1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Blu-ray is officially doomed

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Ha Ha Ha that would be so awesome to see. I also agree that the dude completely overreacted. You handled it like a little kid. Smart ass remark on the first question, talking about his weight, and how jealous he is of you. That is some high school stuff right there.

"Your fat and jealous of me because I'm cooler!!" Yeah, I agree with the cashier when he said, "I feel sorry for you." That line right there, owned you so much that you just lost it. In fact, I'll vote that one for the most devastating comment made towards a bbs member.

2. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

You should have gone "KG" on that mofo. That would have been cool. Instead, you went RevengeOfTheNerds on him. Not as cool.

3. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

I remember back when I worked in retail. Asking a person if they actually had the player to play what they were buying isn't far fetched.

A lot of times, if you hadn't asked, that person would be in the return line the next day.

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

6. Southern Select

Alien movies to be released later this year. :)

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/articl...x-plus-alien-and-more-come-to-blu-ray-in-2010

If you you've seen any of 20th Century Fox's new films this year you've undoubtedly seen their new 75th Anniversary logo before the film started and in conjunction with the studio's 75th anniversary they have just announced six of the new Blu-ray titles we can expect this year as well as a poster series you may enjoy.

First off, set for quarter 3 and quarter 4 of 2010 Fox will release the Blu-ray version of the Alien Quadrilogy with all four Alien films digitally restored in a six-disc set with new extras and other Blu-ray releases include the 35th Anniversary edition of The Rocky Horror Picture Show, the 45th Anniversary edition of The Sound of Music, Michael Mann's The Last of the Mohicans in an all-new Director's Definitive Cut, plus Baz Lurhmann's William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet and Moulin Rouge!

7. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

Star Wars Blu-ray box set coming soon

http://bluray.ign.com/articles/108/1084415p1.html

C2E2 10: Star Wars Blu-rays in the Works
    Sansweet reveals details on the highly-anticipated Blu-rays.
    by Chris Carle
    April 17, 2010 - Today in the IGN Theater at the Chicago Comics and Entertainment Expo (C2E2), Lucasfilm Director of Fan Relations Steve Sansweet revealed anticipated information about the Star Wars films coming to Blu-ray.

"We have been at work for a couple of years working on—I won't call it the Ultimate Set because we keep finding stuff—but, a very full set of all six movies on Blu-ray with lots of extra material. We're finding all kinds of scenes from dailies that have never been seen before. Beyond all of those things that you know about… there are some real treasures."

When will the set come out? Sansweet says, "We're not ready to announce exactly when it's coming out, but it won't be in the too distant future."

8. KingCheetah

<MARQUEE>DOOMED</MARQUEE>

9. Southern Select

Soon is probably a long, long time from now.

I am looking forward to the Adywan dvd version of ESB and ROTJ more anyway.

10. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

i bet 4th q 2011

11. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

so i googled adywan

i figured there was some ridiculous fanboys out there didnt know they went that extensive into re-mastering the film themselves.

i am guessing its available via torrent only? i may download ep 4 to see how his version is

12. Southern Select

It rules, trust me.

Everything that was wrong with the Special Editions have been fixed plus much more. It is pretty much perfect.

Burn to dvd and watch on upscaling blu-ray / PS3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-iYH8b1UnU

It's not illegal and can be found using JDownloader and rapidshare. (it took me a few days though)

http://jdownloader.org/

http://www.fanedit.info/SW.html

13. Southern Select

oh - you will need to burn to dual-layer dvd.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

LOL at KingC. At least he sticks to his guns. The world is flat.

15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Who was the idiot who chose the music for that youtube clip???

16. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

shellatella: Thanks for that stratanica! you got that right. Yes I had to/was forced to change the music due to the Beatles like attitude of the superband MECO and they're copyright issues. The track I added is a little creepy I agree with you shadowselfballbag but it was the only track that would fit the 8 mins of the video. Please forgive me???

Apparently he had something better but was removed due to copyrights.

17. KingCheetah

DOOMED
    _____

Despite Price Cuts, Blu-ray Sales Are Dwindling

Home entertainment studios seem to have gotten over the whole "let's try and charge $30 for all new Blu-ray movies" thing, with prices generally closer to the $20 range. But general price cuts still haven't sparked the Blu-ray bonanza Hollywood was hoping for.

Deadline relays a report from the NPD Group that says 116 million adults bought DVDs or Blu-ray discs in a six-month period ending in March, down nearly 10 percent from the same period a year ago. The NPD calls the disc market "disappointing" and muses "Blu-ray may not be the replacement for DVD that many once hoped for."

To me, Blu-ray buyers seem to be a niche market of collectors rather than casual movie fans, since so many high-definition movies are available on streaming services.

If you buy Blu-rays, what spurs you to make a purchase rather than wait for the movie to pop up on Netflix?

link

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

KingCheetah- while I agree with you- I think it's a stillborn format, there are always people who like to collect things, which is why physical media will be around for a long time.

However, Blu-Ray needs to drop to around $5 for me to pick up a casual copy. I can't believe that manufacturing for these things is too much more than a regular DVD.

19. droxford

droxford Member

If I recall, this same behavior happened with DVD.

The change will come when the blu-ray players have more features and cost $100... and when blu-ray burners and media are dirt cheap. Right now, those are not true, so blu-ray sales will not take off as fast as the media companies wish.

20. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

It's not blu-ray's fault. You would have seen this issue if it was HD-DVD. Net-Flix would have killed anything any company would have invented.

Streaming Vid > Vid on any type of physical storage device