1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Blazers' summer goals

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by xiki, May 18, 2004.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Blazers News

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/1084881408205370.xml

Changes in store for Blazers

A trade for a big-name shooting guard and an aggressive stance in the free agent market are among the team's priorities

(Should Portland - Rox talk Cat?)

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 JASON QUICK

It figures to be an intriguing offseason for the Trail Blazers and general manager John Nash, who said that over the course of the summer he will inquire about trading for a big-name shooting guard, explore signing as many as two free agents and ask Arvydas Sabonis if he wants to play in Portland next season.

Throw in two first-round draft picks -- probably Nos. 13 and 23 -- and the Blazers' roster figures to be dramatically different next fall.

"It's exciting," Nash said Monday. "I think we have significant options in the free agent market, and we have identified that we probably have an extra front-court player to trade, and that we will be aggressive in trying to make the best of those opportunities. I think we are in a much better position to improve the team than we were last year at this time."

But trade talks, wondering whether Sabonis will return for his third stint with the Blazers, and speculating who would be the best free agent fit are "a tad premature," in mid-May, Nash said.

The Blazers are concentrating on the June 24 draft, when they will have two first-round picks. They will find out the exact numbers of the picks May 26 when the NBA holds its draft lottery for the top 14 selections. The Blazers, who never have been involved in the lottery, have a .06 percent chance of getting the top pick.

In the meantime, the Blazers have a series of workouts planned for prospects, including today, with Oregon forward Luke Jackson, Saint Joseph's guard Jameer Nelson, Xavier guard Lionel Chalmers and Washington State guard Marcus Moore.

On Wednesday, the Blazers plan to work out centers Rafael Araujo from Brigham Young, 7-foot-3 Ha Seung-Jin from Korea, Richard Fox of Gonzaga and Jerry Sokolowski from Canada.

Mississippi State forward Lawrence Roberts, Nevada guard Kirk Snyder, Saint Joseph's guard Delonte West and Missouri forward Arthur Johnson are expected to work out Thursday.

This is the second wave of players to work out in Portland. Three weeks ago, the evaluated guards Romain Sato of Xavier, Rickey Paulding of Missouri, Ricky Minard of Morehead State and Greg Davis of Troy State.

The Blazers enter the offseason with concerns about their depth at guard, but Nash said that will not be the top priority in the draft.

"We are bringing in the players who we feel are going to be available at 13 and 23," Nash said. "My sense is we will select the best player available. But if we have two players who are equal, then we will lean toward which position we need."

The real buzz this summer doesn't figure to start until July, however, when the Blazers can start negotiating with free agents and begin serious trade talks, which probably will include forward Shareef Abdur-Rahim.

The Blazers can't negotiate with free agents until July 1, and they can't sign free agents until July 15. The Blazers hold two cards to lure free agents -- the mid-level exception, worth about $5.3 million; and the million-dollar exception, which actually is worth about $1.5 million.

The Blazers are expected to pursue, among others, Seattle guard Brent Barry, Atlanta guard Stephen Jackson, Denver guard Jon Barry and Utah guard Gordan Girecek.

Abdur-Rahim, meanwhile, will be dangled as trade bait. He is 27, and in the last year of his contract, which will pay him $14.6 million. Nash acknowledged that a tidy trade would be sending Abdur-Rahim to Seattle for Ray Allen because their contracts are almost identical, and he said he plans to initiate trade talks with Seattle, as well as other teams.

"But the reality is, I'm not sure what Seattle's plans are," Nash said. "And we are a long way from knowing what direction we will take. But I suspect there will be a lot of speculation over the summer with Shareef, much like there was with Rasheed (Wallace), because Shareef is an attractive player with an attractive contract."

Nash also said he again will inquire about Sabonis, who played in Europe last season for a team he co-owns. Nash said Monday he tried to lure Sabonis back in the midst of a tense April playoff race for the Blazers' final two games against San Antonio and the Lakers.

"Emotionally, it would have been a boost for us," Nash said. "And then we could have met face-to-face and talked about next year. But I have talked to his agent, and he made it clear that if Arvydas did return, he would only want to come to Portland. And we maintain an interest in discussing it."

Jason Quick: 503-221-4372; jasonquick@news.oregonian.com

2. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

If they're looking for a big-name shooting guard, Cat Mobley is not going to cut it for them. They'd probably prefer to take Steve and move him over to the 2 or play him less at the 1. That backcourt of Stoudamire and SF would be small, but with Ratliff in the middle, I think the Blazers might take a chance.

I think any trade we make needs to involve draft picks, and it doesn't seem like Portland is willing to part with #23. Rox are an unlikely trading partner candidate if they're wanting Ray Allen for SAR.

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

But does Seattle want to give up Allen for SAR? I tend to doubt it.

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

And I don't know if we want to help Seattle or Portland very much because they're pretty close to us talent-wise; with the right player, each could surpass us. The West is already pretty loaded.

5. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Luke Jackson is going to be a stud, you heard it first folks....

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

He was great alongside Wilt, won the championship!

7. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I saw Gooden completely take Luke Jackson's game away. He might be an OK role player off the bench in the right offensive system, nothing more with the bigger, quicker and more physical defenders the pros will throw at him.

I was wondering if Stoud and Randolph for SF and Boki or Mo might be reasonable. I am not a fan of Stoudamire, but he can hit the open jumper (OK for next year) and will have an expiring contract, Randolph of course fits the Rockets biggest need. Then we take the MLE or part of it for Barry or Swift or Etan.

8. JamesC

JamesC Member

I'd love for the Rockets to somehow get Ricky Paulding. Thats a dream though.