1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Black Lives Matter activist claims white Jesus statues should come down because they're racist

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Jun 22, 2020.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Shaun King says Jesus images 'a form of white supremacy' that must go: 'They should all come down'

Shaun King said Monday it’s time for anything resembling “white Jesus” to be expunged from the public square.

The staunch Black Lives Matter activist made the comments as online activists continued to debate which statues and monuments were culturally unacceptable in 2020.

The May 25 death of George Floyd, a 46-year-old black man, under the weight of Minneapolis police served as the impetus for activists to tear down statues of historical figures like Christopher Columbus and George Washington.

“Yes,” Mr. King said regarding his support for tearing down images of Christ. “All murals and stained glass windows of white Jesus, and his European mother, and their white friends should also come down. They are a gross form [of] white supremacy. Created as tools of oppression. Racist propaganda. They should all come down.”

The activist doubled down on the matter in response to feedback.

“Yes, I think the statues of the white European they claim is Jesus should also come down,” he said. “They are a form of white supremacy. Always have been.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/jun/22/shaun-king-says-jesus-images-a-form-of-white-supre/

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Trying to stay relevant already

3. CCorn

CCorn Member

I have no issues with fictional characters getting statues. I would like a Baby Yoda one in my backyard.

4. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

KingCheetah likes this.
  5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

What is with you people and building statues for everyone from Jesus to Shaq?

6. Newlin

Newlin Member

I think most of the Jesus statues probably are a little too white.

But, I’m not very religious, so I’m not going to lose any sleep over this issue.

Two Sandwiches and Jayzers_100 like this.
  7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Actually, few historians doubt Jesus existed. I won't try to challenge your religious beliefs, but from a historical point of view most think he did in fact exist.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Shaun King LOL :rolleyes:

edwardc, jiggyfly, joshuaao and 4 others like this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

Somewhere in the cosmos and the multiverse Yodas absolutely exist...but how do you know he's actually green in any of them?

10. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

"Neo-Nazi Republican wants all Jews dead."

11. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

My fav is the Jesus was a mushroom theory.

12. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Neo-Nazis likely aren't Republicans because the Republicans are too Israel friendly.

13. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

lol I see a bunch of Jesus statues being advertised on my Cfs. Maybe I should buy some to trigger crazy people. Maybe I should get a buddy christ.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

You do realize that Evangelical Republicans literally pray for the day when like half of the Jews in Israel die and those that survive leave their Jewish faith and convert to Christianity right?

Growing up my Dad was the Deacon in an Evangelical church so I know all about the Right’s obsession with Israel. Israel is happy to take their tourism money but nobody should mistake their “support for Israel” as anything more than self interested prophecy fulfilling.

And yes... Neo Nazis at the moment are definitely Republicans. Do they wish Trump would go farther... yes. Are they cheering him on when he does 90% of what he does?... of course. MAGA is a rallying cry for Neo Nazis. Yes they are currently Republican voters. Hate to break it to you.

VooDooPope and Nook like this.
  15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Also Activists say provocative stuff to drive conversation on the topic they want to discuss. I think it’s actually a good thing for us to have a discussion about what Jesus really would look like. It sure as hell wouldn’t be Ewan McGregor or early 90’s Willem Dafoe.

Actually pretty ironic that Hollywood’s most bigoted director probably got the least Anglo actor to play Jesus in Passion. Still a White dude though.

16. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Funny how the Bible says Thou shalt not worship false idols, yet every depiction of Jesus is some bastardized version of what worshippers WANT him to be...

VooDooPope, No Worries and dobro1229 like this.
  17. conquistador#11

Why would that trigger people? He was the first social justice 'warrior' and the voice of the poor.

LosPollosHermanos and Andre0087 like this.
  18. conquistador#11

the Korean people and the "whey" of Christ

[​IMG]

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

lol

Nook likes this.
  20. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Shaun King jumped the shark. And all the Karen’s clutching their pearls took the bait.

If they come for the statues of the confederate Generals who is next JESUS?!!

I can’t stand conservatives who use their interpretation of their religion to justify their prejudices.

I swear social media especially Twitter and Facebook has made the world a worse place.

ROXTXIA, jiggyfly, joshuaao and 3 others like this.