1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Blu-ray is officially doomed

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Jan 11, 2007.

1. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

It is official; Netcraft now confirms: Blu-Ray is dying

One more crippling bombshell hit the already beleaguered Blu-Ray community when IDC confirmed that Blu-Ray market share has dropped yet again, now down to less than a fraction of 1 percent of all video sales. Coming on the heels of a recent Netcraft survey which plainly states that Blu-Ray has lost more market share, this news serves to reinforce what we've known all along. Blu-Ray is collapsing in complete disarray, as fittingly exemplified by failing dead last in the recent Sys Admin comprehensive video test.

You don't need to be a Kreskin to predict Blu-Ray's future. The hand writing is plainly on the wall: Blu-Ray faces a bleak future. In fact there won't be any future at all for Blu-Ray because Blu-Ray is dying. Things are looking very bad for Blu-Ray. As many of us are already aware, Blu-Ray continues to lose market share. Red ink flows like a river of blood.

All major surveys show that Blu-Ray has steadily declined in market share. Blu-Ray is very sick and its long term survival prospects are very dim. If Blu-Ray is to survive at all it will be among video disc dilettante dabblers. Blu-Ray continues to decay. Nothing short of a miracle could save it at this point in time. For all practical purposes, Blu-Ray is dead.

Fact: Blu-Ray is dying

2. VanityHalfBlack

Bluray disc are cheap as hell, especially on Amazon...

3. Raven

Raven Member

Sales are dwindling because of Netflix. Why buy when you can rent? And streaming is fine for small monitors, but not for a big screen, you still want blue ray for big screens. There's also ISP bandwidth caps, which are going to muddle the issue even further. Nope, Blu-ray isn't going anywhere, not yet, and not for a long time.

4. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

I use a combination of both. Lots of Netflix/HBO GO/Hulu, but I also buy a blu ray when the price is good. (usually around 10-12 bucks, or that recent 5 for $20 sale Blockbuster had)

While streaming quality has become very solid, it's still not as nice as a blu in the PS3 on my HDTV.

BR will be the last physical media, I think, but I'm fine with streaming tech as well so that's okay. Personally I think with the US's broadband situation, data caps, etc. etc. we are currently in the 'gray area' between any resolution.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

"I was proven right"

6. Roscoe Arbuckle

Link would be helpful...

7. KingCheetah

8. Roscoe Arbuckle

Pointless post is pointless. Did something new come up, or did you dig this old-ass thread up for attention?

9. KingCheetah

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I'm glad we finally have resolution to the war of HD-DVD aggression.

peleincubus likes this.
  11. KingCheetah

16k.

B-Bob and donkeypunch like this.
  12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

You failed to identify that p*rnography would transition from physical media to online streaming.

You have been proven an IMBECILE.

Your feline troop should abandon you in disgrace.

KING OF LIES.

KingCheetah likes this.
  13. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

You're right blu ray is doomed because we have 4k blu ray now... UHD Blu Ray, haha,

Until streaming isn't compressed and claiming to be 4k etc, yes it's 4k but the bit rate isn't close to blu ray, I'll still buy a few 4k titles yearly. Until 8k or whatever is next. It's the same/similar bullshit in the audio industry, if they left early cd alone and then compressed it correctly or just left options for flac/wav and then didn't over do the post production (starting in 95 or so) people wouldn't have gone back to LPs. ****ing buying LPs in 2018.... Thanks music industry for the loudness wars, and thank you people who think it all looks and sounds the same, let's all settle for mediocrity.

Here's another example wait for ATSC 3.0 (hell even now using current ATSC), and then wonder why your current cable/dtv provider doesn't look nearly as good with chopped macro blocking etc.

Don't get me wrong, I use streaming for both video/music, but if it's something I want real quality on when using higher end equipment you still have to buy the physical media unfortunately... Or find an actual uncompressed solution.

14. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Blu ray forever !!

15. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

The numbers are clear.

KingCheetah and Os Trigonum like this.
  16. cebu

cebu Member

I still have Betamax player.

17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like my zoopraxiscope

18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I still can't possibly comprehend how there could be HD-DVD fanboys like the OP

peleincubus likes this.
  19. KingCheetah

Big if true.

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Am I right, is there a huge thread about that here??