be one hell of a day for Oiler fans. This makes up for chokes vs Buffalo and Denver. It just wasn't our time. Our time has come. We have a good chance to win the big one this year. Im so proud of this team.

[This message has been edited by Smokey (edited January 23, 2000).]

2. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Man I dont want to talk about this. Watch the Titans win the super bowl. HOUSTON SURE LOOKS STUPID NOW.. Stupid ass bob lanier, I knew this team was going to get good.

I HATE THE TITANS AND I HATE BOB LANIER.

3. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

It would have been classy for one of the players, Jeff Fisher, or Bud Adams to thank the fans in Houston who supported this team for something like 35 years. That didn't happen and I don't blame them at all.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yeah, that classy Bud Adams. He held the city hostage offseason after offseason. He demanded that the Astrodome be redesigned to add more seats. He wanted the famous beloved scoreboard taken out. He swore he wouldn't leave. But guess what? Houstonians and Bob Lanier figured that he lied many times before, what are the chances that he would lie again?

Pretty good, I would guess.

We should have let him go to Jacksonville that one time. Then we could have already had the expansion team that Jacksonville had.

Let me ask you this. Would you buy a car that was a piece of crap, that would break down every 1,000 miles, despite what the dealer told you, if it only cost 10,000? Or would you buy a car for 40,000, if you were sure that it would never break down?

I would choose the second.

The Bob McNair model.

I hate Bud Adams. I hope the Titans get stuck in bad weather, and they have no time to prepare, and they get killed 66-0, just to see the look on Bud Adams' face.

I wonder if in two years, and the stadium isn't full because they aren't going to the Super Bowl, if Adams will threaten to move again? I'd bet on it.

5. Major

Major Member

Whether or not you think Bob Lanier made the right decision (I think he did, without question) should have nothing to do with how well the Titans are playing. Political and economic decisions should be made based on politics and economics, not the W-L record of a football team.....

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Freak, you're right, Shanna is right. Even though he/she didn't state Lanier was a jackass like you said.

Shanna is right on. Why should we have voted for a new stadium, or even given it a chance after he had already lied once?

If Alexander tells the citizens of Houston, that he will stay with renovations to the Laptop, and the Laptop is renovated, should we then vote or even have the chance to vote for a new arena just a few years later, especially if Alexander spends every offseason threatening to move the team?

You're the loser if you think that's OK.

(No hard feelings freaky deaky) [​IMG]

7. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I sedz it before and I'll Sayz it agin.....

I'm happy for the Titan's players, especially Bruce Matthews, for making it to the Super Bowl.

If they were still the Oilers, I'd be rooting for them like crazy. Instead, I will be drinking beer this Sunday and hoping for a good game in the Super Bowl.

Is Bob Lanier a jackass? yes.
    Is Bud Adams a jackass? yes.

The Oilers have got to be the only pro football team that moved due to an ego and personality conflict between two jackasses. One happened to be the mayor and the other one the owner. Both stiffened up their backs, had a big old country pissing contest, and Houston lost it's pro football team as a result. It never should have deteriorated to that point. [​IMG]

------------------
    Bring It!!

8. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Well, I believe RMTex has summed it all up for us.....what he said is basically the bottom line. The Oilers are gone in large part to a tiff between 2 old farts. Guess it's worth it to some.

R95 and Shanna -

You know, that really makes me and the rest of the die-hard Oiler fans feel a lot better.....we may not have the Oilers, and they may win the Super Bowl, but by-golly, Bob Lanier 'held Bud to his word'. How noble of a politician to be so concerned with people sticking to their word. Makes him look especially good now when he says the Rocket arena deal was 'good for the city'. Guess he wasn't planning on keeping his word when he said no taxpayer money should be used for a stadium? As long as it's not for Bud, I guess?

R95, no offense taken. To answer your question, of course the city should get to vote on some kind of a proposal. Why should Bob Lanier get to decide that the city of Houston no longer needs to have a football team? Geez, at least let the city itself kick them out if they want to, like they're trying to do with the Rockets. Don't leave it up to one old man and his ego.

9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

So R95, in other words Bob Lanier took it upon himself to decide Houston didn't need pro football anymore, refusing to even negotiate a deal and put anything to a vote in front of the city, all because he thought 'the chances are good that Bud would've lied'. I'm not saying the loser sports city would've approved anything anyway, but not even a negotiation? All I heard was 'no tax-payer money'. Seems to have changed his tune a little now, hasn't he?

And Shanna's right.......Bob Lanier is a jackass regardless of whether or not the Titans are winning. It just makes us all remember good ole Mr. Lanier a little better now that the team he helped kick out of Houston is now in the Super Bowl.

[This message has been edited by TheFreak (edited January 24, 2000).]

10. Major

Major Member

Bud Adams agreed to stay in Houston in exchange for several improvements to the Astrodome, which adversely affected the Astros. The changes were made, and he did not live up to his commitment... Why exactly was Bob Lanier at fault for expecting Bud to do as agreed?