1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Blackbox Thread] What We Can Learn From Disasters

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BMoney, Jan 26, 2009.

1. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

So, the Rockets have managed to lose another game that was well in control. After being a team that has normally protected leads well over the last few years, the Rockets have been shaky in the fourth quarters. Why is this? Let me suggest a few reasons and see if anybody wants to add any ideas.

1. No set rotation. This is a work in progress because of injuries and perhaps some of Adelman's coaching preferences. I have noticed that he prefers to have small rotations. He also tends to want players to work their way out of slumps, rather than call time outs and substitute a lot. This may be beneficial in the long run, but it has been a real problem so far, particularly with so many different lineups to contend with.

2. Adelman's offense does not mesh with the skill set of his best players. Yao, McGrady and Artest have barely been on the court together, either.

3. The defense is not as good. Battier has taken a while to get going. Chuck Hayes has only recently been getting minutes and has not been as awesome as in the past. Landry and Scola are subpar defensively, overall. McGrady just does not have the lateral quickness to be effective, either. Artest has been pretty disappointing defensively, as well. He tends to go off the reservation and freelance.

That's what I could come up with. Any other suggestions?

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Bench Tmac until he is not afraid. Play the guys that play hard...start Wafer.

DD

3. bigthree08

bigthree08 Member

that's not gonna help parking him on the bench
    play his ass and let him get into shape perhaps some of his explosiveness
    this team is going nowhere without tmac in the playoffs

4. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

If they continue to let teams shoot at 45%, it doesn't matter what offense they run.

5. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

The team won't make the playoffs if TSlack plays 30 minutes of more every game. The bottom line: HE HURTS THE TEAM.

6. bigthree08

bigthree08 Member

how do you expect ppl to take you seriously
    grow up

we need the a healthy team
    play tmac let him gain his explosiveness back we're gona need it

7. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

Playing TSlack will result in more losses. May I remind you that a few more losses puts us in 9th place and out of the playoffs?

8. Shaud

Shaud Member

You act like T-mac is the only reason we lost tonight.

9. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

He wasn't. Artest killed us on offense. TMac did his number on defense.

10. DaDakota

He had help in losing for sure, but his controlling the ball down the stretch was the main factor in the team not scoring late.

DD

11. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

4th quarter collapses has been this teams problem for years. The only common denominator is Les. They have happened under CD,the last three coaches and before our current roster. I think Houstons problem has been penis envy. We continue to get big name players and try to superstar our way through the playoffs. We need to continue to build around solid role players and quit bring guys aboard who have known issues.

12. BMoney

Having Yao back in the middle solves a lot of problems with penetration and having a dependable go-to players, but we blew leads with him playing, as well. The Rockets blew leads when Wafer was getting all of McGrady's minutes. I think it is simplistic to point to one, or two guys and blame them. I worry about their defense. To me, that is what they should hang their hats on. During the 22 game streak last year it seemed like their defense was so effective because they were not only hustling and playing with great passion, but they also communicated really well on switch-offs. They haven't been consistent with that and that might just be due to not playing together so much.

13. bigthree08

bigthree08 Member

tmac playing over 30min = no playoffs this year
    wanna bet?

14. bigthree08

bigthree08 Member

wait til they all get healthy and we'll see about the defense
    we'll make a run in the coming months

15. DaDakota

This is interesting, did the Rockets blow leads and lose when Wafer was playing or did other teams make a comeback but the Rockets held on?

I seem to recall the Lakers game, but other than that it seemed the Rockets closed out better lately with Wafer in the lineup.

Tmac standing around dictating will cause this team to fail..again.....11 years of data do no lie.

DD

16. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

TMac also doesn't run back on D which leads to easy transition buckets for the other team. That isn't good when you're trying to hold on to the lead.

17. God's Son

God's Son Member

i see no one is mentioning defense again

this is the real problem with teams catering to the fans, the fans dont care about defense and they want to watch fun freestyling offense and only complain when offense is not smooth, but rare if ever do they complain about horrid defense

over the year the ONLY thing the rox did consistently was defense, it was and has been the only constant and there calling card. there wild inconsistent play this year and multiple blown leads is symptomatic of there crappy defense on most nights. if there offense aint going (which is a lot) they cant stop any1 from scoring

address the root cause and not the symptoms

18. Laoyi

Laoyi Member

Start Wafer over Lady right now. When Lady become better (if ever), get her back to the starting line up.

19. BMoney

Could you not pollute this thread with that misogynistic crap? You are only showing what a moronic little turd you are by going with the elementary school insults. You are just the kind of person to talk all that smack about someone from the privacy of your parent's computer, but if you came face to face with McGrady you would ask for his autograph. Just go away.

#19 BMoney, Jan 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  20. DaDakota

I would start Wafer over Tmac, he is just more productive.

And BMoney, I think a good number of people would tell Tmac to his face that he is babying it right now.

DD