1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bob Kraft: Putin stole my Super Bowl ring

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by basso, Jun 15, 2013.

1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kraft: Putin stole Bowl ring
    Last Updated: 1:31 AM, June 15, 2013

New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft revealed the real story behind a 2005 meeting with Vladimir Putin, during which the Russian president pocketed his Super Bowl ring, worth more than $25,000. Kraft, at the time, claimed the diamond-encrusted bauble was a gift, but he now admits Putin stole it, and the White House intervened when he demanded it back.
    Kraft explained the incident happened while Sandy Weill and other business execs were in St. Petersburg. “I took out the ring and showed it to [Putin], and he put it on and he goes, ‘I can kill someone with this ring,’ ” Kraft told the crowd at Carnegie Hall’s Medal of Excellence gala at the Waldorf-Astoria.“I put my hand out and he put it in his pocket, and three KGB guys got around him and walked out.”

Kraft released a statement at the time, “President Putin, a great and knowledgable sports fan, was clearly taken with its uniqueness. I decided to give him the ring as a symbol of the respect and admiration that I have for the Russian people and [his] leadership.

But Kraft really wanted the 4.94-carat bauble back, he said Thursday, admitting he’d gotten a call from the George W. Bush-run White House, saying, “‘It would really be in the best interest of US-Soviet relations if you meant to give the ring as a present.” (In fact the Soviet Union had collapsed 14 years earlier.)

But, Kraft said, “I really didn’t [want to]. I had an emotional tie to the ring, it has my name on it. I don’t want to see it on eBay. There was a pause on the other end of the line, and the voice repeated, ‘It would really be in the best interest if you meant to give the ring as a present.’ ” The ring is now reportedly kept in the Kremlin library.

Also attending the event were Andre Tippett, Vince Wilfork, Jerod Mayo and Tom Brady, who told us of Tim Tebow joining the Patriots, “I think the more great players we have the better it’s going to be for our team. I hope it turns out well because I’ve had a quite a lot of new guys . . . we’ll see.”

http://m.nypost.com/p/pagesix/kraft_putin_stole_bowl_ring_qtB16b5PI0jipYT6tQxUGO

2. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

You're Putin me on.

3. conquistador#11

I would rather putin steal tom brady or willfork.

thought this would be a kingcheetah thread since he is the go to putin guy. =)

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

It's weird Putin news week.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-06-13/vladimir-putins-man-crush-on-steven-seagal
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/f62myM2iPjE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

~Dressed up like a million dollar trouper
    Trying hard to look like Gary Cooper (super duper)
    Come let's mix where Rockefellers walk with sticks
    With Superbowl rigs in their mitts
    Putin' on the Glitz~

6. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

Old story.

7. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

hard lesson for Kraft

whenever possible, when someone admires one of my possessions, i say "thank you, it was a gift from my mother." Some people's vortex can be difficult to navigate.

8. Raven

Raven Member

He should have had a duplicate ring and worn that instead.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Thanks, Obama.

10. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

For real.

Must be a slow news day over at Faux news.

obligatory:

[​IMG]

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The rotten Russian oligarch, running around raping Kraft cheese. The nerve.

12. DwightHoward13

Let's send Dennis Rodman to fix the problem.

1 person likes this.
  13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Didn't his team cheat in order to get that ring anyway.

Karma.

1 person likes this.
  14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Ocean's 14: They have to steal Robert Kraft's ring back from the Kremlin!</p>&mdash; jimgeraghty (@jimgeraghty) <a href="https://twitter.com/jimgeraghty/status/346465601025363968" data-datetime="2013-06-16T22:13:30+00:00">June 16, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Seriously, I can just picture Putin snatching that ring and thinking what the **** are going to do about it capitalist?