1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BN: Atlanta wanted Walt but Rudy said no. What were they thinking????

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketsfan34, Feb 16, 2000.

1. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

My bad not BN, but bskball.com:

Chicago would be willing to broker a deal for Houston but wants Cutino Mobley as compensation, they have also offered Toni K to Houston which was declined, according to sources, a number of teams have inquired about streaky Bryce Drew, and Houston again declined, Atlanta made a push for Walt Williams from Portland, and has also done the same with Houston, again with little interest from Houston. Rudy T has said he doubted seriously they made a deal this year.

Here was the chance to unload Wiz and they didn't do it. Argh! Also Drew...what are they waiting for? Hmmm.....

[This message has been edited by rocketsfan34 (edited February 16, 2000).]

2. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Man, after all the years past of making deals and then not make a deal this year?

That is ridiculous!!

I would only trade Walt if Atlanta were willing to give up Rider.

I was previously hesitent to trade Drew, but the guy is too much of a defensive liability. I would, however, ONLY trade him if the deal seriously weighed in the Rockets favor.

------------------
    The key for the Rockets is a winning attitude and mentality which can only be had by winning basketball games.

3. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Guys, it's not like they don't want to trade Walt, or this was the only opportunity. They are probably looking at a different deal.

4. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Maybe they're trying to drum up more interest for these guys later by saying they're not interested in dealing now. You know, if Rudy and co. act like these guys are too good to give up now, by the summer maybe people will offer more. I don't know who would fall for that, but who knows.

5. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

Maybe the offer WAS Rider and that's why they turned it down. I certainly would have. No Sprewells. No Rodmans. No Riders. No Masons.

6. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

What about maybe getting Alan Henderson from Atlanta? His salary is pretty high. so Walt would have to be involved. He wa playing well 2 seasons ago, then he had some terrible illness that hospitalized him or something. The hawks didn't expect him to start producing for them until the second half of this season (which is now). I don't think I would part with Walt and Drew for him but I'm sure that something could be worked out.

7. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I DO THE DEAL FOR RIDER WITHOUT BLINKING. He may be a head case at times, but Rudy could and would keep him happy and at bay. With Stevie at the helm, how could Rider be unhappy? Rider need someone to get him the ball on the break and in the post. He played in Portland and played well, receiving feeds from Mighty Mouse. He would be a nice fit in H-Town.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Hoop T

I don't know about JR. He was right at the
    cusp of being a champion last year [probably
    would have been this year] and he was still
    not happy. What's up with that?
    Your personal Stats mean more than that?

he was on a fine ball club in portland
    but wasn't happy. I don't know what he
    wants but 20~30 shots a game would not
    be what I'd want for him here in houston.

Those shots goto STEVE!
    and I put Anderson ahead of him
    [unless we put anderson plays SF]

Rocket River

9. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

bskball.com is associated w/ therocketguy(whom I've read admit making up stuff before) is it a trustworthy site to begin with?

10. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

RocketRiver,
    I agree with you on the instability of the player himself, but how could you pass on Walt for Rider straight up? I don't think capwise it would work, but I do that deal and take a chance. Rider may have had his moments being unhappy and vocal about it...but the man plays and gives his all on the floor. Like I stated, if Rudy wasn't at the helm, I would not be pleading a case for Rider to wear Houston blue and red, but when has anyone, other than Pip-Squeak, been unruly in Rudy's system?

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

"I agree with you on the instability of the player himself, but how could you pass on Walt for Rider straight up?"

Easy. I wouldn't take that guy for free. Who's spot is he going to take, Shandon's? I'd rather have Anderson, he's a winner.

12. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

He takes Walt's spot. Rider is a potent and dangerous offensive player, and a pretty good defender in his own right. I never suggested he take Shandon's slot. But you can play both of them. Rider can play 2 positions, as can Shandon. That not only makes your bench deeper, but makes your starting line up more explosive.

Rider can just flat out play. He plays a team game. He is a smart player. Sure, he runs his mouth at times and displays a tantrum here or there, but I still take a chance on him if it were possible.

Just my opinion, doesn't mean it's right.

13. fan

fan Member

here here!!!! grummett

14. fan

fan Member

my opinion - I don't care what kind of player you are. attitudes and tantrums not welcome. don't need them!!!!!!!

15. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Rider is in the last year of his contract. If it means clearing cap space, I might consider it. Then, dump his sorry-ass at the end of the season.

However, Atlanta must have other guys in the last year of their deals on that team, so why take Rider?