1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Black Cinema] Art House Fav & Awards Contender Barry Jenkins 'Moonlight'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Dec 3, 2016.

1. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Racking up all kinds of awards and praise. The trailer alone deserves some award.

Given the subject matter I don't think the 'Madea' crowd is going to support this. It's more 'artsy' aesthetic and themes will likely turn off the Kevin Hart crowd. So who will support what is considered the best 'Black' film released since 12YAS?

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Best by who?

12YAS was not a good movie to me
    The subject matter here is not making me rush to see it. I just don't feel I am its target audience.
    The Subject matter maybe the reason it is getting so much 'push' in hollywood.

Birth of a Nation was an excellent film
    I am looking forward to FENCES and HIDDEN FIGURES

Rocket River

donkeypunch likes this.
  3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

more struggle films...

4. RocketWalta

RocketWalta Member

I'm a white dude so I don't know if I can comment appropriately on the black film part. Or maybe I'm supposed to. I can't keep track anymore. Can't wait to see this and "Manchester by the Sea" soon. Andre Holland is in this and he was excellent in The Knick. Anybody watch The Knick?

5. Buck Turgidson

Good show and he was indeed excellent in it.

6. VanityHalfBlack

Glad it won best picture. Phenomenal film in terms of cinematography and images.

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

To be blunt, the three parts played to me like 3 totally disconnected movies.
    1. An incredible award-worthy short film about a troubled boy's unlikely friendship. It's just like nothing I have ever seen.
    2. An okay but not that impressive short film about a gay teenager. It was better than an "after school special" but not by a lot. Acting was not nearly in the same orbit for this one.
    3. A very odd, clunky version of "my dinner with Andre" but with the main character (some buff guy) being the worst actor yet. It didn't help that he didn't have any dialogue to work with. And hey, I like a love story as much as the next guy, but the two dudes didn't have a lot of chemistry.

But I'm still happy it won. The first 1/3 was totally worth it. But once you take Ali off the screen, and the dramatic tension of that poor little kid's daily life, the movie goes way downhill, for me at least.

Rocket River likes this.
  8. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

12YAS winning as many awards as it did was a disgrace to the other movies it was going against. That movie won off of the subjact matter alone and thats it.

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I thought the first part of the film was stellar, just something I've never seen in a film. The conflict between a drug dealer trying to provide guidance to a kid whose mom is using the very drugs sold by that drug dealer. That was a very powerful story. The rest of the film was just a waste of time frankly. I think Boyhood was a much better film overall and that didn't win an Oscar. I think the gay story line was pushed by Hollywood to win the award and that's unfortunate. I haven't seen every film this year and it may well have been the best but it definitely was a tier below other top films I've seen in previous years despite that amazing first section of the movie.

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The Knick is a shockingly good show that is criminally under-appreciated.

Moonlight didn't do much for me. I'm not black or gay but I can appreciate the human struggle. I thought the style of the film was excellent and the acting was superb, I just found it kind of too slow for the most part.

11. RocketWalta

RocketWalta Member

I hoping that show gets a Wire like renaissance in the future. Aside from all the powerful performances, Soderbergs' visual style gave me indelible memories.

I loved Moonlight personally and think it's necessary to tell important stories of marginalized people in unconventional ways. The 3 actor thing had its problems and I found Harris to be kind of flat but overall it struck a strong artistic chord in me, if not a personal one.

Let's be honest, everyone will have forgotten about most of these movies in a few years. I'm glad to see Moonlight get the recognition it did so people can discover it later.

moestavern19 likes this.
  12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I broke down and saw it
    and I think you are spot on.
    After Ali left the screen it was just generic

The Cinematography was amazing but the story was meh

Rocket River

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Fences
    Hidden Figures - My personal winner
    and
    Birth of a Nation
    were better films to me

Rocket River

14. RocketWalta

RocketWalta Member

Saw Fences and while it was well acted, I kind of knew what was coming. Have yet to see Hidden Figures or Birth but I'll give them a look sometime if I see them on the movie channels.

So everyone was lukewarm on Moonlight huh? Different strokes, I guess.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The acting was great, but the movie felt surprisingly amateur for a Best Pic winner. I liked the style of it, but to me it lacked polish. I didn't realize going in that it was an erotic romance movie either.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Someone pointed out what it was for me . . . . When Ali left the screen . . .the movie dropped alot.
    After the First Story the other two was meh

as for me.
    Remove the gay aspect of it . .. and it was generic hood movie #1
    Watch John Boyega's movie. . Imperial Dreams
    I don't see anything marginally better in MoonLight

In fact I told friends. . . .. remove the gay aspect of the movie.. . and it is a Tupac Verse
    "Even though you was a crack fiend MOMMA
    You were always a black Queen, MOMMA!"

"Even though they sold drugs
    they showed a young n!gg@ Love."

I think alot of stereotypical generic hood movie isht got glazed over
    Half way through the movie.. . i thought .. . . oh I seen this story before

Rocket River

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Watched it and was disappointed given the reviews. It was okay for me at best, the first two segments were pretty decent the ending was bad.

The dialog always felt off after the first segment, the acting was good in the 1st/2nd segment, the dialog and interactions in the 2nd/3rd was off and seemed too fake.

Overall i'd give it a 6.5 out of 10.

18. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

A total Hollywood PC Oscar win.

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Well at the very least it beat La La Land. I just ****ing hate musicals. And that title. And Emma Stone's Fivehead.

20. Buck Turgidson

Iambic Pentameter, Rocket River style.