1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bitmain will be a Rockets sponsor for 2018

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Sep 20, 2018.

1. bmd

bmd Member

I guess this is like how the Rockets used to be partnered with ZTE... also a Chinese company.

[​IMG]

2. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

In our case. Our trash jersey looks better.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why not a kemah facility?

4. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

**** Bitmain. The whole point of cryptocurrency is so it won't be privatized like banks. Bitcoin for life.

moestavern19 likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

I really do not like supporting a team that does business with the Chinese, as they are disgusting and a risk to the rest of the world.

The only positive out of this is hopefully it will let the Rockets spend more on the luxury tax. Still not happy that Ariza is gone.

Swiss Roll likes this.
  6. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

that's racist AF bro.

Lawlruschang and MultipleSauces like this.
  7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Bitmain is in bed with Bitcoin Cash, Jihan Wu and Roger Ver are collaborators.

Both are bad news for cryptocurrency as a whole. Ver, with his hell-bent mindset on destroying Bitcoin, and Bitmain which marginalizes decentralization by producing ASIC miners that disrupt the whole point of crypto.

Boo.

8. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

The second crypto crash ended months ago.

Lawlruschang and Nook like this.
  9. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Both are puppets of the central banks from both sides of the pacific, they seek only to monopolize cryptos with vast mining complexes and wholly centralized distribution, then get the respective governments to regulate the **** out of it, AKA: protecting themselves from future competition, creating a state-backed monopoly.

Lawlruschang and Nook like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

No it isn't, it is disgusting how the Chinese government treats their own people and others.

They do not believe in basic freedoms and I will not support them or their businesses.

What they are in the process of doing in Africa is disgusting as well.

11. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

if you mean the chinese government then fine but to just say you hate the chinese and they're disgusting are 2 totally different things.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

"disgusting"?

It was worse during the Cold War when Russians would call us filthy Capitalists and Imperialist pigs. We tolerated it, since they are White with blonde babes, who we hoped to corrupt one day. But now, "Death to American Infidels" is getting a wee bit too personal, from brownies who make their women cloak themselves, so we don't even know if we like them or not.

As for Asians, I've noticed our improved relations over the years is directly proportional to the increase of blepharoplasty in the Orient.

Nook likes this.
  13. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

wtf what the hell is this sh*tcoin

Everyone should've pulled out of most crypto's 6 months ago lmao

14. photojoe

photojoe Member

Actually, now that you mention it...

Yes. Yes it would look bad at all

15. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

It was beyond obvious that he wasn't talking about the average person from China but the high level decision makers in their government.
    If a saying can be interpreted 2 ways, one of which is reasonable and pretty self evident and the other of which would render the speaker a racist or moron of the extreme order, most people in the world used to interpret the statement in the obvious and non-offensive way. On the internet, alas, it seems that the statement is construed to make the person speaking apear as vile/stupid or ridiculous as possible.
    I think you jumped Nook for no real good reason and ought to say, "my bad" instead of sort of coming back at the idea that he's saying the chinese are disgusting, which strains credulity to believe he was saying.

Corrosion, Nook, bmd and 1 other person like this.
  16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Rockets in bed with crypto. Rockets. Moon. Get it? Sell everything.... the team is doomed to bankruptcy.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

#38 PeterKingX, Sep 20, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    Lawlruschang likes this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

Honestly, I don’t really need to explain myself to you as you are not the arbiter of what is or is not acceptable or racist.

Having said that, I will make it very clear for you.... the Chinese government and those businesses that support it are disgusting. The Chinese government does not care about their own citizens or basic freedoms or human rights.... they are a danger and they are disgusting. Their government is the biggest challenge in the world. They support the theft of intellectual property, they support the oppression of all religions and they are abusive. I have spent a fair amount of time in China and the people that live there are often brainwashed and deserve better, as does the rest of the world.

China and Chinese businesses are exploiting Africa right now, attempting to sabotage businesses in the West and other parts of the world. The Chinese buy labor from concentration camps.

So yeah, the Chinese decision makers and the businesses they support are disgusting.

I get that it is a global economy, but I would far rather have an American company, a Western European company or a South Korean company sponsor the Houston Rockets.

I have zero negative feelings towards Chinese Americans or someone of Chinese heritage that doesn’t support what China is doing globally.

Little Bit and Roomba like this.
  20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Sorry for replying this late.
    Bitmain is not a partner I like to see associated with our team, as they are one of the most shady businesses in crypto and known to actively harm competitors in various ways.

There's a huge article about their monopoly and scummy ways, link here:
    https://blog.sia.tech/the-state-of-cryptocurrency-mining-538004a37f9b

One excerpt:
    "When we started Obelisk, we had numerous separate sources reach out and warn us that Bitmain plays dirty, and that if we try to manufacture in China, we will be stopped.

With that in mind, we brought up the issue to everyone we worked with, and proceeded cautiously with an American manufacturer that owned a facility in China. This was attractive because the prices were close to half of what we would have paid to manufacture in America, and manufacturing was going to be one of our largest expenses by far.

We did everything we could to keep the entity disconnected from Obelisk, and we hid the name of the manufacturer from our website or any public data, and we were very careful with who we gave the name of our manufacturer privately. We had a separate entity put in parts orders where we could.

After any reasonable timeframe to reach out to another manufacturer, after-hours on a Friday night, our manufacturer reached out to us and said with little warning or reasonable explanation that they would be unable to manufacture for us. Just as we had been warned, our attempt to manufacture in China had fallen flat on its face. This setback is estimated to have cost us somewhere north of $2 million.

We have absolutely no evidence that Bitmain was involved in any way. We’ve had other companies reach out to us and confirm that they’ve experienced similar things, but they too had no concrete evidence that Bitmain was involved in any way. I honestly was not sure whether to include this section in the blog post, because unlike most of the other things I’ve been saying, we really have nothing more than a bunch of warnings that ended up being correct to inform us.

But it’s well established in the industry that Bitmain plays dirty, and it’s been suggested to us from all sides that they have been and will continue making moves within our supply chain to ensure we can’t succeed, and that they do the same with all of their competitors."

Another one:
    "While we don’t know exactly how many A3 units got sold, we suspect that the profit margins they made on their batch 2 sales are greater than the potential block reward from mining using the A3 units. That is to say, Bitmain sold over a hundred million dollars in mining rigs knowing that the block reward was not large enough for their customers to make back that money, even assuming free electricity. And this isn’t the first time, they pulled something similar with the Dash miners. We call it flooding, and it’s another example of the dangerous asymmetry that exists between manufacturers and customers."

They recently also invested heavily in Bitcoin Cash, a cryptocurrency that is handled by shady guys that are telling people lies and manipulating newcomers. Roger Ver for example owns bitcoin.com, the bitcoin app and @bitcoin on twitter, but uses these platforms to promote Bitcoin Cash only and trash bitcoin. It's extremely misleading and a lot of newcomers have said they accidentally bought Bitcoin Cash instead of Bitcoin, seeing how they were mislead and didn't have a transparent way of buying bitcoin on those sites.
    Example of the app:

So yea, not a move I like.

heypartner likes this.