1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bob Dylan to release '64 acoustic Halloween Concert

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by across110thstreet, Jan 16, 2004.

1. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I'm a big fan of the Bootleg Series, can't wait for this Volume 6 to come out in March.

Who killed Davey Moore and why and what's the reason for?

from www.bobdylan.com

On March 23, Columbia/Legacy will release Live 1964: Concert at Philharmonic Hall -- The Bootleg Series Volume 6, a two-CD set documenting the all-acoustic, October 31, 1964, Halloween-night concert by Bob Dylan at Philharmonic Hall in New York City. The recording captures a 23-year-old Dylan at a transitional moment in his career, two months after the release of Another Side of Bob Dylan, the last acoustic album he would record before heading into the studio weeks after the Philharmonic Hall concert to embark on the experiment that would result in the electrified rock heard on Bringing It All Back Home, several songs from which he previewed at this concert. Live 1964 will take its place as the only and earliest official release of an all-acoustic Bob Dylan concert.

Live 1964 shows Dylan at the peak of his early performing powers. Less than three years since his first album was released, he offhandedly jokes with his audience, fending off enthusiastic hecklers with deft wit and snappy comebacks, only to turn around and deliver blisteringly intense versions of protest songs, folk tunes, talking blues, love ballads and a few theretofore unreleased, indefinable songs, including "Mr. Tambourine Man," "Gates of Eden" and "It's Alright Ma," that would spark a musical revolution over the course of the next year. Joan Baez appears as special guest on four tracks.

Live 1964 comes in a brilliant box with a hardcover slipcase and a 52-page booklet with rare and previously unpublished photos by Daniel Kramer, Hank Parker and Sandy Speiser. The booklet includes a new essay by Sean Wilentz, the Princeton University-based historian and writer who attended the Halloween 1964 concert at age 13.

Disc 1
    1. The Times They Are A-Changin'
    2. Spanish Harlem Incident
    3. Talkin' John Birch Paranoid Blues
    4. To Ramona
    5. Who Killed Davey Moore?
    6. Gates of Eden
    7. If You Gotta Go, Go Now (Or Else You Got To Stay All Night)
    8. It's Alright Ma, (I'm Only Bleeding)
    9. I Don't Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met)
    10. Mr. Tambourine Man
    11. A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall

Disc 2
    1. Talkin' World War III Blues
    2. Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
    3. The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll
    4. Mama, You Been On My Mind
    5. Silver Dagger
    6. With God On Our Side
    7. It Ain't Me, Babe
    8. All I Really Want to Do

[​IMG]

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'll be buying it. Did you see that set list?? Can't wait!

3. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Awesome!!! Can't wait for this release.

I'm pretty sure the "Who Killed Davey Moore" on the 1st Bootleg series release, Disc 1, is from that Halloween concert. And there is a studio version of "If You Gotta Go" on that 1st Bootleg release as well.

There are some gems on the 1st Bootleg release (3 discs).

4. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

BobFinn*, the liner notes for Bootleg Series 1-3 say it way 10/26/63, so it looks like we will hear a different version on this one.

hey I hit 1000 posts!

5. BobFinn*

My bad 110th. I have been corrected.

That may be the best 1000th post ever:D

6. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I bought this bootleg on LP back in '88. It's awesome. He's really funny on it too. Lots of witty song intros. Won't spoil them unless asked. This was the only time he ever played Spanish Harlem Incident live. Great song.

7. BobFinn*

Welcome back Batman!

Hell we got 3 months till it comes out, spill the beans. Give us some samples of the witty intros:D

8. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

Just a couple...

He plays the intro to I Don't Believe You around several times before finally asking the crowd, "Does anyone know the first words to this song?" The crowd immediately shouts back in unison, "I can't understand..." and he picks it up from there.

The concert was held on Halloween. While tuning his guitar he hits a sour note and says, "Don't let that scare you... It's just Halloween... I got my Bob Dylan mask on. I'm masquerading..."

9. BobFinn*

Thanks Batman:)

10. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

my fav. Dylan song is DESOLATION ROW